Bike Mechanics 101 With Pegassus (For Noobs) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike Mechanics 101 With Pegassus (For Noobs)

Pegassus

Site Supporter
-
Never mind the hogwash of buying "stands" worth hundreds of bucks and special lifting devices to work on your bikes, I have picked up a few things I have taught myself.

I had not "maintained" my bike for at least 14 months, the battery was water-less, the chain had initiations of what looked like rust, I could barely take off the gas cap of my tank (hard as hell) and my brakes (front and back) were finished. Tonight I gave my bike a complete tune-up, right inside my apartment's livingroom :)

These are the things you will need to commence Pegassus Bike Workshop 101:

1. Simple tools, screwdriver (flat and cross), a hammer, 2 adjustable wrenches and a flashlight.

2. A newspaper so you can use the sheets as a carpet so you won't stain your carpet/wooden floor.

3. A car lift-jack just like you see in the pics below, they are $29.99 at Canadian Tire.

Look at the pics below and learn how to properly grease your bike and give it basic maintainence.

-

Attachments

• DSC00228.JPG
    DSC00228.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 638
  • DSC00231.JPG
    DSC00231.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 660
  • DSC00232.JPG
    DSC00232.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 633
  • DSC00233.JPG
    DSC00233.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:
-
There's no need for special "stands" or "lifting jacks" to work on your bike, all you need is this $29.99 chinese-made car jack sold in Canadian Tire, or drop by my house with a 6-pack of Labbatt's Blue and I will lend you mine.

-

Attachments

• DSC00230.JPG
    DSC00230.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 506
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your really going to mess up newbs when they go looking for a cross screwdriver ;)

-
Never mind the hogwash of buying "stands" worth hundreds of bucks and special lifting devices to work on your bikes, I have picked up a few things I have taught myself.

I had not "maintained" my bike for at least 14 months, the battery was water-less, the chain had initiations of what looked like rust, I could barely take off the gas cap of my tank (hard as hell) and my brakes (front and back) were finished. Tonight I gave my bike a complete tune-up, right inside my apartment's livingroom :)

These are the things you will need to commence Pegassus Bike Workshop 101:

1. Simple tools, screwdriver (flat and cross), a hammer, 2 adjustable wrenches and a flashlight.

2. A newspaper so you can use the sheets as a carpet so you won't stain your carpet/wooden floor.

3. A car lift-jack just like you see in the pics below, they are $29.99 at Canadian Tire.

Look at the pics below and learn how to properly grease your bike and give it basic maintainence.

-

ok. Let's knock these off one at a time...

First up, the stand. Sure, you could MAYBE use a cheap "chinese-made" $29.99 jack from canadian tire, but there are a couple problems here...
first off, a jack is completely useless for any bike with lower fairings, unless you want to take off all the fairings for every job. And that assumes that there even IS a decent place to put the stand. Lots of bikes have the exhaust running along the bottom, and there is nowhere to place the stand.

Secondly, I can't think of a single bit of "maintenance" you should be doing in which you should need a hammer. If you need a hammer, you are probably doing something wrong.

Third, I imagine a hell of a lot of newspaper would be necessary to keep your carpet from being stained if you spill some oil (or most other fluids, for that matter).

And now, two final points: If you feel you can properly explain how to "grease your bike and give it basic maintainence" (what exactly are you greasing, anyway?) using only four pictures, you are probably doing something very, very wrong...Oh, and do you really want to take maintenance advice from a guy who hasn't done any maintenance on his bike in 14 months???

-
There's no need for special "stands" or "lifting jacks" to work on your bike, all you need is this $29.99 chinese-made car jack sold in Canadian Tire, or drop by my house with a 6-pack of Labbatt's Blue and I will lend you mine.

-

Ya good luck getting that around the fairings on a sport bike. Or you can buy two and use it on each side of the swingarm!:rolleyes:

I don't know but I think you're supposed to fill the battery with distilled water.

You're maintenance tips really only applies to dirbikes.

Sorry man, that has to be one of the nastiest chain I've seen, you would have to clean you rims everytime, and maybe the unlucky driver's windshield behind you.

And you really don't need to dip the axle in that much grease man..just get cloth and rub some grease onto the axle.

You're really gonna screw some one over when they try to lift their bike right under the fairings with that jack.

OOPS: Mikey D beat my to it.

Ya good luck getting that around the fairings on a sport bike. Or you can buy two and use it on each side of the swingarm!:rolleyes:

I friend of mine has an R6 and the problem was solved by using a sheet of plywood and a pillow to lift the entire front end of his bike with this very same jack. The plywood (1 ft x 1 ft) is to stabilize the bike, and the pillow between the bike and the plywood is to avoid damaging anything fragile under the bike. Over 50% of bikes can be serviced using this mode of employment of a car jack as shown in the pic.

And now, two final points: If you feel you can properly explain how to "grease your bike and give it basic maintainence" (what exactly are you greasing, anyway?)

What do you mean what I'm greasing? The front & back axels, the gas tank cap's rubber (now I can open the gas cap with one hand without turning purple in the face), the chain, the levers, cables ect,ect.

Your kidding.........................right?????

Well, at least your trying.

I friend of mine has an R6 and the problem was solved by using a sheet of plywood and a pillow to lift the entire front end of his bike with this very same jack. The plywood (1 ft x 1 ft) is to stabilize the bike, and the pillow between the bike and the plywood is to avoid damaging anything fragile under the bike. Over 50% of bikes can be serviced using this mode of employment of a car jack as shown in the pic.

What do you mean what I'm greasing? The front & back axels, the gas tank cap's rubber (now I can open the gas cap with one hand without turning purple in the face), the chain, the levers, cables ect,ect.

No offense, but I'm not willing to take maintenance advice from someone that describes screwdrivers by "flat & cross", nor will a hammer ever come near my bike.

As for the axels, you only need a little grease on them is so they go in and come out easier, there's no need to have them coated because they don't (or at least shouldn't) be moving.

Lastly, I take a little more pride in my bike so I use proper stands that are stable (not to say using a jack isn't possible as I have used it in the past). I also use actual chain lube and cable/lever lube. If it's money you're trying to save, chain lube isn't that much more expensive than grease.

What are you trying here?
You want us newbies to ruin our ride.
Do you think your technic will work on my bike?
Use proper tools and equipment to make the job done right.
If you need a place to do the job,I am willing to lend my garage for you,just don't bring grease coz' I don't have chain on my bike.

Nice try Pegasus, however your tips will work on a dirtbike the weighs all of 250lbs (maybe). The tools we collect over the years do get pricey, but are necesary. Not properly torquing a bolt can lead to a very expensive repair down the road, that's experience talking!
I've personally done lot's of damage over the years while learning my wrenching skills and have been very creative to save a few bucks, the learning curve has taught me save a dollar to spend $10 later doesn't add up.
When using the term "newbie" always remember to someone else, you're the newbie! Even after 30 years ther are people with more years, miles, experience and knowledge than me and I still listen intently to their wisdom.
Cheers 8)
Aminal

PS- Tools
Canadian tire sells kits with ratchets, screwdrivers, wrenches...ect on sale for under $100. One of these will get you started for basic maintenance.(just don't buy workmate) later on you will need an asortment of more specialized tools, check your owners or clymer manual.

As for the axels, you only need a little grease on them is so they go in and come out easier, there's no need to have them coated because they don't (or at least shouldn't) be moving.

The wheels spin in the air? The axel sticks I greased in the pics are what the wheels spin around on, they certainly need grease. I've seen excavator arms being greased every morning by the operators, now do you think a bike axel doesn't grind against the axis of the wheels way more than an excavator arms swings back and forth?

Secondly, I can't think of a single bit of "maintenance" you should be doing in which you should need a hammer. If you need a hammer, you are probably doing something wrong.

The hammer is used only to slightly tap the axel sticks out of the bike.

After reading this thread, you have left no doubt that you are not even qualified to have a motorcycle license let alone teach people what to do with a bike ...

Pagasausage ... you suck

The wheels spin in the air? The axel sticks I greased in the pics are what the wheels spin around on, they certainly need grease. now do you think a bike axel doesn't grind against the axis of the wheels way more than an excavator arms swings back and forth?

The hammer is used only to slightly tap the axel sticks out of the bike.

I can't beleive you trust yourself on your bike.... :( I fear for your safety.. Lubing the axle is to help you remove it... Your "AXLE" supports your "WHEEL BEARINGS" in turn spins the wheel... Your one scary dude if your not making some serious jokes in this thread...

Back
Top Bottom