Advice for first 2up Ride... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advice for first 2up Ride...

I can't thank everyone enough for all the advice! I definitely never thought I would get such an overwhelming response!

I would definitely vote this a sticky!

Thanks again, and I'll absolutely be sure to post how it goes!

Tom

Some very sound advice in those responses, Tom. Hope all works out for you and your visitor.

Thread has been stickied for others searching similar information.

Ok, hello again all! So I've got what might seem to be a stupid question, but I just can't figure out what I should be doing...

When getting your pilon to mount up on the back of the bike... When should they do that? Should I be on the bike first? Should the center stand be down? Side stand?

I really do feel like an idiot, but I just thought about this, and my passenger is getting here next week and I don't know when I should be getting her on the bike..

Thanks in advance!
Tom

Ok, hello again all! So I've got what might seem to be a stupid question, but I just can't figure out what I should be doing...

When getting your pilon to mount up on the back of the bike... When should they do that? Should I be on the bike first? Should the center stand be down? Side stand?

I really do feel like an idiot, but I just thought about this, and my passenger is getting here next week and I don't know when I should be getting her on the bike..

Thanks in advance!
Tom

Get on your bike, lift up the kickstand. Get comfortable and steady on the bike. Brace yourself and the bike and then signal to your passenger to get on. Best is one foot on a peg, hold your shoulders for support and then swing the other leg over the bike and then sit on the seat. You have to hold the bike really firmly at this point, because it will rock side to side as the passenger gets on, even if they try to be smooth. This is why you have to emphasize to your passenger that they ONLY get on or off the bike on your say-so. If not, you could drop the bike.
The dismount is essentially the same in reverse.

Get on your bike, lift up the kickstand. Get comfortable and steady on the bike. Brace yourself and the bike and then signal to your passenger to get on. Best is one foot on a peg, hold your shoulders for support and then swing the other leg over the bike and then sit on the seat. You have to hold the bike really firmly at this point, because it will rock side to side as the passenger gets on, even if they try to be smooth. This is why you have to emphasize to your passenger that they ONLY get on or off the bike on your say-so. If not, you could drop the bike.
The dismount is essentially the same in reverse.

Like getting on a horse... if you know what I mean.

any advice for carrying a passenger that's about 50lbs heavier than you?

i'm a girl, and a lot of my guy friends (6ft plus)want to ride with me, and i don't because i don't know if i can handle the weight.

i'm a girl, and a lot of my guy friends (6ft plus)want to ride with me, and i don't because i don't know if i can handle the weight.

I personally find, the taller the passenger the more uncomfortable it is in terms of handling. Same goes for weight but more so height since it offsets my balance.

I'd say don't do it if you're not comfortable with it...but if you're going to try, I'd say take it in small steps first...work on smaller people and then slightly larger and larger! :)

Thanks for the advice! Guess sorry to the fella's then ;)

The big fellas shouldnt be riding behind a smaller girl to begin with; it just looks really bad on them. Most likely their intention is just to grab and grind the rider. The big fellas should get their own license. :cool:

Back to the topic, I set a few simple rules for my passenger:

1) Feet never leave the pegs unless told otherwise.
2) Lean with the rider and never EVER lean the opposite direction
3) Make a set of body movments for communications (eg. when rider taps on passenger's left knee means extra caution and when passenger taps rider's shoulder means park aside ASAP)

Oh and always make your passengers wear FULL GEAR. The last thing you want is to feel guilty for the rest of your life knowing your buddy or your better half suffers a 2nd or 3rd degree burn for their rest of their life from riding behind you.

tell "said male" to buy his own bike. lol

and take you for a boot. :D

Don't forget the hot muffler under your legs.
Ladies with high heels, don't burn your heels on the muffler.
We are not concerned about you heels :D, just the muffler:).

As an experienced passenger on my bike, I've found that "freezing" before and during a corner, it acts as though theres no extra forces while turning. My dad made it clear to me that moving at all in the turns caused lots of problems, so he suggested that I just stay straight and still through the turns. I was lucky to have a backrest to lean back against. I didn't lean my head in any direction. I just acted as an attachment of the bike.

I always made sure I was "adjusted" before we started moving. That means getting the little guys in a comfotable spot lol. Also, taps and communication were very important.

Any type of handle at your sides really makes the ride much better. Because when turning, the extra weight thrown on your body from someone having the arms around your waist kinda screws you up. Plus, you dont have that hot sticky back problem.

I have yet to have a passenger, but I've already devised some strict rules for passengers. This thread really helps though, because I had some questions about it.

Anyway, safe riding everyone!

So everyone... My girlfriend came to visit me, and I finally got to put everyone's great advice into practice. Our riding went really, really well and we even tackled Australia's Great Ocean Road, which is an absolute must if any rider ever visits the South of Australia... I was really surprised how natural it felt having another person on the back of the bike, but I can imagine that a "bad" passenger could make for an awful ride. I could feel it when she wasn't paying full attention and was watching something instead of leaning with me... As soon as her head moved, I could feel the bike respond...

As for braking, I definitely found that with a passenger braking distance was greatly increased, but that's pretty much to be expected. And as suggested to me, use lots of back brake, it's much more effective with a passenger. I also found that the worst part of braking was any time I had to brake going down hill... Put extra pressure on my wrists and made for some sore arms by then end...

All in all, I found that riding with a passenger wasn't as hard as I originally expected, but I would definitely recommend to anyone taking a passenger for the first time, to do a short ride on some back roads, and get the feel of the bike with the extra weight. Oh, and I was really surprised at how stable I felt at any stop, I thought any movement was going to make the bike rock like crazy, but the bike was actually pretty stable at the lights.

Thanks again everyone for all your suggestions, and comments, me and my girlfriend thank you all!

Cheers,
Tom

Thanks to all the info guys. Yesterday, I just sent the link to this forum to the friend who wanted to ride on my bike. A lot of great information and helpful hints here... :)

And then later at night, we both went out on the bike and had a fun time riding around town.

I ask my passengers to do the following...

First, unless we are at a temporary standstill, please keep your feet on the pegs AT ALL TIMES, with your legs kept fairly snug to the bike. Don't swing your legs. It only serves to destabilize the bike, and scuffs up my exhaust in the process. Whatever grip you chose, please be sure it doesn't result in leaning on me. If I lean left or right for whatever reason, please do the same. Pay attention at stoplights and stop signs. When the light changes, I first look left and right. That's your cue we're taking off.

I also employ a simple code, of physical "tapping". Two taps means, "Please slow the bike down". Three taps means, "I need you to pull the bike over RIGHT NOW, for ____ reason.".

And for obvious reasons, wear appropriate riding gear.

First time I took a chick on my bike, I was ready. I just had my friends volunteer to ride on the back! Kinda looked gay im sure but hey.. the practise was worth it! here are some tips

Make sure she doesnt wear high heels.

Jacket, Pants, boots, gloves recommended (if your in Canada)

Make sure she leans into the turns with you instead of trying to keep her own balance..

Have confidence and fun!

It's easy, just hang on! Actually, you don't even need to hang on...see last pic. Move with your rider...that's what I did. I would love it if there was such a thing as passenger racing, my man and I would be up for it for sure :D This is at Cayuga this past weekend:

2UP5-1.jpg

2UP11.jpg

2UP7.jpg

2UP4.jpg

2UP15.jpg

oh man this is just a little story about the first time I ever been on a bike.

I got off the wrong side of the bike, and it burnt a big 2nd degree burn on my calf i still have a scar till this date.

I was 8 then, im 16 now and i still have the scar.

Yea it was also scary cause I didnt have a helmet.

It was in china, some remote city i dont remember.

And all i was wearing was t-shirt and shorts.

Bare skin to hot exaust in hot temp = ow.

Back
Top Bottom