Engine Swaps? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Engine Swaps?

Hi RPM

i got a question...

i know you can do an engine swap on a 600 gsxr and make it into a 750...
BUT
on what other bikes you can do an engine swap?

r6 with r1 engine?
600rr with 1000rr?
zx6r with zx10r?

SO once again on WHAT bike can you do an engine swap and making it stronger, but paying for a 600cc bike insurance wise??

PS I KNOW you can make an engine swap on almost any bike... but lets be seriouse... OHH and please post how much it could cost...

THANKS

Only bike that will be an easy swap is the GSXR, cause Suzuki are cheap and use almost the exact same frame for all three bikes..Not like the other manufactures that use completely differnt frames...

04/05 GSXR's 600's and 750's use the exact same frame so those 2 motors swap completley bolt on, nothing has to be modded...

I can and have put 04/05 GSXR 600 and 750 motors into 01-03 frames but I need to modify the frames for it to work properly. The frames are close but not exactly the same....And you can also put a GSXR 1000 motor into a 600 or 750 frame with slight frame mods or a bracket kit...

Besides that you can easily turn a ZX6RR into a 636, or even a 618cc

i got a question...

BUT

r6 with r1 engine?
600rr with 1000rr?
zx6r with zx10r?

SO once again on WHAT bike can you do an engine swap and making it stronger, but paying for a 600cc bike insurance wise??

PS I KNOW you can make an engine swap on almost any bike... but lets be seriouse... OHH and please post how much it could cost...

THANKS

Ultimate insurance sleeper: FZR 400+FZR 600 engine.

Buddy did this one back in the day, if I remember right it was a direct bolt-on but a little grinding on the frame rails was needed.

If u wrecked and insurance finds out u are screwed. Sorry to burst ur bubble.
If its a write off, u might not get a cent. But if u are willing to take the risk feel free.

i got a question...

BUT

r6 with r1 engine?
600rr with 1000rr?
zx6r with zx10r?

THANKS

Typically it is only *realistic* if the two bike models involved in the swap are in the same "design family"; i.e. they share their basic layout, which means there is a fighting chance of the engine mounts being in compatible locations, accessories in compatible arrangements, etc.

FZR400, FZR600, YZF600 (but not R6) are examples of bikes that are in the same design family.

GSXR's of various sizes are in the same design family if you stay within the same "generation". For example all the old air-cooled GSXR's have the same engine layout, and the newer liquid-cooled models have the same layout within certain ranges of model years but they are entirely different from the air-cooled versions.

ZX7R, ZX9R are same design family if you stay in the corresponding generations.

ZX6R and ZX10R are not even remotely close, neither are R6 and R1.

Going outside "design families" isn't necessarily impossible, but it is generally going to be a WHOLE lot more difficult. I've said this before: You can make anything fit anything else, given enough cutting, welding, machining, and money.

You can throw a early oil cooled (86?-91?) gsxr 600,750 or 1100 into a Katana. Or a Bandit 1200 motor will also fit with some tweaking.

Ultimate insurance sleeper: FZR 400+FZR 600 engine.

Buddy did this one back in the day, if I remember right it was a direct bolt-on but a little grinding on the frame rails was needed.

it is....use the 600 black box however....the 400 limiter is set high enough to grenade the 600 engine. i would suggest the yzf600 engine also...bit more work but 90ish hp in the 400 frame is....fun :) you will want to find a '90 swing arm that is braced however.

Personally done:
GSXR 750 to 1100 in oil and water (one on the bench right now)
ZX7 to 9 (one in the trailer looking for a donor)
FZR400 to 600
CB550 to 750

ohh wow.. so much trouble to go through just to fool the insurance companies..

BTW any ideas of what engine i can fit in a Honda CBR F4???? (just asking)

If its a write off, u might not get a cent. But if u are willing to take the risk feel free.

YEA im aware of that... but i wont write it off... cuz the insurance company will still make me pay more either way

Last edited:
ohh wow.. so much trouble to go through just to fool the insurance companies..

BTW any ideas of what engine i can fit in a Honda CBR F4???? (just asking)

YEA im aware of that... but i wont write it off... cuz the insurance company will still make me pay more either way

How about an F4.............I........Nothing else from Honda is going to go in easily, without some serious mods.....

The larger bikes from that time period use completly differnt frame designs, for example the 929/954 swingarms mount to the engine cases....

Its not that easy to tell the difference between an 04 GSXR600 and 750 engine. I have never heard of anyone getting caught doing this.

Only bike that will be an easy swap is the GSXR, cause Suzuki are cheap and use almost the exact same frame for all three bikes..Not like the other manufactures that use completely differnt frames...

04/05 GSXR's 600's and 750's use the exact same frame so those 2 motors swap completley bolt on, nothing has to be modded...

I never understood why the part numbers are different though for the frames and swingarms?

I never understood why the part numbers are different though for the frames and swingarms?

Who knows why Suzuki does that, Im trying to figure out if the 06/07 600 and 750 use the same engine mounting points right now for possible swaps. And its the same one of the last digits is differnt, so Im not certain if their the same or not untill I get to actually measure the 2....

Maybe they arent 100% the same(04/05) but everything bolted right up! And the wiring harness are the exact same....

Everything for the 04/05 750 has 30G at the end of the part number, and everything for the 600 is 29G...They both use the same wiring harnesses and they say 29G30 thou...so who knows maybe the frames are slighly differnt, or maybe they just make half marked 30G and half 29G...

OK, this is kinda off topic, but along the same theme. What if u changed ur engine from Kawa 250 to ZX10 (OK BAD EXAMPLE, but u get the point) and u get into a big accident.. Wont the insurance void ur insurance claim because of u somewhat defrauded the insurance company.. Paying the cheapest bike insurance possible with a SS engine...

Its like putting a S2000 Engine into a Civic. If u get into a big accident, the insruance company is going to find out and they are going to void ur insurance arnt' they?

OK, this is kinda off topic, but along the same theme. What if u changed ur engine from Kawa 250 to ZX10 (OK BAD EXAMPLE, but u get the point) and u get into a big accident.. Wont the insurance void ur insurance claim because of u somewhat defrauded the insurance company.. Paying the cheapest bike insurance possible with a SS engine...

Its like putting a S2000 Engine into a Civic. If u get into a big accident, the insruance company is going to find out and they are going to void ur insurance arnt' they?

Your using very bad examples, with the GSXR swaps the motors are almost identical and you cant tell the differnce just looking at them....The 600 and 750 GSXR motor are so close even I cant tell the difference when their both side by side without looking at the part number on the engine cases....750 has 30G at the end and 600 is 29G....

When I wrote off my 2001 R6 and claimed it through insurnace, the adjuster went to the shop I brought the bike to...Took one look at it and said "thats a write off" and left...Then the bike was picked up the next say by the bike salvage yard they use....Nothing was checked, they didnt tear down teh bike to CC it...The bike was pretty custom and I claimed over $5000 in aftermarket parts, still no questions asked and no check ups...

Bottom line you write off a 600 with a 750 motor in it and nobody is going to check anything....No if you through in a motor that barely fits the bike and is sticking out of the fairing with obvious mods to make it fit then you might have a problem....

And both people I did 750 swaps for only have liability coverage anyways...

Your using very bad examples, with the GSXR swaps the motors are almost identical and you cant tell the differnce just looking at them....The 600 and 750 GSXR motor are so close even I cant tell the difference when their both side by side without looking at the part number on the engine cases....750 has 30G at the end and 600 is 29G....

When I wrote off my 2001 R6 and claimed it through insurnace, the adjuster went to the shop I brought the bike to...Took one look at it and said "thats a write off" and left...Then the bike was picked up the next say by the bike salvage yard they use....Nothing was checked, they didnt tear down teh bike to CC it...The bike was pretty custom and I claimed over $5000 in aftermarket parts, still no questions asked and no check ups...

Bottom line you write off a 600 with a 750 motor in it and nobody is going to check anything....No if you through in a motor that barely fits the bike and is sticking out of the fairing with obvious mods to make it fit then you might have a problem....

And both people I did 750 swaps for only have liability coverage anyways...

there is one other way to tell, but you have take some parts of the bike to see it.

Who knows why Suzuki does that, Im trying to figure out if the 06/07 600 and 750 use the same engine mounting points right now for possible swaps. And its the same one of the last digits is differnt, so Im not certain if their the same or not untill I get to actually measure the 2....

Maybe they arent 100% the same(04/05) but everything bolted right up! And the wiring harness are the exact same....

Everything for the 04/05 750 has 30G at the end of the part number, and everything for the 600 is 29G...They both use the same wiring harnesses and they say 29G30 thou...so who knows maybe the frames are slighly differnt, or maybe they just make half marked 30G and half 29G...

I heard the frame and swingarm have some reinforcement ribs on the inside.

there is one other way to tell, but you have take some parts of the bike to see it.

Well I know of a few ways, most obvious being the RPM on the guage if they bothered to swap it for a 750 guage...Then theres the 30G vs 29G on the back top right hand side of the engine cases, bottom of the airbox, on the throttle boddies, and also on the ECU....

Just looking at the outside of the bike you cant tell thou, at least I cant tell..

Back
Top Bottom