Parkerizing | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Parkerizing

Quirky design eh! I guess Suzuki thought that too when they designed their Gamma 500 Square four. I would suggest you contact Ken Rosevear from Utopia (near Barrie), Ontario as he does great work and knows tons about Square fours.
When the Suzuki was being raced ( like the Moto Guzzi 8 cylinder) almost all photos were taken in race trim. I couldn't find one with the fairing off. THe design sounds about the same except for the 2 cycle vs 4 cycle.

I'll make note of Ken.

For those of you that have come thru with so many tremendous recommendations, if I didn't send you a personal PM don't feel slighted, it's just that there are so many. You know who you are. The last rebuild I did on this bike was pre Internet. I got almost all my info from a fellow who had a Black Shadow. Yup, a Vincent. He scrounged a set of primary cases (3) for $5. To find all the people I needed to do the job took months back then. Had the wheels respoked, some stuff was rechromed, battery was replated and on.... In 2 days I still can't believed the amount of information that has come in. I may be an old guy but I have my own IT company so this technology isn't overwhelming.
The first rebuild was caused by stupidity on my part after I foolishly lent the bike to my ex best friend who had to appear in court for an accident naturally.

I don't think parkerizing will do it for you, in this cas the best solution.e. Try talking to them at Canadian crank and chrome. they'd likely know.....

I don't think parkerizing will do it for you, in this cas the best solution.e. Try talking to them at Canadian crank and chrome. they'd likely know.....
AS a layman, that's what I'm beginning to think. Seems that some moly treatment would be more appropriate. I'll be talking to the pros when I can pull the cam and take it in for them to look at. I may have discovered what the root cause was and it had nothing to do with a bad batch of heat treating as I first suspected. The cause may be something as simple as the type of oil.

Henry at Canadian Crank has retired.
Have you talked with Mike Partridge at Walridge Motors yet? If not do so.
Do you know Herb Bekkar? He got some Honda followers reshaped and hardened for me.

If Mike has no solution for you try Metex on Wilkinson in Brampton.
... and if none of those pan out talk to Ken McAddam (kneedragger88 on this site), he used to have a connection for heat treat.

Or Mega-Cycle Cams will do it for you, not cheap and will take a while BUT they do great work. Call them and talk to Barb. She is a very interesting lady, that knows more about cams than all of us put together, AND she owns half a custom grind cam company.

Last edited:
Pre rebuild pics.
It has taken some time to clear the junk around the bike so consequently the delay.

Maxed out on file attachments.

Last edited:
I was at the Las Vegas vintage auctions in January and saw a couple Ariels go across the auction floor. They have gone from quirky and interesting to being close to un-obtainable. Vincents are on the moon.
I has nothing to do with your original metal treating questions, but i had dinner with a guy that worked for Adler motorcycle in the 50's. His thought was continental bikes and british were built for 1/2hr commutes at 35-40kph. Nobody ever really thought out what coming to America with roads that were straight and 500 miles long would do to the engines that went great for a 1/2 hr @ 40kph..........

Absolutly you can use it on hardened metals, it was hugely popular with the US army for gun parts, rifle bolts and recievers are about as hard as you'll find.
It give an excellent wear surface and is very oil friendly, hence the prefence for gunmakers, it was much superior to blueing.
That said, there are a lot of engine coatings check this article

www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0612_engine_coatings

please dont do anything that may affect the historical/resale value of the ariel. I have a soft spot for that stuff.

I'm going for a beer later with an engineer that designs heattreatment ovens for aerospace . He tells me the anti friction/ corrosion coatings do work.

I am about to tear down this engine. One of the issues I have is doing something that reduces value of the bike. I m thinking of powder coating many of he parts that are now painted. Is this the type of process you are taking about when you comment on reducing the historical value?

I'm sorry WHAT?!?!?!

You're going to powder coat parts of your Ariel square 4?
I will ask that put down the spanner and back away from the motorcycle... slowly... hands where we can see them, please.

That would be like putting lipstick on a pig.

I'm sorry WHAT?!?!?!

You're going to powder coat parts of your Ariel square 4?
I will ask that put down the spanner and back away from the motorcycle... slowly... hands where we can see them, please.

That would be like putting lipstick on a pig.

I'm not sure how to respond to this post. I'm not sure if it's in jest or not. You seem to have a pretty firm opinion re a pig.

FYI powder coating Ariels is very common in restoring them in the UK.

I'm on the fence, certain parts with the advances in powdercoat finishes look like they were painted, there is hardly any texture in the finish. There is an odd disconnect on prices between the UK and US on bikes and whats acceptable in a restoration, barn find oily rag finish vs museum paintwork. The factory finish on many UK bikes was actually crap so...... that said, I would paint or have it painted. Its reversible and generally more accepted by the vintage market.

After a long hiatus due to a back injury, this project has been resurrected. The bike is to be rebuilt (not restored) it will be about 95% original.
I have disassembled the engine and to my surprise, the existing camshaft and cam followers are in excellent condition. There are minor scuff marks on both that will require attention.
I took photos before starting the tear down but don't know which phone or camera. Will post when they are found.

Back
Top Bottom