Regions with reciprocity agreements, with Ontario | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Regions with reciprocity agreements, with Ontario

Rob, I've found only one real reference in legal documents to this and it's highly convoluted. Can you point me to a good resource which cites these agreements on a government site? Typical to form, it's like trying to pin a live badger to a speeding car to read the HTA and surrounding documents.

You want to go to http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/ and do a search for the following:

ONTARIO REGULATION 37/93

R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 607

Sorry, I can't recall the section that includes full sharing of demerit information with Michigan and New York. I'll post it up if I can find it.

Thanks, that looks like it does the trick.

So if I pay the ticket, I won't see any mention of it here in Canada?
You're saying that the points will not come here, but what about the moving violation?

So if I pay the ticket, I won't see any mention of it here in Canada?
You're saying that the points will not come here, but what about the moving violation?

As has been stated previously only two States share more than fine recovery, and that is for a specific list of infractions.

States without such agreements:

Alaska
California
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Maine
Massachusetts
Nevada
South Dakota
Vermont

My Dad got a speeding ticket in Illinois, with the shape of some of those local economies, they'll make sure they get paid then act like you dropped off the face of the earth. I'm sure it would just take to much money and time to try and send the information back to Ontario.

It's been more than a year since I was charged for speeding 9 over in upstate NY (reduced on the spot from the original reading of 15 over). Plead it down to 5 over and paid ($80 + $250 for the paralegal). I just got my abstract yesterday and it's squeaky clean.

On another note, I came back recently from a 15,000Km trip to the west coast without being pulled over anywhere, although I could have appeared as obviously speeding to dozens of cops I passed in both directions, many of them in a stakeout position by the road or on the median (counting those I've seen, of course). I kept my speed in check through populated areas and reasonable on the highway, but otherwise rode as fast as I felt comfortable. It may be worth noting that I'm very noticeable by appearance (hi-vis helmet, big side/top cases, modulated headlight...) but not by the way I ride or behave in traffic.

I've also noticed that speed limits in US are often quite reasonable, if not outright generous. Regional two lane roads with speed limits of 65 or even 70mph are not uncommon. In many instances I found that I can't even exceed the speed limit without going out of my otherwise pretty wide comfort zone.

If you didn't pay a fine in any of those other States, then you could have had your Ontario license suspended. Also keep in mind that those States may keep their own records which means that a license that is valid in Ontario may not be elsewhere, and there may in fact be a warrant issued if you don't pay a fine there.

A friend got a speeding ticket in FLA, for 16mph over (61 in a 45) on August 10th, with 30 days to pay a $256 fine. It was in a Hertz rental car and he showed an Ontario D/Licence. FLA is not in the above list of states.

If he doesn't pay by due date, what is the likely penalty to him? I guess from above:
- D/L suspended in FLA? For how long?
- a warrant issued for him in state of FLA? For how long?

Is this right?

It's been more than a year since I was charged for speeding 9 over in upstate NY (reduced on the spot from the original reading of 15 over). Plead it down to 5 over and paid ($80 + $250 for the paralegal). I just got my abstract yesterday and it's squeaky clean.

I got a ticket in upstate NY (around Rochester) about 4 years ago. Fought it (there), got it reduced to 1 over (YES, 1 MPH OVER) and it "happily" appeared on my ON abstract.

I just received two tickets in Tennessee while visiting the dragon. One for crossing the centre line ($125) and one for doing a wheelie (careless driving. $148.75) From what I have read above, it is my understanding that if I pay the fines, nothing in terms of points will be affected on my Ontario drivers license. Is this the case?

I just received two tickets in Tennessee while visiting the dragon. One for crossing the centre line ($125) and one for doing a wheelie (careless driving. $148.75) From what I have read above, it is my understanding that if I pay the fines, nothing in terms of points will be affected on my Ontario drivers license. Is this the case?

That should be true though you have to realize that your license could be suspended as far as Tennessee is concerned, as these convictions could be sufficient to result in that.

As has been stated previously only two States share more than fine recovery, and that is for a specific list of infractions.
So those States are NY and Michigan if I understand this correctly.
My only concern is if that you ignore the ticket in another State, say Kentucky, they would be able to contact the Ontario MoT and have one's ON license suspended? In years past I've always just ignored the ticket and you may get some letters from them threatening to suspend your license but it never happened.

BTW I don't know why anyone is concerned about demerit points as it is the conviction that matters and stays on your licence for 3 years, the point are just two years. Your insurance company doesn't care about the points just the type of infraction and how many.

My only concern is if that you ignore the ticket in another State, say Kentucky, they would be able to contact the Ontario MoT and have one's ON license suspended? In years past I've always just ignored the ticket and you may get some letters from them threatening to suspend your license but it never happened.

BTW I don't know why anyone is concerned about demerit points as it is the conviction that matters and stays on your licence for 3 years, the point are just two years. Your insurance company doesn't care about the points just the type of infraction and how many.

It seems pretty crazy to me to ignore them, though - generally speeding tickets in America are way more reasonable than they are here, and ignoring them can easily result in something like an arrest warrant if you happen to wander through the state again in the future

As things get tighter and governments look around for more revenue, it becomes more likely that they'll chase out of State offenders for unpaid fines and, as TwistedKestrel mentioned, a conviction and failure to pay, in absentia, can result in a bench warrant. That means a future stop could end in jail, not with a little slip of paper.

I have no expectation of traveling through that State again in the future.
Of course that wasn't my question but rather if they can suspend my Ontario license?
My thinking is they can't?

I have no expectation of traveling through that State again in the future.
Of course that wasn't my question but rather if they can suspend my Ontario license?
My thinking is they can't?

If the State has a reciprocity agreement with Ontario then your renewal can be blocked exactly in the same way it would be if you failed to pay fines in Ontario.

Thanks.
The state as I mentioned is Kentucky, a 10 over speeding ticket.
So apparently that state has reciprocity with Ontario but I'm wondering if it has ever been tested for minor infractions.
I'll give you an example, about 7-8 years ago both I and a friend got a speeding ticket in upper NY state and as I understand it NY has had reciprocity for years. He promptly paid his ticket and sure enough it showed up on his Ontario drivers abstract as a speeding ticket.
I had a clean record and decided to take a change and ignore it. I got a couple of letters from NY threatening to suspend my license and I ignored those as well. Eventually the letters stopped and the offense never appeared on my Ontario abstract.

It seems like a low risk to ignore it. It's easy enough to order you owns abstract prior to renew to see if there are any unpaid fines and if so pay them prior to renewal. Why plead guilty and pay the fine guaranteeing the ticket will appear on your record?

I called the Driver Control Center (416-235-1086) Ministry of Transportation and spoke to an analysis.
Only NY, Michigan and the other provinces have reciprocity with Ontario.
Failure to pay a fine in all other States will not result in a conviction that will show up on one's Ontario license although it would not be prudent to drive in that State for the next few years.

Back
Top Bottom