Bike Friendly Ontario Insurance People [2008 edition!] | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike Friendly Ontario Insurance People [2008 edition!]

I'm ressurecting the thread :)

Does anyone know if these contacts are still available? Time for me to start shopping :p

Seamus Kelly (State Farm) definitely is. Both my boyfriend and I just signed up through Janet at his office.

I'm paying $900/yr for a 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250. Every other place I checked (even Riders Plus) quoted me at least $1500.

Does any one know where I can get insurance for a Big Bear Chopper? Was with javco for 7 year with no clames now there sold and I don't know where to get insurance for a custom bike.

Is there an updated version of this list on this site? (I searched but couldn't really find anything other than the thread with the flow chart)

I'm back into riding after a 10 year hiatus and I want get the best rate for my new purchase. (new to me but its a used bike, nothing wrong with that).
I have all winter to find the best rate possible.

Called the whole list, lots of out of date info and went with Desjardins (Li Chen's office) who were the ones giving me the best deal and being the most reactive/available on the phone.

It would be nice to put together an updated list

It would be nice to put together an updated list

Agreed. This is all outdated (no surprise, not complaining).

We need to start a new thread for a master list to do mass phone calls for those looking to find the cheapest rates.

Here is a list I started putting together a while ago to keep track. This is a mix of brokers and direct companies because I haven't sorted them. Probably some overlap.

TDMM

Riders Plus

Dalton Timmins (Echelon)

State Farm

Wawanesa

All-State

Desjardin

Co-operators

Mantha

Intact

I have a few in my inbox and notepad. I will add more when I can and with contact info.

Once we have a decent list we should start a complete new thread

Add Open Road (openroadinsurance.ca) to the list, but they're a broker. I think it would be a good idea to separate the direct insurers from the brokers.

State Farm is now Desjardins, so you can get rid of them.

Add Johnson Insurance - I got my bike through them recently

What is bike friendly insurance?? Do they somehow know how to quote or service better?

Add Johnson Insurance - I got my bike through them recently

What is bike friendly insurance?? Do they somehow know how to quote or service better?

I would not consider Johnson to be bike friendly, unless the only condition is that they sell motorcycle insurance. I can get an employee discount with them, but everything I own is cheaper to insure elsewhere as a regular customer. Last conversation I had with them they said they can't insure my Hyperstrada because it's over 750cc and/or (wasn't clear) it's classified as an adventure/enduro/offroad, and recommended I try Rider's Plus.

I would not consider Johnson to be bike friendly, unless the only condition is that they sell motorcycle insurance. I can get an employee discount with them, but everything I own is cheaper to insure elsewhere as a regular customer. Last conversation I had with them they said they can't insure my Hyperstrada because it's over 750cc and/or (wasn't clear) it's classified as an adventure/enduro/offroad, and recommended I try Rider's Plus.
Well I have found that to be the opposite. Johnson quoted me the best rate, something like $500 below the next best rate from TD. Now I got a professional association discount (school association). I ride a cruiser and they had it in their systems, and is well over 750cc's. They did mention they do not insure super sports. Otherwise the service was better then most insurance companies. I tired Riders Plus, I always do, but they always want to put me with Echelon and the rates are much higher.

So how is it not bike friendly? Seem's insurance is just luck of the draw, nothing to do with being friendly. Put the insurer, your area, your bike, and experience together, and call around and see if you come up lucky with a decent rate.

Well I have found that to be the opposite. Johnson quoted me the best rate, something like $500 below the next best rate from TD. Now I got a professional association discount (school association). I ride a cruiser and they had it in their systems, and is well over 750cc's. They did mention they do not insure super sports. Otherwise the service was better then most insurance companies. I tired Riders Plus, I always do, but they always want to put me with Echelon and the rates are much higher.

So how is it not bike friendly? Seem's insurance is just luck of the draw, nothing to do with being friendly. Put the insurer, your area, your bike, and experience together, and call around and see if you come up lucky with a decent rate.

It's not friendly because they are prejudiced against certain motorcycles. Desjardins will insure anything I have asked them to quote, and I currently pay about $1/cc or less. When I was eligible for group insurance through The Personal, the 998 was only $500. Now that's friendly.

Try Ronn Calderon at NFP moto (formerly Dalton Timmis). An actual moto rider, easy to deal with, quick to respond, knows his stuff. Great rates, useful tips, and advice.

Back
Top Bottom