+ Why we crash + | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

+ Why we crash +

I went down today. Attempting to make a tight turn on a bike I have less than 21 km experience on. I ended up on the soft sand and the front wheel went down. What did I do? Being the newbie and wanker that I am I grabbed a handful of front brake. Down we went. Thankfully only small scratches and a small crack that can be easily repaired. I put it to overconfidence as well as nerves on riding on the road for the first time. Sweet Jeebus that bike was heavy!

I think all new riders should ride paranoid for atleast one year.. Fear everything, be scared,

This will build up your "spidery sense" and keeping alert for danger will become more second nature..

As you become more experienced your paranoia and fear go away whether you want to it not.. But the alertness you developed will stay with you to a higher degree..

One more important thing...

Do not listen to the advice of everyone! There are many "stunods" on here that just give plain bad advice.. Use your common sense and when in doubt tread on the side of caution...

Go slow and try to ride your bike as if its a car..

Cagers are not expecting motorcycle type movements and quick lane changes and weaving. Etc. this sort of riding combined with speed is a bad mix

CBCanada that is very sound advice. I must be honest and say I was quite nervous on the road. I was surprised at how close drivers will come up to my rear tire. I'm trying to avoid traffic as much as possible so I can get the feel of the bike. While I was alone on the back roads it was blissful. Then the traffic and the tailgating....I wanted to get off my bike and have a face to face chat with the woman but I did not want to lose focus of the task at hand.

CBCanada that is very sound advice. I must be honest and say I was quite nervous on the road. I was surprised at how close drivers will come up to my rear tire. I'm trying to avoid traffic as much as possible so I can get the feel of the bike. While I was alone on the back roads it was blissful. Then the traffic and the tailgating....I wanted to get off my bike and have a face to face chat with the woman but I did not want to lose focus of the task at hand.

Just go at your own pace... Ride where you feel safe and comfy... When i first starts riding i went high side over the handle bars when i grabbed a fist full of brake.. This happened with less then 100 km experience...

In hind sight it did wonders for me.. I respected the machine much more (not that i did not before)

I respected the brakes much more and i took more interest in learning braking and cornering.

Take it as a learning experience and learn from it... And go into corners slow, you can always throttle fast out once you got your lean angle. But as a new rider you dont want to go in too fast and have to brake while turning.. That will cause you to lose traction

I found the most important principals next to the ones already mentioned is that we target fixate. Instead of looking at the immediate threat infront of you, we should be looking for a path around the object. Hence look where you want to go.

I found the most important principals next to the ones already mentioned is that we target fixate. Instead of looking at the immediate threat infront of you, we should be looking for a path around the object. Hence look where you want to go.

This makes all the difference - even in turns! Your body will help track the bike properly to where you are looking. My GF failed her m1 exit because she kept looking 2 meters in front of the tire. Don't be afraid to look out into the world when on two wheels! The motorcycle can ride better than you can...

Didn't respect rule number one, last Oct took the bike out for one last ride as my car was acting funny. Cold tires, corner, too fast, got scared of how fast I was cornering and wiped out. Pretty slow speed and bike was more or less fine. I had a beat up knee and still messed up thump plus some gear was was ripped apart.

Won't be so carless again!

I ride pretty early in the morning for my commute, (pretty much still dark in the summer) and i have about 10km between my house and the highway on ramp(the once that goes 270 degrees), ride all last year and a few this year, i'm still afraid to go fast on it in fear my tires are still cold (prob not) but my biggest fear is there are debris on the road that I can't see till its too late (this is Stouffville road/404 so no lights). personally I don't think I'll ever get over the fear of something there so I'll just take it slow on ramps like these :D

the fear is real but being tight on the bike will cause more problems.
don't ride pass your headlights!
later

Happened on Canada Day

I *stupidly* rushed a corner and was kind of busy with thoughts ... Took a corner and was not experienced enough to deal with changing my cornering to avoid loose gravel. Nanoseconds ... The bike slid and I went flying but luckily I didn't go flying into the forest because the area had a metal barrier thing?

Luckily I only ended up with some bruise :) but the first bike is probably going to the dump :(

Ironically, it happened really close to home so I might have been less paranoid than when I was way up north .....

Last edited by a moderator:
Happened on Canada Day

I *stupidly* rushed a corner and was kind of busy with thoughts ... Took a corner and was not experienced enough to deal with changing my cornering to avoid loose gravel. Nanoseconds ... The bike slid and I went flying but luckily I didn't go flying into the forest because the area had a metal barrier thing?

Luckily I only ended up with some bruise :) but the first bike is probably going to the dump :(

Ironically, it happened really close to home so I might have been less paranoid than when I was way up north .....
Sorry for your loss, important thing is you`re okay.

Happened on Canada Day

Damn, only two weeks with the bike? Glad you're ok. Take it easy, you may hurt a bit more over the next few days.

Happened on Canada Day

Thankfully you are only bruised, sucks about the bike but you can buy another.

Damn, only two weeks with the bike? Glad you're ok. Take it easy, you may hurt a bit more over the next few days.

I know :eek:!

I was crazy enough to take it up North to the cottage and survived that. Went home for Canada day and BAM bye bye

Thankfully you are only bruised, sucks about the bike but you can buy another.

True

Happened on Canada Day

Glad you're ok. Curious, what bike ?

Back
Top Bottom