Beta RRS Motorcycles Street Legal? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Beta RRS Motorcycles Street Legal?

marlws

Anyone know if the RRS models are street legal yet in Ontario? Or does anyone own a blue plated one.
cheers

I have three friends in the Barrie area with blue plated Betas. Two four strokes and a two stroke.
Of the 7 betas currently for sale on kijiji, 5 are blue plated, one is a trials bike and the other is a new 125.
So, I'd say yes they can be blue plated.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I have three friends in the Barrie area with blue plated Betas. Two four strokes and a two stroke.
Of the 7 betas currently for sale on kijiji, 5 are blue plated, one is a trials bike and the other is a new 125.

Yeah, but it's that grey area thing again. They haven't got the transport Canada seal so technically they're not supposed to be able to be registered.

Having said that, I recall that a couple of their models come with turn signals etc. so as usual I think bureaucracy stands in the way.

It all about how many units they import and sell. That's why many new Ktms were blue plated prior, 2t, 4t factory legal or not.
I believe its homologation, once they sell/import a certain number of units they have to declare whether they are factory legal or not. Prior to homologation, it is a grey area that many dealers will take advantage of. (Thank goodness)
Perhaps someone with more knowledge will come along and explain it better than I.
@Brian P any idea?

Actually, I think the company has to submit the bike(s) for testing, a giant pile of money, pages and pages of data and an extremely long and complicated application to get the transport Canada certification, regardless of how many they expect/hope to, or have previously sold.

I recall stories over the years of people lamenting that this-or-that model wasn't imported because the projected sales didn't warrant the cost of transport Canada registration.

The tires on my Montesa's are stamped 'for off road use only in USA and Canada' and without a battery I would have a heck of a time keeping the parking like going for 20 minutes, unless I maybe hang a 2$ dog collar light on the back of it when I park it, otherwise it is just silliness that all of these bikes are not typically blue plated, they come with all the other street legal required items including a cat converter header pipe!
DOT needs to get over the fact that the tires might explode when the bike is grossly overloaded and the bike is operated at twice its capable speed, and some of us don't care :/ we are only riding it in Canada eh.

Insurance company might have a fit when they encounter your VIN you might want to check that first, get a valid VIN and run a quote on it ;)

Good to know. Thank you.

Is there anyway to find out if one can be blue plated before you buy it. Would I contact DOT?

Good advice. Thank you.

The tires on my Montesa's are stamped 'for off road use only in USA and Canada' and without a battery I would have a heck of a time keeping the parking like going for 20 minutes, unless I maybe hang a 2$ dog collar light on the back of it when I park it, otherwise it is just silliness that all of these bikes are not typically blue plated, they come with all the other street legal required items including a cat converter header pipe!
DOT needs to get over the fact that the tires might explode when the bike is grossly overloaded and the bike is operated at twice its capable speed, and some of us don't care :/ we are only riding it in Canada eh.

Insurance company might have a fit when they encounter your VIN you might want to check that first, get a valid VIN and run a quote on it ;)

& I sure hope you can blue plate one because it's a pretty awesome ride.

? how are you planning to not lose your license for pulling catwalks or doing jumps over pavement markings ? or are you a cop?

Last edited:
Ha. I just want something that can get from the highway to the woods - even if that means cutting through a few parking lots and over some handicapped ramps (Just kidding)
& I sure hope you can blue plate one because it's a pretty awesome ride.

? how are you planning to not lose your license for pulling catwalks or doing jumps over pavement markings ? or are you a cop?

Just found a photo of a friends Beta RR and it has a blue plate on it so yes it is possible :I could buy his.

Is there anyway to find out if one can be blue plated before you buy it. Would I contact DOT?
If buying used, find one that's currently blue plated. Do not plan on converting one if it's already been registered with a green plated offroad ownership.
If buying new, ask the dealer as they will be registering it. If they say no, try a different dealer.
My ktm 200 and 300 2t were both blue plated, though neither was ever "truly" legal. I only used them for the road when connecting trails.

So be registering it, what do you mean exactly? Do you mean the dealer registering it as a street legal/ or do they blue plate it?
Also, What if the dealer provides an empty Nevis form that i fill out myself as street legal? Would that even be accepted of I went to register it?
Sorry bout all the questions.
cheers

If buying used, find one that's currently blue plated. Do not plan on converting one if it's already been registered with a green plated offroad ownership.
If buying new, ask the dealer as they will be registering it. If they say no, try a different dealer.
My ktm 200 and 300 2t were both blue plated, though neither was ever "truly" legal. I only used them for the road when connecting trails.

Usually when you buy new, the dealer registers it with mto and provides the ownership and plates.
Again, ask the dealer. The ones who are involved in ontario trail riding will know what you're talking about.
I'd recommend Lang's, very active in the community in Ontario. Also very aware of the want for blue plates here.
https://langsoffroad.com/

Back
Top Bottom