Buying in the States | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying in the States

BB722

Has anyone here ever bought a bike from the states and brought it over?
I'm seeing some really good deals, even factoring in the weak Canadian dollar difference it's still quite a large savings.

I've imported a few vehicles over the years. The process is quite straightforward so long as you not only have all your ducks in a row, and know the process to do it properly. Both go hand in hand. If you mess up on any of it it can turn into a real quagmire in a big hurry.

There are costs associated with the whole inspection and RIV process however, as well as everything else like the exchange of course, taxes at the border, and your time. Exactly how much are you thinking you'll save when it's all said and done?

I've imported a few vehicles over the years. The process is quite straightforward so long as you not only have all your ducks in a row, and know the process to do it properly. Both go hand in hand. If you mess up on any of it it can turn into a real quagmire in a big hurry.

There are costs associated with the whole inspection and RIV process however, as well as everything else like the exchange of course, taxes at the border, and your time. Exactly how much are you thinking you'll save when it's all said and done?

It appears to be around a 20% savings, but it differs from bike to bike

At only 20%, unless we are talking a $20,000+ show bike or something, I wouldn't waste my time.

Assuming you’re talking a typical $4000-$10,000 bike, at only 20% difference it may very well end up costing you *more* money overall in the end by the time you’re all done.

What about the warranty? I was considering the same thing until I was told there is no coverage.

What about the speedometer, or are you going to register it in the states before import?

What about the warranty? I was considering the same thing until I was told there is no coverage.

Really depends, OP didn't clarify if he was looking at a new bike or a used one. I presumed used, but who knows.

What about the speedometer, or are you going to register it in the states before import?

Most modern bikes have electronic odometers now that are easily switched to comply with metric, but even if it doesn't, all it technically needs is a sticker. A metric speedometer IS required, but again, most modern bikes have both MPH and KPH shown now which fits the requirements.

For anyone interested in reading, here's the RIV website that details all the requirements.

https://www.riv.ca/ModificationAndInspectionRequirements.aspx

It was my experience that the Recall Clearance Letter can be the biggest hurdle, especially for a motorcycle..and yeah, the exhaust must be stock. And you will have to modify the electrical system to comply with lighting requirements here, etc. All are certainly surmountable things, but you do need to know what you're getting into - for example, if you're paying someone to modify the electrical system for you for the lighting changes that could easily be $100-$200 in labour - if you're savvy and can do it yourself, $25 for a relay kit and an hour in your driveway.

In short, everything can add up fast in time and money invested. IMHO unless I'm saving at least 30% after it was all said and done, I wouldn't bother myself.

PP - do you know if the speedo needs to be changed to show km/h ?

and yeah, the article in the Star story I linked, that was the issue
2 outstanding recall letters, and parts were back-ordered

PP - do you know if the speedo needs to be changed to show km/h ?

I don't think it had to in the past (which is why you'll often see alot of imported HD's with MPH only speedos as HD used to not include dual display speedo's...but only ones specific to the country they were sold in), but you do now.

That said, if you follow the link I posted above, you'll eventually come to this bit specific to speedos that details it. I believe you are still able to basically add stickers to the existing speedo that shows the KPH equivalents overlaid..and it fits the technical requirements. IE, you don't need to actually change the whole speedo.

There's lots of universal conversion kits on eBay as a good example - basically, you just stick it on the face and the needle points to the new KPH figures instead of the old MPH figures underneath.

I've done it (a long time ago).

Make sure that you are clear of the two show-stoppers first. The rest of it is easy stuff.

Potential show-stopper #1: RIV's list of vehicles eligible for import. If it's not on that list you CAN NOT import it and register it for road use.
Potential show-stopper #2: Obtaining the recall clearance letter. This is a document, on the letterhead of the vehicle's US distributor, which states that the particular vehicle in question (identified by VIN) does not have any outstanding recalls. The show-stopper is if you can't get that letter. Some manufacturers will routinely issue them, others will absolutely not do it (because they don't want people circumventing their respective local distribution networks), others you have to know who to talk to and that's not necessarily easy to find out. (In my case the race program of the chap that I was buying the bike from was sponsored by his local dealer, and he talked with them and they figured it out and got it done in advance)

The vehicle in question is supposed to be completely stock with respect to all emission control and safety related equipment. Stock exhaust system, in particular. Having said that ... you're going to be taken it to (I believe) Canadian Tire for the RIV inspection, and there is a fair chance that whoever is inspecting it will write down some information from the VIN label on the vehicle (which had better be present), maaaaaybe check that the speedometer has metric markings on it, and maaaaaybe check that the daytime running lights work, and fill out a form and send you on your way. All US-market motorcycles from the last 15 (actually 48 ) years have daytime running lights as original equipment, so this should not be a problem.

You have a time limit in which to complete the inspection. In my case the bike was an operational race bike when I bought it, with all the street stuff in a box, so I had to put it together and get all the street stuff working.

Some good info in the replies.
Indeed it doesn't make that much sense unless the bike is higher in cost so the savings are more.
However there is a greater availability of bikes compared to the Canadian market by a large amount, so that's still a good reason to check it out

Back
Top Bottom