How to winterize? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to winterize?

Re: What to do for keeping bike during winter?

why not just start it once a week and ride it in the drive way once snow and iced have been cleared.

I haven't winterized a bike in donkeys years, waste of time and money.

If you do however plan on doing a start up on a cold day in the winter at least make sure the bike reaches operating temperature, moisture is not good.

Thanx, that's a pretty good guide.

Can i just fill the gas tank with 94octane gas and stabilizer instead of Race gas?

That should be fine, as I will be doing the same thing. I don't really have access to race fuel.

After you start your engine and let the stable fuel circulate, start it up again without the spark plug(s) in. This will allow fuel to fill the entire system, as it will not detonate, thus keeping moisture from building up inside the system. This is what I was taught anyway from the course @ Conestoga College. That guy knows his S**T! He has quite the resume.

If I think of anything else or anybody has any other pointers, post up.

T

starting your bike without sparkplugs will be quite difficult

please define "filling the entire system" - how much more full can it possibly get then when the cards/injectors are full in the first place?

Either you misunderstood the fellow at the course, or he is leading you down the wrong path.

Attempting to start a bike without the sparkplugs grounded is a good way burn out a CDI

Donald

I found the hardest part was making space beside the TV in the living room.

Ian

i do mine in stages... just in case I may ride again. First the fluid changes, transmission oil and engine oil, then the stabilizer, sometimes I use up to 2 tanks with the stabilizer in,('cause of good weather that is unforseen) and have to add more. When I think it is time I then give it a good wash. When I am 100% sure I will not ride again I drain the carburater,then I fog the engine. When I am 110% sure I will not ride again, then I take the battery out and put it on a battery tender,usually this is after the first snowfall. Then I make sure the bike is CLEAN and DRY, and I may wd 40 the switches and maybe even the whole bike or I may just slowley take the bike apart to repair small things or install stupid things that I don't really need and end up taking them off next year. I document everything and write down exactly what tools I used so that I can do everything with a hand full of tools and that way I don't have to carry tools I don't need. I keep a list of tools needed for each job in the repair manual, I have a list for everything...ie engine oil change, transmission oil change, carb draining etc. Over the winter I try to change the brake fluid, I may Bleed them or just open the master cylinder and take some out and replace it with fresh stuff (using a dedicated turkey baster or a large syringe). When I make the tool list I include everything, for instance...when I drain the carb I need tools to remove the horn and I need rags to catch the minimal amount of gas left after I let the bike run dry with the fuel turned off, I also need an extending magnet to catch the drain screw when I unscrew it 'cause it will fall, I use the magnet to start the screw and a screwdriver to finish the job. Even unhooking the battery has a list of tools. Lists make these jobs go smoother year after year.(I've had this bike now for 12 years). My 2 cents. P.S. If I have and acid battery I will top it up with distilled water only, not that stuff that crappy tire sells for batteries,only distilled water, that other stuff is de-ionized water and I think it is not mineral free. Don't over-charge the battery like I used to, get a battery TENDER....well worth the money. Get some good tools for EVERY job, Mastercraft quality or better, don't go the jobmate route or you will be sorry.

Ooops.... I forgot to mention, once the engine is fogged real good, DON'T START IT 'TILL YOU ARE READY TO RIDE. I fog it then turn the engine over, (it won't start 'cause no gas), then fog it again, squirting oil in the cylinders is a pita it smokes like crazy when you fire it up in the spring, fogging gives you a nice clean start up in spring. Have a nice winter cleaning your bike.

or while the spark plugs are out put a table spoon of oil in each hole. turn engine over by rotating wheel?

That should be fine, as I will be doing the same thing. I don't really have access to race fuel.

After you start your engine and let the stable fuel circulate, start it up again without the spark plug(s) in. This will allow fuel to fill the entire system, as it will not detonate, thus keeping moisture from building up inside the system. This is what I was taught anyway from the course @ Conestoga College. That guy knows his S**T! He has quite the resume.

"After you start your engine and let the stable fuel circulate, start it up again without the spark plug(s) in. This will allow fuel to fill the entire system, as it will not detonate, thus keeping moisture from building up inside the system. This is what I was taught anyway from the course @ Conestoga College. That guy knows his S**T! He has quite the resume."

DO NOT DO THIS.

This would wash the oil off the cylinder walls. You are trying to put ON the cylinder walls.
I hope you mis-understood the guy with "quite the resume".

Just curious,
How important and what is the purpose of a motorcycle cover if i'm storing it INSIDE my garage. Besides the fact it would prevent dust and cosmetic issues, does it prevent moisture buildup or have any other feature? If so, which ones would you advise me buying?
Thanks in advance.

WCS just buy a cheap tarp if you're not going to be putting it on and taking it off all the time.

Few questions!

1. What is Fog the cylinders?
2. If I can't drain coolant should I leave rad cap off to leave room for expansion if it freezes but put material over it so nothing gets in
3. What if I am removing gas tank over witner to paint it. Do I still leave gas with stabilizer in carbs?

Thanks

fog = oil the cylinders

2. If I can't drain coolant should I leave rad cap off to leave room for expansion if it freezes but put material over it so nothing gets in

why drain the coolant?
if it was straight water I can see that - but that is for track bikes

3. What if I am removing gas tank over witner to paint it. Do I still leave gas with stabilizer in carbs?

Leave stabilized fuel in the carbs

Thanks toastman ;)

Last edited:
Few questions!

Thanks

I can't beleive you asked these things...:confused:

Change your fluid in case buddy that owned it before hand topped it up with water ;) Aside from that, they recomend you change the fluid once a year anyway since your antifreeze will corode your cooling track. Stabilzer is always a good idea although I have never used it, I simply top up the gas (help prevent moisture buildup with variations in temps)and take it easy the first ride out next season. Fogging the motor is a great idea although if not done right you can fowl the plugs, especially on a 2-stroke (it's smart to change them next season after initial startup anyway) FOGGING= spraying a oil type spray directly into your carbs/throttle bodies. You can spray it through the spark plug holes but I'd rather the intake ;) The benfits of fogging is to prevent rust buildup between rings and cylinder as well as rust buildup on walls... Sitting time and humidity levels will give various results with the rust I'd imagine. There you go..

Last edited:
I can't beleive you asked these things...:confused:

Well I shouldn't have asked #2 and #3 but wanted reassurance.
#1 I had no idea!

What's the difference between a dual core processor and a core 2 duo????????? huh:rolleyes:

Get the point bike man?

Well I shouldn't have asked #2 and #3 but wanted reassurance.
#1 I had no idea!

What's the difference between a dual core processor and a core 2 duo????????? huh:rolleyes:

Get the point bike man?

To sum it up to someone on such a low level of knowledge such as yourself I'll keep it simple ;)

The Core Duo is Intel's first generation dual core processor based upon the Pentium M (a Pentium III-4 hybrid) made mostly for laptops (though a few motherboard manufacturers have released desktop boards supporting the Core Duo CPU), and is much more efficiently than Pentium D.

The core 2 duo is Intel's second generation (hence, Core 2) processor made for desktops and laptops designed from the ground up to be fast while not consuming nearly as much power as previous CPUs.

Get the point nerd man??? if you look closely you'll catch the point ;)

Last edited:
To sum it up to someone on such a low level of knowledge such as yourself I'll keep it simple ;)

The Core Duo is Intel's first generation dual core processor based upon the Pentium M (a Pentium III-4 hybrid) made mostly for laptops (though a few motherboard manufacturers have released desktop boards supporting the Core Duo CPU), and is much more efficiently than Pentium D.

The core 2 duo is Intel's second generation (hence, Core 2) processor made for desktops and laptops designed from the ground up to be fast while not consuming nearly as much power as previous CPUs.

Get the point nerd man??? if you look closely you'll catch the point ;)

I asked "YOU" not "GOOGLE" what the difference was. How much time did you spend plagiarizing this snippet????

BTW I asked for the diff between "DUAL CORE" and "CORE DUO/2DUO".

Not 2 generations of the same chip!!!!

Better re-Google your educated plagiarism!!! mwwwaaahahahaha

Last edited:
I asked "YOU" not "GOOGLE" what the difference was. How much time did you spend plagiarizing this snippet????

BTW I asked for the diff between "DUAL CORE" and "CORE DUO/2DUO".

Not 2 generations of the same chip!!!!

Better re-Google your educated plagiarism!!! mwwwaaahahahaha

Meh, reading 2 minutes into it almost turned me into a nerd.... More than enough for me ;) All I need to know is that if I have a nerd related problem I can call you and if you have a bike related problem you can call me :D

Back
Top Bottom