How to winterize? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How to winterize?

T

TootToot

My 250 Ninja is my first bike and I want to winterize properly. Am thinking of taking a course at Humber but in case I don't, just wanted to know what I should do to winterize my bike and when do you folks usually do it. I will be leaving it in my garage and no, I cannot bring it in. Any suggestions/help is appreciated.

Here is your cue to flame me because a thread like this already exists. If it does, could you just send me the link please?

Thanks,
T

Change your oil and filter.
Apply chain lube to the chain to prevent any rust if it wasn't done recently.
Fill up the tank and put in fuel stabilizer. Run the engine for a few minutes to get the stab. into the bike well.
Pull the battery and place it in a dark place.
Put a cover on it and forget about it until spring!

I would ride the bike for 5 mins - just letting it idle for 5 mins won't get the stabil in the carbs.
If you remove the fuel tank and let it idle it will run for a long time before it runs out of fuel.

Also make sure your tires all filled to max pressure.

Motorex makes a great product that keeps the mositure from corroding the bike over the winter, but all you really need is a dry place

Donald

Is it easy to winterize the bike yourself? From the bike manuals, it looks like there are more steps to be done.

Where can you buy those fuel stabilizer and lubes? From a bike shop?

Is it easy to winterize the bike yourself? From the bike manuals, it looks like there are more steps to be done.

Yes, it's simple, here's a video that goes way over the top for winterizing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G77BXjI5mcc

You can get the stabilizer at Canadian Tire, lube too maybe. Best bet is a bike shop for MC specific lube.

Fill up the tank and put in fuel stabilizer. Run the engine for a few minutes to get the stab. into the bike well.

Wash the bike and clean the chain in addition to what was mentioned.

My 250 Ninja is my first bike and I want to winterize properly. Am thinking of taking a course at Humber but in case I don't, just wanted to know what I should do to winterize my bike and when do you folks usually do it. I will be leaving it in my garage and no, I cannot bring it in. Any suggestions/help is appreciated.

Here is your cue to flame me because a thread like this already exists. If it does, could you just send me the link please?

Thanks,
T

Don't bother with the course. If you have the time then take the motorcycle mechanics course at Humber or Centennial. That will be more useful.

Winterizing is easy but still can be alot of work,

1)Take my bike for one last spin to get he oils heated up and chained heated up, then change your oil and filter!!!!

2) I start with a good wash to the bike, then wax it clean.

3) Then a carefully clean the chain with kerosene and then lube it wif my fav lube, maxima, or maximum cant remember.(so much for it being my fav) lol

4) fill tank with Gas and putt the correct amount of fuel stabilizer in the tank. its like 50ml for every litre but could be different for every bike. That you'll have too look up.

5) Check my tire pressure then raise em both off the ground with racks.

6) Check bike for any cracked or damaged cables and wires.

7) Remove battery from bike and charge with a battery tender.

Thats about it man, you can easily do everything your self.

Oh yea, and no need to take a course, this is easy work,

Last edited:
Also make sure your tires all filled to max pressure.
Donald

Ok, I have to ask .... why max pressure ? So you don't find them flat in the spring ?
I've always just put the bike on the stand to avoid flat spotting them, and left the stock pressure as it drops a few pounds anyway buy the time spring comes. Every instruction I've read about storing tires has said to drop the pressure. I've done this storing winter car tires (dropped to 20psi) and they didn't get any sidewall cracking until they were more than 5 yrs old ... and they lasted 6 or 7 seasons.

why change before and after? why not just after? what happens?

is cotton a good bike cover? something about being breathable?

Last edited:
so you guys are saying changing the oil and filter before storing, and right after storing when taking it out in spring?

what would happen if you just leave the old oil in and change it before you ride in spring?

The old oil may have broken down and become corrosive to aluminum. It may not harm your engine, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Hey don;t put your bike away to early. Those crisp cools days with the changing leaves are just around the corner. I rode up until they put salt down on the road (end of November I think).

Last edited:

+1000

This is what I do. You just want to make sure you get some fuel stabalizer so that it doesnt gum up your carbs (if you have a carb) so in the spring it will be ready to start first try :)

Take the battery inside I didnt do this last year on my CRF and now it doesnt hold a charge so I just kick it lmao.

Lube so the chain doesnt rust is pretty obvious. If you wanna get really fancy take the chain inside too ;)

Ok, I have to ask .... why max pressure ? So you don't find them flat in the spring ?
I've always just put the bike on the stand to avoid flat spotting them, and left the stock pressure as it drops a few pounds anyway buy the time spring comes. Every instruction I've read about storing tires has said to drop the pressure. I've done this storing winter car tires (dropped to 20psi) and they didn't get any sidewall cracking until they were more than 5 yrs old ... and they lasted 6 or 7 seasons.

Actually, when the air gets colder your tire pressure will drop. If you can, you should have your bike on a stand over the winter. This means no pressure on any of the fork seals and less weight on the tires since they will be sitting still for a while. Thats just what I suggest :)

Winterizing is over-rated. I just ride the damn thing. In the winter I do put stabil in the tank. Just incase it sits for a month or two.

aha... Last year I almost frost off my **** riding at -10 in January :)

Dont forget the cooling system, if you have a liquid cooled bike make sure the anti freeze is good to -35 (a 50-50 mix)

Back
Top Bottom