How to winterize? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to winterize?

So I change the oil and filter, keep the bike parked over winter, in the spring I chuck all of it out and replace? I better pick up an el-cheapo Fram then lol.

if cold is a problem get a heated vest for only $110 Donald
Aha :) -5 and you will hear how your balls knoking gas tank ;)
I'm not talking about fingers, arms and legs. Full sleave heated jacket 180-250. Full cover will be more that $500.

So I change the oil and filter, keep the bike parked over winter, in the spring I chuck all of it out and replace? I better pick up an el-cheapo Fram then lol.
It's a personal preference. I'll change oil after few spring rides and filter is good for a 2 oil changes. You can leave existing oil and change it during winter :) Something telling me that you will not let your bike sit in the garage without turning it on for a few months :)

Noone mentioned it, but it is also a good idea to drain the carbs. May be a bit tricky as there's a bit of a reach to the drain screws on the 250 motor, but I think it's worth it as I never have any trouble with gummy carbs in the bikes I do this with.

Mine will need a good cleaning in the spring anyways lol

I dont have indoor storage available. I do however have covered parking and was thinking about just puting a cover over the bike itself. Is this sufficient or is it better to park the bike indoors? I dont really want to pay a storage fee...but i will if it makes a big difference.

Thanks for any input

T

*Go for a ride
*Fill up with gas put stabilizer in
*Go home
*Do oil and filter change
*Clean chain
*Do any other maintenance (rad fulid, brake fluid, brake pads, new air filter, valve check, new spark plugs, etc..)
*Fog the cylinder (if you want and are easy to get at)
*Clean all of the bike and wax it
*Stuff oily rags in the exhust pipe and air box to stop critters from making homes (mothballs in the air box also can work)
*Remove battery
*Remove paper work is you keep it in the bike
*Put bike up on stands
*Put sticky note over the ignition with EVERYTHING you have to do to the bike before you take it out in the spring (like removing the rags from the exhaust and air box, putting the battery back in, etc)
*Put a motorcycle cover over it, or sheets if you don't have one
*Turn off the light and go inside
*Pour yourself a stiff drink

ok some confusion here, some of you said do oil change n put fuel stabilizer and go for spin, but the guy from youtube video said don't crank your engine after oil change. Does it make a difference?? And how big a deal is if you don’t do oil change before you put her away (but had just few km before) and do oil change when take her out.

oil has a ton of combustion by-products in it that are acidic. the generally do bad things to the inside of the engine if you let them sit long enough. is a winter long enough? most like no, but its a cheap preventative thing anyway. the idea of stabalizer -> park -> oil change is you ahve the cleanest oil possible in your engine for storage, and also allows stabilized gas to work its way though the fuel system.

If your storing it on concrete get the tires up to prevent flat spots.

I put mine on the centrestand and put the front-tire on one of those foamy computer wrist rests.

I also put tar paper down under the bike to absorb the moisture from the concrete.

you do run your bike after an oil change or your oil pump will loose it's prime and your oil filter sits empty for the winter

I cannot think of a good reason to not start your bike after an oil change

Donald

I have never had to winterize, good ol' sunny carribbean, so forgive my ignorance with the following question:

If I started my bike atleast twice a week, and rode it around an indoor parking lot for 10-15 mins., would that not eliminate the need for winterizing? or am i missing something.

What to do for keeping bike during winter?

Hi everyone. I bought a 2001 ZZR250 this summer. During winter I will keep the bike in the garage. Do I need to do anything special before putting it to rest for winter. Do I need to empty tank and carburator? I dont mind starting the engine once in a while if that will save me from some serious mechanical work to keep the bike in good shape.

Re: What to do for keeping bike during winter?

Do you think you're the first person on this site to ever have a question about storing a bike for winter? Use the Fing search button, or better yet, google.

Re: What to do for keeping bike during winter?

I think the manual has a good write up on that. If u take the motorcyle course in Durham, they also taught that.

Back
Top Bottom