Sportbikes are Not beginner Bikes | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sportbikes are Not beginner Bikes

My first bike was the Yamaha YZF750.

I think it really depends on the maturity and confidence of the rider. If, after taking the course and test you don't feel confident then you should definitely start with a smaller bike.

However, I recommend buying the bike you want to get as long as you are mature...remember with great power comes great responsibility. As long as you take it easy a big bike is the same as a small one in my opinion -- difference is that you won't out grow a big one.

that's my two cents...

difference is that you won't out grow a big one.

that's my two cents...

lol yeah you could say the same thing about a coffen :happy3: you would have to be riding all your life to start out on a 750 or a 1000, i started out on a 100 and was riping it ever where when i moved up to a 250 then a 600 it was bad news the truth of the matter is if your sitting on power your going to use it, you can be mature on where to use it but the diff is no matter where you snap out 600cc of motor, its heat lol

i believe its in the rider, if you respect it you can start on a sports bike, i did it with zero experience on a 1999 r6, zero issues

Although I agree with most of the ideas in this thread, I also disagree slightly.... Before 1 month ago, I had never been on a motorcycle before.. Got my M1, took the course with hopes of getting a Ninja 500 at the MOST as a started bike... However after realizing that those 250 Viragos were extremely slugish, I went and got myself started on an 02 Katana 600.... Sure its not a super sports, but it is still a sports bike. Now I dont want to be cocky, but even though the bike feels very heavy I feel comfortable riding it, and have already done WOT accelerations in all of the first 3 gears without the bike feeling very heavy... So after all this, IMHO its not about what you get, but rather how careful and defensive of a rider you are... Although I love my Katana I can almost already feel the need for a little more speed :p, but thats in a couple of seasons :cool:

this is the song that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friends, some people started singin not knowin what it was and they'll continue singin forever just because this is the song that never ends.....and repeat

no opinion either way.... like others had said its the choice of the rider. but I think that in general it would be easier to learn on a smaller, lighter bike.

I started on an f4i, but I would probably choose a small bike in the beginning if I could go back, just so I could be more confident with it and have a steeper learning curve.

I currently a new rider, I have never touched a motorcycle before....so i got a 125R to learn and inmprove my skill....my next bike would be an R6

the Ninja250 is a sportbike that is well-suited for beginners so i respecfully disagree with the title of this thread.

Haha, i just found this thread.

SBL, I'm still a "newish" rider, although I'm 24, so some stupidity is still within me. :)

Besides, the 507 isn't really a good road for testing the 250's sweet spot. The road scares even me with a full lean, with those bumps and road snakes...

I think it really depends on the maturity and confidence of the rider. If, after taking the course and test you don't feel confident then you should definitely start with a smaller bike.

However, I recommend buying the bike you want to get as long as you are mature...remember with great power comes great responsibility. As long as you take it easy a big bike is the same as a small one in my opinion -- difference is that you won't out grow a big one.

that's my two cents...
i agree if u think ur reasonably mechanically inclined and understand the physics of motorcycling theres no reason a 600 is dangerous....there really not that bad, the only time most people get into trouble is when they wind it up, sportbikes are alil intimidating the first ride but like anything just put the time into riding it and ull pick it up fast,,,on the other hand if u are easily encouraged remember these bikes can be like the devil on ur shoulder wanting u to twist it more and more,,as long as u are mature and not an idiot 600s are actually good learning bikes, ive been riding dirtbikes since i was 12, my first road bike? r6 and have 9000kms in the first 12 weeks of riding, remember be smart

Would an SV650S be considered too much for a beginner? They seem to be very well liked, they're relatively easy to find for sale, and the newer models are fuel injected. The performance figures seem somewhat daunting though, standing 1/4 mile in under 12 seconds seems rather quick, as it's pretty much on par with the upper echelon of modern supercars. Not that I'm afraid of speed, or think that I'll be stupid with it, but I'm just wondering. Should people really be learning to ride on something that will dust a Ferrari F430?

Just don't twist the throttle to the max and you'll be fine:D
Would an SV650S be considered too much for a beginner? They seem to be very well liked, they're relatively easy to find for sale, and the newer models are fuel injected. The performance figures seem somewhat daunting though, standing 1/4 mile in under 12 seconds seems rather quick, as it's pretty much on par with the upper echelon of modern supercars. Not that I'm afraid of speed, or think that I'll be stupid with it, but I'm just wondering. Should people really be learning to ride on something that will dust a Ferrari F430?

they should make you read this before u get your M1....My 1st bike was a 1978 XL 75...ugly old bike:):happy3:

first bike was an 83 500 virago then went to an fz600
awesome bike to learn on i would suggest a smaller cc for a year then you will feel much more comfortable on a supersport

first bike....08 yami r6, keep it under 8 grand and my grandma could ride it...

This is my first season of riding and i started on a kawi zx7. Took me a 10mins to get comfortable.....although i still take it easy on turns. IMO, if i started on a 500 i wouldve probably grown 2 extra set of nuts and pushed it :rolleyes:. The fact i started on a 750 made me respect the bike and know where to draw the line :wink:

This is my first season of riding and i started on a kawi zx7. Took me a 10mins to get comfortable.....although i still take it easy on turns. IMO, if i started on a 500 i wouldve probably grown 2 extra set of nuts and pushed it :rolleyes:. The fact i started on a 750 made me respect the bike and know where to draw the line :wink:

Er, yea. I'm sure everyone believes you. :rolleyes:

I'm wondering the same thing myself, as I'm in the market for a new bike and I'm torn between getting an SV650, a GS500, and a Vulcan 800...

Back
Top Bottom