Sportbikes are Not beginner Bikes | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sportbikes are Not beginner Bikes

Just want to say to all those people who feel the need to start on 600 or bigger, i would have too, if i didn't have cousins with bikes in europe and asia, every summer when i used to visit them, i would beg them for a ride, but they would never let me touch the bikes,especially the ss600's and busa, untill i turned 12, when one of my cousins scared me by showing how violently a bike can launch and flip over if i accidently released the clutch in 1st really fast, so i never talked about riding again, until i turned 17, i went back and got over my fear, i started with 50cc quads, then 70cc standard asian motorcycles and rode it till i could rip it on all 3 gears, then moved on to a 120cc, and let me tell you, the 120cc was fast as hell, and these are standard motorcycles you see in places like Taiwan and the sort, the pull on the bike was so hard i had to grip really hard or i would have flown off.

Anyways after i masterd that bike i went on to 250,500,600 and then 1000 for the last few years. But im going back to 600, i like the weight of 600s and their agility, plus if modded right 600's can be fast as hell.

what im trying to say is any new rider that says 250's are slow, are really noobs because they have no idea what they are talking about.

lets say i can't afford to insure a 600 this summer i might go even lower, because i'd rather ride than not, and i know even if you ride an old ninja people still do look, so the vanity is no excuse for a big new bike, nice post, read about this topic in magazines too, its the most pawned topic ever.

Last edited:
I agree with his article to a certain degree...I do believe there should be a cc restriction based on the AGE and DRIVING EXPERIENCE of the new rider.

Having said that, I started on a Ninja 500 as my first bike when I was 22 and loved it. I'm 5'11" at 180lbs and I've pretty much stayed at that weight until now (I'll be 28 in Feb). I drove for 4 years before that...and drove standard which I think is VERY IMPORTANT! I quickly moved to a gixxer600 the second season, but I will honestly tell you that I got bored of the Ninja after a month and tried out my friends' R6, gixxer750 and even Ducati749 that same starting season and had no problem with them whatsoever. I have however stayed at the 600cc supersport level ever since simply b/c I don't see the need for anything bigger (esp. with the new insurance rates).

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that given enough regular driving experience, a certain level of maturity and mechanical inclination, I wouldn't put it past someone to start off on a USED 600cc sport bike (I say used b/c even if you don't drop it while riding, you WILL drop it at a gas station etc...and you'll feel like poo dropping a brand new bike).

My $0.02,

~Paul.

Last edited:
That article mentioned a good point, The Hayden bro's were riding off road bikes first. No better place than an old gravel pit, field etc to learn basics of shifting, clutching, braking, throttle etc. I sometimes believe first time riders are overwhelmed, sometimes actions such as smooth clutch engagement can take longer for an inexperienced rider, thus causing traffic conditions to change around them. Being focused on one aspect takes away from other aspects around you. I don't always believe its the cc's that are the problem, but the the multitude of functions that surround the operation of a motorcycle. I only say this, as i and a few friends had dirt bikes and then moved into street bikes, years ago. I believe this made the transition to street riding alot easier. Again, just an observation from rider who started off on an 1983 gpz 1100. But like someone stated in an earlier thread, some of us older riders are going back to smaller bikes, which i have, I ride a 1998 zx9 ninja now lol just my .02

My first and only bike is a FZR600, 1993, I would say thats a beginner bike. But a 2007 R6 is NOT a beginner bike.

That's all I gotta say

For those of you who doubt the speed and handleing of a 250, I'd put doodz on his 250 VTR up against just about ANY bike through the 507, and he'd beat most riders. ('Infernobuster' need not apply.) It's how you handle, and know your bike, not just the size. Some of you have seen him ride and know what I mean.

BTW. Rob, I hope your up for this!!!

first bike was R6. have been riding for 4 years, never dropped it, never got speeding ticket, never even had a conversation to a pig while on bike, never any issues.

At first i was slow and carefull, now i'm fast and more carefull, i found that its not the bike, its how you respond to stupid cagers' mistakes while you are on the bike. And if you can manouver on a 1L super sport quickly, then it can be your first bike.

I learned to ride on a R6, and i wouldn't tell anyone to start on a 250cc piece of **** girls bike. you're gonna get UNmotivated after a month of riding that crap. and then no one will buy it from you when u try to get rid of it - cause someone who is buying a piece of **** like that will buy it brand new to be " extra carefull about beginning their motorcycle riding era " and will make sure the bike is perfect... LMAO
If you absolutely must buy a girls bike as a first bike, get a used one, so that you dont feel totally bad as u wasted 8 grand, but "only" 3grand, after a few months.

ride your supersport in a parking lot for a hour and get used to going slow in circles and get a acceleration and braking feel, and where all the controls are.
and then go out on the road, and watch out for the retard cagers

My first bike was 1980 XR100 (Dirt only) but where i used to live this was an excellent commuter, especially when your 14-16 years old. Top speed: 85kph! Dropped that thing lots of times, flew off it too!

Then when i turned 26 and had an income, i bought a brand new 05 Gsxr 600, haven't even scratched it (yet). Pretty tame period of my life that must be why the insurance is soo cheap! Now that i have a wife and a 2 yr old girl (and another on the way) I'm even more cautious.

I dont ever intend on selling the bike because a) i love it and b) i dont think i could (would) take it past its limits, the 600's these days are faster and more agile then ever before, i'm not a racer, although i would like to take the fast course if i could only gurantee no broken bones!

IMO;

attitude and ignorance is what will get you killed out there, there should be a great respect for any motorcycle no matter what size of motor it has, keep your head up, and watch out for minivans! :happy3:

Half of this forum is dedicated to telling people to wuss out. What's up with that? Sorry, but I won't stand for it! I thought motorcycling was for people with guts. I'd rather go golfing than ride a 250 Ninja thanks. This sport is dangerous, period! You're gonna have dumb people crashing on all kinds of bikes. Why might you ask?? Because some people don't respect what they're doing!!!

Accidents are usually the cause of carelessness or just being unprepared. I took a rider safety course, and promptly went out and bought the bike I lusted after. It's a race replica and it's a fine bike to learn on if you ask me. I find it much more stable and confidence inspiring that the 150cc Honda Titan or whatever it was they had at the safety course.

My dad's first bike was a Kawasaki Z1 (seriously fast for back then). Back when he got tested for his licence, he had the biggest bike there and was one of the few people who passed! The only time he ever dropped it in his whole life was once on a crummy surface at slow speeds, where engine size woulda made NO difference.

Don't get me wrong, I don't support recklessness AT ALL. But why can't responsible noobies have nice bikes? IF you have the confidence and maturity, at ANY age..I say get the bike you want! If you drop it who cares, battle scars are cool anyways!

*Prepares to get flamed by the fearmonger's* lol :rolleyes:

I think that you should buy whatever bike you want but I have been told time and time again that the biggest thing with bigger engine bikes is that they can bite you much quicker. I have a good friend who rides both on the street and races (at a pro level) he destroyed (cut off by a car) his 600RR and then went out and purchased a new 1000RR. He has said that he enjoyed riding the 600 more because it was easier to corner and much more fun. He loves his 1000 but with his experience and enjoying the 600 says volumes to me. On that note I think that each person should buy what you want but know what you are getting into and buy something that you can enjoy and learn on.

Comfortable with a 250. You can redline it to get the power. Not sure why I would want more power on the streets.

lol i started reading it but seen how long it was so i stoped. i got a sv 650, it is my first bike n im glad i got it... it might not have been the smartest thing ive done caus i got it impounded 4 racing but yah awesome startin bike

my first bike was yzf600rg.
I did drop it a couple times while i was trying to back up and not paying attention.

no accidents for the first 3 years but then low sided on a gravelly corner, not hurt cause i had my leathers on.

i used to ride my bicycle in the city alot and had a few accidents.
also mountain biked competitively, and I believe this really helped me out with instincts and balance.

It really depends on the person but I know many that started on 600's.

Back
Top Bottom