Corrosion protection comparison test | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Corrosion protection comparison test

Re: What S100 had to say

I was interested in some of the other ones as well like the Penetrant and the Snow and Ice prevention one. The Multi-Use leaves a fairly visible film on painted surfaces but I am also curious to see how it does. Might hold up decently as an under carriage spray since it creates a waxy seal.

Just to reiterate that my test(s) are limited in scope to stuff that is relatively widely available and affordable, applies easily, does not require pre-ride cleanup/removal and lubricates as well as protects. Dupont stuff satisfies those requirements but thick coatings like Krown do not.

Interesting!!
I understand both sides of the issue.
A backyard test done with good intent and letting his buddies know what he observed and felt.... No harm done ????
A company offended by his findings since this was not under controlled materials and a controlled environment. Hell !! .. I would be mad if this was my product that I manufactured and some guy snubs it on the net!

I just read the S100 response again and it sounds even less convincing from a historical distance. I have no pony in this race and no axe to grind. I use other S100 products and am very satisfied with most of them - Engine Brightener, Total Cycle Cleaner, Finish Restorer, Carnauba Wax...

I'll be more than happy to see the results of an independent test done by trained professionals in a controlled environment. Just mentioning a "salt spray" test and supporting it with a bunch of anecdotal "evidence" may be a good marketing strategy but does not impress me at all. My test was more than good enough for me to determine what's good and what's not, but I'll be glad if someone proves me wrong. Everyone else is free to examine and question my results and conclusions, decide based on them or do their own test.

Especially when you can coat your bike in WD-40 for $2.00 worth and its good for the winter in an unheated damp garage!! That stuff is harmless to everything.!! Hell... Arthritic people apply it to their joints and claim it works LOL

That was my conclusion exactly. No other product proved considerably better (even though ACF-50 came on top by a small margin) and all are considerably more expensive, less widely available, harder to acquire and potentially more harmful. At this point I see no reason to bother with anything else but WD-40 for all my combined lubrication and rust protection needs.

Excellent reading about all this !! PS Vlad, do the test again with one more test specimen coated in diesel fuel!! Lets see who wins!

Thanks, glad you liked it. Diesel fuel, although not really a lubricant, is a good idea due to it's price and availability. It will make a good extra control subject, I'll include it in future test(s).

How about good old motor oil? I am sure that has some good protection qualities

I thought about it, but there are too many variables for it to be a relevant test subject. Types, viscosities, aditives... I'll throw in a plain vanilla mineral 10W-30 or something similar if I have it handy at the time of the test.

How about this: I'll source a sufficient number and size of uniform test subjects and provide following protectants:

ACF-50
Boeshield
WD-40
10W-30 generic mineral
15W-50 Mobil1 synthetic
ATF
S100

Anyone interested can provide me with samples of other lubricants/protectants and I'll be glad to include them in the comparison test. I will perform the test outdoors over the winter under conditions as uniform and as controlled as possible. I can't promise the timeline yet, but it will be done. I'm accepting suggestions for appropriate test subjects of uniform quality and without any prior treatments that can be easily sourced and are relatively affordable. I'll consider a parallel aluminum/steel/iron test if feasible. I have some ideas for the test bed, but they have not fully crystallized yet, so I'm open to suggestions there too.

I thought about it, but there are too many variables for it to be a relevant test subject. Types, viscosities, aditives... I'll throw in a plain vanilla mineral 10W-30 or something similar if I have it handy at the time of the test.

True!
But it would be good to see what motor oil can do because they have anti-rust additives in there. A typical 10w-30 sounds good. I don't think the viscosity should affect the anti-rust properties.

True!
But it would be good to see what motor oil can do because they have anti-rust additives in there. A typical 10w-30 sounds good. I don't think the viscosity should affect the anti-rust properties.

It's easy enough to include, so it's on the list :). The viscosity shouldn't matter as far as rust protection is concerned, but I'd think that thicker would stay on longer or be harder to wash off by the elements. We'll see if we can add a 90 weight just to see if that assumption is correct :).

Back
Top Bottom