City of Toronto motorcycle parking exemptions/ammendments | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

City of Toronto motorcycle parking exemptions/ammendments

Scary Monster said:
“B. Despite any other provision in this chapter, where a fee is stipulated in this chapter for a given parking period in a parking space, the requirement to pay or deposit a fee and to use or activate the parking machine shall not apply to a person parking a motorcycle.”
In case you didn't notice this powerful statement:
“B. Despite any other provision in this chapter, where a fee is stipulated in this chapter for a given parking period in a parking space, the requirement to pay or deposit a fee and to use or activate the parking machine shall not apply to a person parking a motorcycle.”

This means we can park freely on streets with pay parking zones. I recommend printing this section out. Tent it on your seat when you park on the street. It's better to deter the parking gestapo than be inconvenienced by defeating them in court.

I park pretty much downtown...(U of T) and I haven't receieved a ticket once and I didn't know these provisions existed.

Skydekker said:
Enigma said:
Skydekker said:
djillogik said:
I got a ticket today for "Park vehicle on private property without consent". It was issued by the Municipal Parking Corporation and not the City of Toronto. I have never received a parking ticket like this one, its a white ticket rather than the usual yellow, is this valid?

It was basically just some guy sitting in his car waiting for people to park in the lot and walking off rather than going into one of the stores in the plaza. Does anyone have knowledge on such tickets?

Was that by chance at Scarborough Town Centre?

Most of my officers are licensed to write parking tickets and we write a fair bit of those and they will show up on your record when you don't start paying them. We do sometimes write a warning ticket (which is white) and that one doesn't carry a fine.

If you really want to find out, don't pay the ticket. The owner of the plate will eventually get a letter asking for payment.

Skydekker's right on this one. Keep in mind that a ticket on private property won't usually be given unless the owner(s) of that property complain about you parking there. I have a feeling that's not ENTIRELY true and that parking enforcement will be gung ho on making you learn a lesson, but that depends on the officer.

Example: Yorkdale Shopping Mall

I'll park right in between the silver posts in front of the Silver City entrance where lots of bikes park at one time. One night, while hitting a movie there with a friend, Parking Enforcement was stopped in the middle of one of the parking rows to my 5 o'clock. I parked the bike and went up to her window and jokingly remarked "You're not waiting for me to leave just to give me a ticket are ya?" She replied "Not unless you're asking for one?" I laughed and she informed me that unless the property managers/owners make a complaint on my bike, she wouldn't ticket me.

Take it for what it's worth. You roll the dice in these situations.

True, though Parking Enforcement doesn't visit either of our sites often since both our security officers are licensed to write parking tickets. Both these sites actively monitor parking in the morning and if you leave property you will have a decent chance of getting a parking ticket.

If its a yellow municipal ticket (that is endorsed by TPS) you have to pay it. All other color tickets don't have to be paid if you recive it in Toronto (keyword TORONTO)

The dumbest ticket ever...

I parked on the street at 9:00 for my lecture and I got the ticket at 9:10...apparently there is no parking between 7-9:30. Well, where the **** are the students supposed to park then TPS? Morons. :roll:

MLN21 said:

I parked on the street at 9:00 for my lecture and I got the ticket at 9:10...apparently there is no parking between 7-9:30. Well, where the **** are the students supposed to park then TPS? Morons. :roll:

What's so dumb about that? You parked during a time when no parking is allowed. As long as there's a sign, it seems pretty straight forward to me.

Is it not enough that we get free parking? I also has to be 24/7, wherever we want? Come on, don't be greedy. Just read the signs, and park for free. It's not that hard.

--- D

Duster929 said:
MLN21 said:

What's so dumb about that? You parked during a time when no parking is allowed. As long as there's a sign, it seems pretty straight forward to me.

Is it not enough that we get free parking? I also has to be 24/7, wherever we want? Come on, don't be greedy. Just read the signs, and park for free. It's not that hard.

--- D

I agree it's pretty straight forward. But, I'm not trying to be greedy. It's not a complex issue. Let motorists park starting at 9...when school and the offices nearby open > duh.

im a bit confused...
so this means that bikes can be parked for free at ANY curb side spot?
or just the pay and display? or even the metered spots as well?
and you can do it with up to 3 bikes as long as none of them are more than 60degrees from the curb rite?

can someone put this in a brief easy to understand statement plz >.<
like whats actually free parking and where we have to pay

wannaride said:
Skydekker said:
Enigma said:
Skydekker said:
djillogik said:
I got a ticket today for "Park vehicle on private property without consent". It was issued by the Municipal Parking Corporation and not the City of Toronto. I have never received a parking ticket like this one, its a white ticket rather than the usual yellow, is this valid?

It was basically just some guy sitting in his car waiting for people to park in the lot and walking off rather than going into one of the stores in the plaza. Does anyone have knowledge on such tickets?

Was that by chance at Scarborough Town Centre?

Most of my officers are licensed to write parking tickets and we write a fair bit of those and they will show up on your record when you don't start paying them. We do sometimes write a warning ticket (which is white) and that one doesn't carry a fine.

If you really want to find out, don't pay the ticket. The owner of the plate will eventually get a letter asking for payment.

Skydekker's right on this one. Keep in mind that a ticket on private property won't usually be given unless the owner(s) of that property complain about you parking there. I have a feeling that's not ENTIRELY true and that parking enforcement will be gung ho on making you learn a lesson, but that depends on the officer.

Example: Yorkdale Shopping Mall

I'll park right in between the silver posts in front of the Silver City entrance where lots of bikes park at one time. One night, while hitting a movie there with a friend, Parking Enforcement was stopped in the middle of one of the parking rows to my 5 o'clock. I parked the bike and went up to her window and jokingly remarked "You're not waiting for me to leave just to give me a ticket are ya?" She replied "Not unless you're asking for one?" I laughed and she informed me that unless the property managers/owners make a complaint on my bike, she wouldn't ticket me.

Take it for what it's worth. You roll the dice in these situations.

True, though Parking Enforcement doesn't visit either of our sites often since both our security officers are licensed to write parking tickets. Both these sites actively monitor parking in the morning and if you leave property you will have a decent chance of getting a parking ticket.

If its a yellow municipal ticket (that is endorsed by TPS) you have to pay it. All other color tickets don't have to be paid if you recive it in Toronto (keyword TORONTO)

Just a question...how can a security guard write a legally binding parking ticket? If you fought it, there would be so many loopholes u could use to get out of such a ticket.

ecyl said:
im a bit confused...
so this means that bikes can be parked for free at ANY curb side spot?
or just the pay and display? or even the metered spots as well?
and you can do it with up to 3 bikes as long as none of them are more than 60degrees from the curb rite?

can someone put this in a brief easy to understand statement plz >.<
like whats actually free parking and where we have to pay

The basic of it is:
- Any roadside pay to park spot. This includes pay and display as well as metered.
- Up to 3 bikes per spot.
- Bike must be parked at no more than a 60 degree angle.
- You are still limited to any type of timed limits. So if it says max. 3 hours that still applies.
- It is in toronto, this doesn't include Missisauga, Vaughn or other areas around the GTA that don't fall under David Millers control.
- Still have to obey those no parking/stopping signs that are in between certain hours, usually rush hours in the morning/afternoon.

thx for the brief, much appreciated

mat2312 said:
Just a question...how can a security guard write a legally binding parking ticket? If you fought it, there would be so many loopholes u could use to get out of such a ticket.

its legally binding because its written by municipal traffic enforcement, not security guards. private properties have them around to enforce parking regulation given to the private estats by the by-laws within the municipality.
and its not in the jurisdictioin of the provincial courts.
unless you wanna go to a small claims court, in which i believe there will be a court charge, implying that the ticket cost would be far cheaper to pay than to waste time fighting it and risk having to pay court fees

I got nailed this past spring when I parked my bike 90 degrees to the curb. I'd seen another bike park there the same way a number of times, but I got a ticket after a couple hours. I repositioned it so it was about 60 degrees and I was fine after that as well as on subsequent occassions. It was a test on my part to see what would happen and of course, it happened. What ticked me off though is that the "voluntary payment" is no longer, and the ticket was a set $30 instead of the old $20.

Tim

I am an ex security gaurd.
Security gaurds can write legal tickets if the property they are on has gone through the proper chanels with the city. The gaurds are then trained by the city. This is legal and there are no loop holes for court. The company that I worked for did this. If the ticket is yellow then it is a real city ticket. Private companies can have warning tags or even there own tickets but they can not look like city tickets (can not be yellow). The problem with some of these private tickets is that the city now allows then to charge. These charges are more then a city ticket. They will not imact your plates or anything but if the company chooses too they can send collectors after you and it will efect your credit. A friend of mine that worked security at Ryerson had this happen to him. He got a few of these fines at a private lot and never paid. I while later the collectors came looking for him. So parking on private property is never safe. Also Toronto parking enforcement officers can come on to any property that has been aproved for tickets in the city and give all the tickets they want without talking to the property owners. This is not common but they do it from time to time. At one property these a**es give our MARKED securty vehicale a ticket. So just a word of caution again private property is a bad place to park illegaly.
Also the new amendment that lets bikes park at pay and display with no ticket does not apply to private or municiple property.

Last edited:
Two or 3 weeks ago I parked right across the street from Level nightclub, In front of Therapy lounge. It was a pay and display area. I was not sure about the law concerning pay and display so I asked one of the many cops that jang around there if I have to pay. He said I have to so I did. I guess this was not in his line of work.
Anyways my question is. If they tow my bike for not paying parking,where I do not have to, who takes the towing charges?

You dont have to pay for the bike. But be carefull downtown around the clubs, you will not get towed from a section that is pay and display but you will get towed any where else.

So after reading this thread, I went for a walk and asked a couple of enforcement officers doing Yonge/Bloor/ Jarvis area what's their instructions on motorcycle parking. I got two very definite answers.
(1) Motorcycles and Scooters are allowed to park free in pay and display areas.
(2) Question: What are the advised parking angles and time allowed.
Answer : We are not specifically briefed on this. We are mandated simply not to tag motorcycles and scooters parked in the pay and display area.

A bunch of bikes (including mine) park at one of the metered spots behind Swiss Chalet near York Mills and Yonge. Sometimes 6 bikes are crammed into the one spot. These metered spots are larger/longer than spots furthur downtown.

We all park perpendicular to the curb. And are well enough away from traffic.

Never had any trouble. I guess as a group it's better?

I've seen you guys there!!!

Like the above post stated: i think the angle requirement is to prevent riders from jamming themselves between 2 parked cars...but I think there is a limit to 3 motorcycles/space.

Private companies can issue private "parking tickets" that are NOT city of Toronto Parking Tickets. They are not yellow, and do not involve by-laws or the courts directly. In effect by parking you vehicle on their property, you are agreeing to be charged an amount by that company. Although not a city parking ticket, if you don't pay it, they can take you to small claims court, where you will not have a leg to stand on, and they can send it to collections, which will affect your credit rating, which can be bad, if you need credit (credit cards, loans, mortgage, etc)...so you decide if it's worth it...

BTW, security guards can be licenced to issue City of Toronto Parking Tickets...

What about parking a motorcycle overnight in permit parking areas that are pay and display during the day?

For instance, a street is pay and display from 8am to 6pm, and permit parking from 6pm to 8am. A bike can't park there overnight, can it?

What about parking a motorcycle overnight in permit parking areas that are pay and display during the day?

For instance, a street is pay and display from 8am to 6pm, and permit parking from 6pm to 8am. A bike can't park there overnight, can it?

Um, I think you've answered yourself.

Back
Top Bottom