Advice for first 2up Ride... | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advice for first 2up Ride...

I'm a girl too! I ride a Suzuki GS550L... it's a smaller "naked bike" so not huge and not heavy.

That said, I recently took a friend for a ride.

I'm 5'2" and weigh around 130. The friend is 6" and (I found out later) weighs about 280 (!).

The biggest thing I noticed was that at the stops, I needed both feet on the ground, rather than one.

Yep, the tip over point is a lot easier to reach with extra dead weight on the back. I can just imagine you going into a lean in the corner and having the 280lb pillion shift as they got scared mid corner.

I always back it off by 30% when I ride with a passenger. Even a smaller passenger can unsettle a bike with ease if you commit to too much lean and corner speed. Hold something back until they're used to riding and enjoy the rush.

Rule #1 if you have a girl on the back. Make sure she is VERY good looking!
+1 And then God said: "Though shall only ride my beasts with hot womanz beside"

Last edited:
Dumb and Dumber reviving the year old thread with nothing to add but noise.

One thing to take into account when riding with a passenger on pretty much any bike but a chopper is unintentional wheelies. Moved center of gravity and upset chassis balance combined with a desire to impress can and do often spell disaster. The beautiful chick ain't so beautiful after an asphalt kiss...

Last edited:
Dumb and Dumber reviving the year old thread with nothing to add but noise.

One thing to take into account when riding with a passenger on pretty much any bike but a chopper is unintentional wheelies. Moved center of gravity and upset chassis balance combined with a desire to impress can and do often spell disaster. The beautiful chick ain't so beautiful after an asphalt kiss...
Didn't like my joke? That's too bad. Maybe someone else on the forum did, and smiled for a bit. No need for calling anyone dumb. Good advice btw

Sent from my calculator, using skills.

Didn't like my joke? That's too bad. Maybe someone else on the forum did, and smiled for a bit. No need for calling anyone dumb.

I overreacted. I apologize for the name calling, it was uncalled for.

Good advice btw

Sent from my calculator, using skills.

Now that made me smile :).

Sent from my iCrap using Crap-a-Crack.

Did my first 2up today...
Went from Brampton to Wasaga Beach. And back later in the day. Boy did that feel different, and pretty much what everyone in this thread has already said^
Great advice.

All in all, it was a great experience and we both came out alive. And to top it all off, he said he feels safe on it! I don't even feel safe on it, riding solo! (mind you: my bike is not the best, and is somewhat falling apart slightly.) Although that could just be because it was me riding it and he trusts me...the fool!

future note: cars are much easier to transport people around on. buy a car.

Last edited:
i did my "test" 2up the other day. One feedback from the passenger was it was hard to hold on to me. Or the passenger's hands would get sore from holding together. Any advice about this?

My bike doesn't have any grab rails.

Reading this for my 2up ride question, some people mentioned for passengers to lean with you during turns and some comments state for them to stay upright ?

Both are correct to a point, the problem is telling a passenger to lean usually means that they lean way too far.
I have found that if my passenger keeps their shoulders in line with mine and puts their head to the inside of the turn
we are both happier for the experience.

Reading this for my 2up ride question, some people mentioned for passengers to lean with you during turns and some comments state for them to stay upright ?
Just tell them to place their head near your inside shoulder.

stay "upright" relative to the vertical axis of the bike.
if you don't tell them to lean with you in a corner, you run the risk that they may get nervous and lean the wrong way and disrupt the line you intended to take through the corner.

Finally did my first 2up ride. Wasnt as bad as I thought it would be at all. Issue, helmet taps are annoying. How to avoid ?
Bike burned a lot of fuel, I didnt think it would be that bad and I could barely feel my friend holding on to me. I had to ask her to hold on twice lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom