City of Toronto motorcycle parking exemptions/ammendments | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

City of Toronto motorcycle parking exemptions/ammendments

All good points but you missed that fact that all those spots designated for motorcycles and scooters will sit empty during winter months! I got a parking ticket for fail to display receipt on windshield today. The ticketing cop was ignorant about the by-law exemption for scooters and motorcycles. She issued the ticket any way after another cop near by confirming that there is such by-law. I have filed a complaint against the cop with OIPRD for abuse of authority. Will see what happens.

PS: on the ticket, make of my vehicle is Monolock. LOL

I have emailed my councillor and the mayor (mayor_ford@toronto.ca). I suggest people write their own emails, but here is what I wrote:

I am a new motorcyclist having obtained my licence in 2011. I ride a 250 cc motorcycle that gets outstanding gas mileage, conserving gasoline and polluting less than my other transportation, a mid-sized SUV.

The last few years, I have taken to riding my motorcycle daily to work, weather permitting, and on the majority of longer trips that I take in or out of the city to take advantage of its energy efficiency and easy parking.

I am very concerned about the proposal to end free parking and replace it with designated parking areas for motorcycles. I don't see how the city can possibly designate sufficient space on every block for motorcycles alone. Without that, will I be required to ride blocks out of my way to park?

At present, I can usually find small spaces between cars that would otherwise be wasted. If the new system of designated motorcycle spaces is implemented, more space will be required for motorcycle parking which could actually reduce the city's revenues from parking Since cars won't be able to park in the motorcycle spaces, there will either be insufficient parking spaces allocated for motorcycles, or there will be too many and the space will be wasted.

I urge you to reject this bad idea.

I forgot to quote this with my previous post...

Its only a "bad idea" to those who share our views.

But it is an idea that:
**discourages the use of motorcycles and scooters,
**is likely to result in fewer commuters using motorcycles
**will increase congestion on our roads
**will increase wear and tear on our roads
**will increase gas consumption and pollution

When I spoke with my councillor (Mary-Margaret McMahon, ward 32) the best I could get out of her is no one should get to park for free and if you are concerned about gas consumption and emissions and congestion, take the TTC. She told me that the vote at council was wildly positive to charge motorcycles for parking, that they did not have a plan in place to do that yet but that it was coming, and that because it was so positive, that no one on council will spend their time trying lobbying other councilors. While I appreciated Councillor McMahon's call, she didnt care - motorcycles need to pay for parking too was what she said.

Best bet is find a councillor who is supportive and let them know that people in their ward want free motorcycle parking to save emissions, gas, wear and tear on the roads, and to reduce congestion.

Actually your best bet is, if free motorcycle parking survives this coming season, you make sure that all candidates in the coming election know that your vote is contingent upon their support of it.

While I appreciated Councillor McMahon's call, she didnt care - motorcycles need to pay for parking too was what she said.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't city Councillors get to park for free not too long ago? I wonder if she cared about that issue....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't city Councillors get to park for free not too long ago? I wonder if she cared about that issue....

I don't remember what the current situation is but they at least used to be able to park free and got free annual Metropasses. I remember that they voted on the parking thing back in 2012, but can't recall the outcome. I did, however, find this little gem:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/20/councillors-vote-to-hide-parking-perks

Things are moving along according to this news video:

There will be a Green P app in 2015 to be used in parking garages, and after about a year of testing it will be available for street parking. Current payment machines will be upgraded with displays where you can type in your license number.

Once the new council is sworn-in in December you may want to contact your councillor: if you live in the city then the one for your home address, but if you simply commute in then contact the one that represents where your workplace is. As one person in the news report noted: by charging you'll simply have people stop riding two-wheelers and starting driving four-wheelers, which will make traffic (and parking worse).

Mobile Parking App is available right now, but I've yet to see the on site payment machines where you enter your license plate.

It would be discriminatory to expect all motorcycle riders to have a smartphone with a data plan.

Well, this thread seems old. So let me update this. You will get a parking ticket if you park at any of the GreenP Municipal parking spots(on the streets not parking lots) during Mon-Fri 9 AM - 9 PM of $50. I just got a ticket, disputed it, let's see.

From the 311 website:

Parking - scooters and motorcycles
Feedback
Back to Search

Motorcyclists/Motor Scooters can park for free at street meters or streets with "pay and display" machines (not parking lots) but only for the time period allowed by law (either 2 or 3 hours depending on signage).

Motorcyclists are not exempt from the parking bylaws, only from paying for the time allowed bylaw (permit parking regulations for residential streets still apply). For more information about the Permit Parking bylaw (Chapter 925), please visit the City of Toronto website.

I parked at Foster PL just behind Nathan Phillips for an hour 6-7 PM still got it.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Foster PL - there's a no parking sign - if you were before this sign (red arrow) where the two grey cars are parked, you would be ticketed. After the sign (green arrow), ok to park, and motorcycles don't need to pay.

rn3cHbh.gif

I've been parking on the street in new places (within the regs) and seen tickets on cars just today, and I've been fine.

From the 311 website:
Motorcyclists/Motor Scooters can park for free at street meters or streets with "pay and display" machines (not parking lots) but only for the time period allowed by law (either 2 or 3 hours depending on signage).

Is the timing enforced with tickets these days? I remember people telling me they park their motorcycles all day without getting any tickets. Has this changed recently, or have they just been lucky in the past?

Lots of employee bikes parked outside my work on Wellington. I leave mine for 8+ hrs and there is frequent parking enforcement. Have yet to see anyone ticketed.

Back
Top Bottom