Beta RRS Motorcycles Street Legal? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Beta RRS Motorcycles Street Legal?

Think Lang's could blue plate a TE250 (the new fuel injected two stroke version)?
Does it meet or exceed the current emissions standards for road use in any developed country? I think no.

Rob is not a Husky dealer.

Just a thought....perhaps conjecture about whether a registered dealer will plate grey-market bikes will not be good for his business in the long run.

Maybe it's just me.

Does it meet or exceed the current emissions standards for road use in any developed country? I think no.
That makes no difference to what is being dicussed in this thread none of the bikes do and it doesn't stop people from plating them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That makes no difference to what is being dicussed in this thread none of the bikes do and it doesn't stop people from plating them.
If we were talking about old bikes pre pollution control then I would agree with you, but new bikes have to be imported unless you buy domestic or build it yourself and I'm pretty sure there are laws against importing road vehicles that do not comply with any emission standards and require documentation detailing compliance of the imported goods, typically in Canada authorities go the cheap route and adopt the current California standards :| unless something has changed in the last decade or two. So ya it really does relate to what motorcycle models are potentially street legal and what machines outright conflict with the rules. Two strokes inherently burn oil regardless of how clean the fuel can be made to burn. I know many people don't care to believe that EPA rules and carbon taxes exist here, I try to at least comply.

When I bought my last Montesa the importer was particularly insistent that I did not intend to register my motorcycle for street use as it would put him in trouble with the terms of import, there has to be something to that.

Part of the emission standards for motorcycles over I think 250cc is that it has to have a useful life of 30,000km without a rebuild. By that none of the high performance singles should be emission compliant, a KTM EXC would be on it's 2nd or 3rd piston at that point.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.transportpolicy.net/standard/us-motorcycles-emissions/

Edit. It's 280cc or greater not 250CC
[/FONT]

Last edited:
... 30,000km without a rebuild.
Maybe it's just me but that "Useful Life/Warranty*" years and km is a pretty silly way to rate something that should be rated in hours of operation.

add: also curious how the distance is expressed in km considering USA EPA publications would normally state miles.

... this one is also interesting:
https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100OA0I.pdf
apparently they know how many hours of operation an ATV or snowmobile should be but off-highway motorcycles draws a blank :|

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me but that "Useful Life/Warranty*" years and km is a pretty silly way to rate something that should be rated in hours of operation.

add: also curious how the distance is expressed in km considering USA EPA publications would normally state miles.

... this one is also interesting:
https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P100OA0I.pdf
apparently they know how many hours of operation an ATV or snowmobile should be but off-highway motorcycles draws a blank :|

Yeah, I maintained my previous KTM EXC based on hours and never mileage so I agree with that. No idea why they use KM instead of miles at that point but here is another link directly from the EPA which is again in KM [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2004-01-15/pdf/04-6.pdf [/FONT]

I imagine this is also why the new Honda CRF450L doesn't call for a rebuild in the maintenance schedule until 30,000km.

The following Beta motorcycle models appear on the Beta USA web site under the heading "Street Legal Off Road"
350 RR-S, 390RR-S, 430RR-S and 500RR-S ( -S is the 'street legal' designation) all are based on the same 4-stroke engine btw,
so unless your Beta -S was imported into Canada as an off-road vehicle only, then it should be pretty easy to bring that model bike into line with Canadian DOT requirements for a blue plate vehicle.
This would not be a case of a dealer turning a blind eye to the rules so no, it should not reflect badly on the dealer if they are selling blue plated Beta -S bikes, anything else would be very "grey market".

... I suspect the specs are being expressed in metric because they intend to conform to Euro standards which are currently more stringent then N.A.

My Montesa trials bike is street legal in Europe where they actually understand what a trials tire is :| hopefully DOT USA and Canada will also comply with that ruling some day and remove the "off road use only in USA and Canada" tire branding on 1 and 2 ply knobby tires.

Last edited:
Yeah, that was what I was thinking.

The following Beta motorcycle models appear on the Beta USA web site under the heading "Street Legal Off Road"
350 RR-S, 390RR-S, 430RR-S and 500RR-S ( -S is the 'street legal' designation) all are based on the same 4-stroke engine btw,
so unless your Beta -S was imported into Canada as an off-road vehicle only, then it should be pretty easy to bring that model bike into line with Canadian DOT requirements for a blue plate vehicle.
This would not be a case of a dealer turning a blind eye to the rules so no, it should not reflect badly on the dealer if they are selling blue plated Beta -S bikes, anything else would be very "grey market".

... I suspect the specs are being expressed in metric because they intend to conform to Euro standards which are currently more stringent then N.A.

My Montesa trials bike is street legal in Europe where they actually understand what a trials tire is :| hopefully DOT USA and Canada will also comply with that ruling some day and remove the "off road use only in USA and Canada" tire branding on 1 and 2 ply knobby tires.

I just bought a 2018 Beta RR-RE and blue plated it. So the answer to the OP is yes. What you need is a dealer that is willing to help and using a MTO that is more relaxed.

I just bought a new KTM 250 xcw tpi from a bigger dealer. I just asked for them not to register the bike and to give me the nvis form and I would do it myself. I registered the bike to be BLUE plated in a major city right next to Toronto at an MTO office, no issues.

They are legally set-up with MTO as Blue Plate, but insurance database still has them classified as off-road vehicles.... So, you can register them with blue plate at the MTO/DMV no problem, but some insurance conpanies will have them listed as a dirt bike only (the agent will get allmconfused and look in the wrong class, unless you tell them to look in dirt bikes)... Because of this, you get the bike covered for less than $150 per year, but cannot get 'comprehensive' coverage (no fore/theft, colision only)... I don't really leave the little bike un attended much anyway while riding (not like the commuter my commuter wheels) so this is not an issuebfor me.

For what it's worth, I'm loving my '17 RR-S and think it is/was the best value for the money (both aquisition and on-going). Plus the 1yr warranty on a dirt bike is a serious plus. I had to use it (perhaps on faukts that were, err, likely of my own creation) and BETA was first class about covering the issues...

A538B851-F13E-48A8-8B58-912BEBC7823E.jpg

In order to be registered for on-road use it must have the Transport Canada round 'Maple Leaf' sticker and the VIN must be on the approved list.
People may be getting around this, but technically is illegal and I don't know how they do it. Maybe as an import ?

In order to be registered for on-road use it must have the Transport Canada round 'Maple Leaf' sticker and the VIN must be on the approved list.
People may be getting around this, but technically is illegal and I don't know how they do it. Maybe as an import ?
They are all imports! there are practically no motorcycles manufactured in Canada for domestic use :| we're an underdeveloped country.

2019-KTM-250-XC-W-TPI-First-Look-dirt-motorcycle-1.jpg

No signals, no reflectors, does it even have a horn? If you can blue plate that ride you can blue plate anything.

Back
Top Bottom