Regions with reciprocity agreements, with Ontario | GTAMotorcycle.com

Regions with reciprocity agreements, with Ontario

Rob MacLennan

Site Supporter
Expect all Canadian Provinces to have reciprocal agreements with Ontario, with respect to infractions and suspension for lack of fine payment.

Demerit Points for Out-of-Province Convictions

• Drivers convicted of a driving related offence in the State of New York, the State of Michigan or any Canadian province or territory, will have home jurisdictional penalties such as demerit points and/or suspensions applied to their Ontario driver record as if the offence occurred in Ontario.

• Examples of out-of-province convictions where Ontario demerit points and /or suspensions will be applied include:
<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" height="177" width="507"><tbody><tr align="left"> <th width="50%">Traffic</th> <th width="50%">Criminal</th> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td width="50%">
  • Speeding
  • Fail to obey stop sign
  • Fail to obey signal light
  • Fail to stop for school bus
  • Racing
  • Fail to remain or return to the scene of a collision
  • Careless driving
</td> <td width="50%">
  • Motor manslaughter
  • Criminal negligence
  • Dangerous driving
  • Failure to remain at scene of a collision
  • Impaired Driving
  • Driving while disqualified or prohibited
</td></tr></tbody></table>States with reciprocal suspension agreements for failure to pay:

<!-- TRANSIT - HYPERLINK --><!-- .http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...00607_f.htm#s2. -->1. Alabama
2. Arizona
3. Arkansas
4. Colorado
5. Connecticut
6. Delaware
7. Idaho
8. Illinois
9. Indiana
10. Iowa
11. Kansas
12. Kentucky
13. Louisiana
14. Maryland
15. Michigan
16. Minnesota
17. Mississippi
18. Missouri
19. Montana
20. Nebraska
21. New Hampshire
22. New Jersey
23. New Mexico
24. New York
25. North Carolina
26. North Dakota
27. Ohio
28. Oklahoma
29. Oregon
30. Pennsylvania
31. Rhode Island
32. South Carolina
33. Tennessee
34. Texas
35. Utah
36. Virginia
37. Washington
38. West Virginia
39. Wisconsin
40. Wyoming
41. District of Columbia

Thanks for posting this Rob. You may also wish to elaborate on usual enforcement/reporting practices as (iirc) you posted something along those lines in a couple of threads.

Thanks for posting this Rob. You may also wish to elaborate on usual enforcement/reporting practices as (iirc) you posted something along those lines in a couple of threads.

How about, "Don't go more than 5 MPH over the limit in Ohio, because they WILL nail you and they WILL submit the fine"? Seems like they have State Troopers every 5 miles and they love their revenue. Also, they always work in pairs. If you see one, then his buddy is just out of sight over the next rise.

In most cases it isn't worth the costs involved for a State to do the paperwork. The larger the fine, the more likely that they'll pursue it. State is also more likely to pursue than County, or City.

I've noticed that they have more on the roads than we do. Drove across the country at about 5-10 over and I lucked out by not getting any tickets.
Here's another note of caution.. When they build 3 houses and a gas pump on the side of the road and call it a "town" they'll reduce the speed limit from 75 to 25 in no time and have a patrol waiting for you.

THank you for posting this.

I got a speeding ticket in NJ (20 miles over) on the freeway. If I'm understanding this correctly, if I just pay it, then the points DO NOT get sent back to Ontario? (I have an Ontario license)

My other options are, go to court, try to get it reduced. If I do this, and I get convicted, will the points get sent back over?

As you can tell, I'm worried about the points, not so much the fees so I just want to go with the cheapest and the option that will give me the least points.

Thanks for any information or links you might have on this.

J

That is correct. Personally, I'd just pay it and have done unless it has other consequences in NJ. For instance you can have your right to drive in that State suspended for a serious speeding offence, but it doesn't effect your license here.

Michigan and New York are the only states that have an agreement for demerit points? That's surprising.

I just rode down to the south coast of Maine (entered US at Gananoque, then through Adirondacks, then Hwy2 across vermont & new hampshire)...
...as I've got too colourful a driving record to enjoy travelling quickly here in Ontario it was really refreshing to drive where they can't suspend my license to drive.
I was moving Very quickly across four states, and didn't run into any problems. I assumed that had I been pulled over, there may have been fines to pay - but that my Ontario license would remain unblemished.
From what you're saying is this the case or not? It looks like this would have been true in every state I crossed except NY?

Thanks,

J.

If you didn't pay a fine in any of those other States, then you could have had your Ontario license suspended. Also keep in mind that those States may keep their own records which means that a license that is valid in Ontario may not be elsewhere, and there may in fact be a warrant issued if you don't pay a fine there.

Key words, "if you didn't pay a fine" ...

Usually with US tickets, all they want is to get paid. Ticket paid = not reported.

If you were bad enough to get thrown in jail or charged criminally or your license taken away, all bets are off. Keep in mind that in some states you can get a "reckless driving" or thrown in jail for a lot less than it takes here. The cops may use their discretion, or maybe not.

so lets say you may have received a notice in the mail about a ticket you may have gotten while travelling in west virginia and they threaten to suspend your license...i am guessing that means not here, but down there? when dealing with some friends who have received tickets while travelling in the states and they paid them, the info was then sent to their insurance company up here and their rates were increased...i have found that when said notice is ignored, nothing else seems to come of it...but then i would be avoiding those places for the next few years...or hand the wheel over to someone else...i tend to behave myself in the states that line canada, but after that it seems to be fair game...

Key words, "if you didn't pay a fine" ...

Usually with US tickets, all they want is to get paid. Ticket paid = not reported.

If you were bad enough to get thrown in jail or charged criminally or your license taken away, all bets are off. Keep in mind that in some states you can get a "reckless driving" or thrown in jail for a lot less than it takes here. The cops may use their discretion, or maybe not.

Doing 20 MPH over the limit, in Pennsylvania, will see you immediately trucked off to jail until you can be brought before a JP or judge.

- - -

Last edited:
Is this still current... and if I were to get a speeding ticket in Tennessee on... say... the Dragon... last week, would points apply? Looking at the original post, it looks like no.

Is this still current... and if I were to get a speeding ticket in Tennessee on... say... the Dragon... last week, would points apply? Looking at the original post, it looks like no.

Nope, assuming you have paid/will pay the fine.

Were you at the Dragon last June?

Nope, I usually go the first week of May.

Ha, alright, Tuono Rs aren't exactly common, I met another guy from Toronto who had one last year down there.

I saw three of them when I was down last week. And several RSV-Rs as well as a RSV4-R.

As far as I know the listing is still current and there are only two States where regular points would be applied for infractions.

Aprilias are far more common in the US.

Back
Top Bottom