Engine Swaps? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Engine Swaps?

1100? bandit engine? bored out gsxr1000?

1100 air/oil gixxer as well as water gixxer.
However the Bandit is of the same family. For instance a 1200 bandit engine will bolt right in say a 88 Katana 600 or Gixxers of the same era.
As long as you stay with the family there are few mods needed. The 1100 uses a hydraulic master so you need to convert that. The sump and oil pick/up is also way low so that combined with the taller cylinders means either you change the pan and pick-up or the pipe. If you change away the pan on a water (1st gen) then you lose the oil cooler. The cdi will work however care must be given as the smaller bikes will have rev limits the big motor cant take.
Anyway with Suzi there are four eras they are pretty much mix and match
air/oil cooled GSXR,Katana,Bandit (85-92 and up to late model bandit)
Water Ist gen water cooled
SRAD
Water 2nd gen

Has anybody heard of someone in the area doing a YZF 750-R1 swap? That's a project that I've had niggling at the back of my noggin, would make a nice Gixxer-Killer.

Has anybody heard of someone in the area doing a YZF 750-R1 swap? That's a project that I've had niggling at the back of my noggin, would make a nice Gixxer-Killer.

yea ive heard about that... but i think hes gonna do alot of frame cutting

yea ive heard about that... but i think hes gonna do alot of frame cutting

I thought if you used an older carb'd R1 it was the bottom end that gave problems. I've heard of people using R1 heads and barrels on the 750 bottom end, but that could be because they really wanted to use the YZF close ratio tranny for track days.

I still think the YZF 750 was probaly one of the most underrated bikes of the 90's, putting 1000cc's into it would really be sick.

I have a friend who put the engine from a 2000 R1, into a 1989 zx7

Yea i was just about to ask that.. Will it be possible to use other manufacturer's Engine/tranny in say A Honda in a Kawa or Yami. U just have to make sure all the fluid flows and everything is attached properly right? I'm not mech, so can someone shed some light on using different manufacturers engines?

Bottom line is that you can put almost anything into anything. If money and time are of no object.
I thought the original question was regarding relative straight forward swaps. But if you are into cutting,pasteing and messing about almost anything is possible.
I watched the OCC guys build a chopper around a lawnmower engine ;) Which come to think of it isnt to far off a Harley after all.
Sorry coulnt resist :)

I watched the OCC guys build a chopper around a lawnmower engine ;) Which come to think of it isnt to far off a Harley after all.
Sorry coulnt resist :)

Lol, it actually didn't sound that bad!

Bottom line is that you can put almost anything into anything. If money and time are of no object.
I thought the original question was regarding relative straight forward swaps. But if you are into cutting,pasteing and messing about almost anything is possible.

well yeah thats what i pretty much meant, cuz i know that if you have money and time, you can put a hayabusa engine into a civic.. but the question was if it was possible with MINOR work

Jeeezz some of you folks ...

YZF750 and R1 are completely different in the shape of the crankcase area because the R1 has the transmission shafts stacked on top of each other and the YZF750, which is an older design, does not. (But, the YZF750 engine is same design family as FZR1000.)

Exchanging parts between manufacturers usually isn't practical except for parts that are "standardized" (e.g. bolts, headlight bulbs, turn signal flashers) or are very simple in shape and have few key dimensions (e.g. you might get lucky with something as simple in shape as a piston pin). For anything more complicated that isn't "standardized" in industry, the chance of having two entirely separate teams of mechanical designers coming up with exactly the same dimensions in every respect for all of the important details is pretty much nil.

Given enough cutting, fabricating, machining, and welding, you can make just about anything fit just about anything else. How much money do you have ... ? ? ?

YZF750 and R1 are completely different in the shape of the crankcase area because the R1 has the transmission shafts stacked on top of each other and the YZF750, which is an older design, does not. (But, the YZF750 engine is same design family as FZR1000.)

Yeah I heard it was the bottom end that gave problems, but apparently the R1 barrels/top end bolt in the 750 frame/bottom end without too much of a problem. There was atleast one R7/11 running around Mississauga but he sold it and moved.

Given enough cutting, fabricating, machining, and welding, you can make just about anything fit just about anything else. How much money do you have ... ? ? ?

There's a few Fiero's running around Hamilton with V8's in them, but the weirdest "WTF!" car I've seen was a 1956 Beetle with a supercharged 3.8 from a Grand National in it. Owned by a welder at Stelco, he had to make up this strange trellis rear subframe for the damn thing.

The Grand National had a kick *** engine. He probably ripped the engine right out of that beetle before putting in that subframe.

Dont know how different the engines are on the 06-07 gixxer 600 and 750 but I did learn that the headers are different when I was looking at some exhausts for my 750.

Exchanging parts between manufacturers usually isn't practical except for parts that are "standardized" (e.g. bolts, headlight bulbs, turn signal flashers) or are very simple in shape and have few key dimensions (e.g. you might get lucky with something as simple in shape as a piston pin). For anything more complicated that isn't "standardized" in industry, the chance of having two entirely separate teams of mechanical designers coming up with exactly the same dimensions in every respect for all of the important details is pretty much nil.

SUPER THREAD RESURECTION

Yes you can swap an 03 R1 engine into a YZF750... Just need to make adapter plates for the front engine mounts, actually pretty easy as far as swaps go.

Also a ZX7 will accept a 05/06 GSXR1000 motor pretty easily as well...

Back in the mid 90's in one of the EU biker mags, was a cbr400rr with cbr900rr motor squeezed in! Best swap I have seen so far, or was it the tripple 809 rotax in a bike from some guy up near huntsville!

Typically it is only *realistic* if the two bike models involved in the swap are in the same "design family"; i.e. they share their basic layout, which means there is a fighting chance of the engine mounts being in compatible locations, accessories in compatible arrangements, etc.

+1. From personal experience.......

Easy:

RZ350 -> RD400
RZ350 -> RD350LC
RD350LC -> RD350
FZR600 -> FZR400
B50->B25

Harder:

RZ350 -> DT200
KH500->RD400

Hard:

RZ350 ->FZR400
KH750 -> GSXR750

PITA:

RZ350 top end and crank on an RD350LC.

The most important thing is that the engine fits in the frame - otherwise you have a lot of cutting to do - and that the frame tubes dont block exhaust ports, filter and drain plugs, etc. The next most important thing is you have to get the Sprockets to align. This may involve swapping the swingarm and rear wheel and/or a lot of machining or offset front sprockets - which I try to avoid.

Brackets and new mounts can be made with some time and effort, it helps if you are a good welder or know one. Then its finding space for the new electrics and all the other bits and pieces. That part is easy but a good swap will almost look OEM.

+1. From personal experience.......

Easy:

RZ350 -> RD400
RZ350 -> RD350LC
RD350LC -> RD350
FZR600 -> FZR400
B50->B25

Harder:

RZ350 -> DT200
KH500->RD400

Hard:

RZ350 ->FZR400
KH750 -> GSXR750

PITA:

RZ350 top end and crank on an RD350LC.

The most important thing is that the engine fits in the frame - otherwise you have a lot of cutting to do - and that the frame tubes dont block exhaust ports, filter and drain plugs, etc. The next most important thing is you have to get the Sprockets to align. This may involve swapping the swingarm and rear wheel and/or a lot of machining or offset front sprockets - which I try to avoid.

Brackets and new mounts can be made with some time and effort, it helps if you are a good welder or know one. Then its finding space for the new electrics and all the other bits and pieces. That part is easy but a good swap will almost look OEM.

Please tell me why the rz350 2 fizr400 is Hard (difficult)?

Please tell me why the rz350 2 fizr400 is Hard (difficult)?

Takes a lot of mods to the Motor Mounts and the front cradle in order to clear the pipes. Fortuantly its all steel so not too bad to cut and weld. I believe there is a guy in the US producting custom cradles with all the work done.

The engine has to sit higher as well.

You also need to create a little frame to attach the motor torque bars.

Lining up the sprocket is a PITA without using an offset front sprocket. I had to mill the carrier so much I always throught it was weak

It was nice when it was done though, handled very well. If you are good at fabracating you should be able to do it.

Back
Top Bottom