Amber alert | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Amber alert

All though ridiculous I can somewhat understand people's frustration, maybe make a "White Alert" which a text gets sent and pops up on your phone as priority without an audible alarm. Would prevent all this headache for emergencies at night.

It’s complicated enough as is getting a functioning emergency alert system that works as universally as possible across all cell phone makes and models – and as this thread evidences, it’s still a work in progress at that.

Splitting the system up into different flavours or levels of emergency just complicates things even more – for example, if there was actually a very real nuclear emergency at one of our nuclear power generating stations, I don’t want to find out about it nine hours later while I was asleep in bed.

For the same reason I disagree with being able to disable them either, because you know many people will, then cry about it when there is a real emergency some day that does actually effect them but they weren’t notified of because of their own actions. Let’s use severe summer storms/tornadoes as a real world example – how often do you hear about oblivious people that get caught in severe weather that risks their lives and then blubber on TV afterwards about how “I had no idea, why didn’t someone tell us??!?” after the fact?

And of course because now everything that goes wrong to even the most clueless or oblivious amongst us is somebody else’s fault, well, you see where I’m going with this.

I think what people are complaining about is the fascism that comes with having your phone number mandatorily invaded with no option to opt out.

you don't really know what fascism means, do you?

There are people who don't watch the news, don't care about what goes on in the world and the terror that goes on in it, even if it's in the midst of blowing up

When there's a Tornado is on your doorstop when you're out riding some day and you're completely oblivious that it's about to potentially kill you, a nuclear plant is melting down, you're on a beach somewhere and a tsunami is rolling directly at you, or worse yet...when it's one of YOUR family members that's been abducted by a murderer (as in this latest case)... I suspect you may feel differently about a "facist" alert on your cellphone. :rolleyes:

By the way, yeah, that word doesn't mean what you seem to think it does.

Nothing on my phone. My watch lit up like a christmas tree............at 7am.

I’m all for them using it but have it come through like a normal text message please. Get out of here with that alarm and I don’t need a 3rd alarm to let me know the amber alert is over.

I don’t really understand why it went out 4 hours after she was reported missing. I’d rather be safe then sorry and have it go out as soon as a child’s been reported missing if they are going to use it.

I wish it had of prevented this girls death and hopefully in the future it does prevent other terrible things from happening.

Only in the US. Canadians are not allowed to opt out. This is facsim.

911 used to be an amber alert sytem to emergency services. Now people call it when they are in a bad customer service situation at McDonald's.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

I can turn off Amber alerts, and all alerts, on my phone. My phone is on Bell.

Was sent this from Rogers on how to make sure they are on or off:

(android)

1- Open the Messages App, and go to Settings by tapping the three buttons in the upper right corner.

2- Tap Emergency Alert Settings.

3- Tap on Alert Reminder.

4-Choose Off to Turn off the reminders for Emergency Alert.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

I’d rather be safe then sorry and have it go out as soon as a child’s been reported missing if they are going to use it.

I wish it had of prevented this girls death and hopefully in the future it does prevent other terrible things from happening.

I have to wonder if the people complaining do not have a child or loved one close to them that a few moments of inconvenience upset them that much.

As for calling 911, my short comment would be that it is time for the municipalities to start issuing a formal notification/warning on the misuse of 911 notifications to the caller and/or a charge for service if it was totally without merit since they used it albeit unwarranted so they can pay for the services rendered.

Fascism in simple terms is dictatorship. Your Government just dictated to you that they will take over your phone under certain circumstances. Unlike the US, Canadian's are NOT allowed to opt out. That IS fascism!

At best this system should be used to notify Canadian's that a nuclear weapon has just been launched against North America. I don't think anyone would be calling 911 then. But in reality an EMP will be used in which case this alert system would be knocked out.

Like it or not, some people know our world is about to blow up and don't really care to know when or where they are when it happens. When a democratic government makes decisions, they have to take ALL people into consideration including the "ignorance is bliss" people. Which these days is a large population. I'm not one of them, but I understand why they're upset that their privacy is being violated.

Last edited:
feb 14th and at night.

I imagine the alert spoiled the romantic mood for a lot of ppl.

=================

as a dad, my heart goes out to the little girl and her friends and family

Fascism in simple terms is dictatorship. Your Government just dictated to you that they will take over your phone under certain circumstances. Unlike the US, Canadian's are NOT allowed to opt out. That IS fascism!

At best this system should be used to notify Canadian's that a nuclear weapon has just been launched against North America. I don't think anyone would be calling 911 then. But in reality an EMP will be used in which case this alert system would be knocked out.

Like it or not, some people know our world is about to blow up and don't really care to know when or where they are when it happens. When a democratic government makes decisions, they have to take ALL people into consideration including the "ignorance is bliss" people. Which these days is a large population. I'm not one of them, but I understand why they're upset that their privacy is being violated.

Although all valid points, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that that's not what 99% of the people that were complaining were thinking about.
(if my run-on sentence makes any sense)

@JoeBass I can guarantee you that privacy invasion was the first thing on the majority of Ontario's mind. Hence the uproar. And that the vast majority Ontarians researched how to turn the alerts off only to find out that they can't. Your Government now has control of your phone. That link you provided has no mention of opting out, it's not even in the FAQ. It's not even in the most popular questions...even though it is the most popular question.

https://www.alertready.ca/wireless/

Last edited:
Well I can guarantee that if they get a phone that is not on this list, they CAN opt out.
As I did not and cannot receive the emergency alerts on my LG G4 or my son's LG G5.

And I don't wanna argue, but not one....not A SINGLE POST that I saw today, across 3 social media platforms mentioned invasion of privacy. But the majority did mention that their sleep was disturbed.

Do I think people should be able to opt out?
Absolutely.
Do I think that they can go eff themselves if a disaster is looming and they are not notified because they opted out?
Abso-effing-lutely

I believe in choice
I am not a fan of big brother
I am a fan of, if possible, helping prevent kids being murdered.
I WILL make sure that my next phone is Emergency Alert capable.

Well I can guarantee that if they get a phone that is not on this list, they CAN opt out.
As I did not and cannot receive the emergency alerts on my LG G4 or my son's LG G5.

And I don't wanna argue, but not one....not A SINGLE POST that I saw today, across 3 social media platforms mentioned invasion of privacy. But the majority did mention that their sleep was disturbed.

Do I think people should be able to opt out?
Absolutely.
Do I think that they can go eff themselves if a disaster is looming and they are not notified because they opted out?
Abso-effing-lutely

I believe in choice
I am not a fan of big brother
I am a fan of, if possible, helping prevent kids being murdered.
I WILL make sure that my next phone is Emergency Alert capable.

"Their sleep was disturbed" = invasion of privacy.

The Ontario government misused a system that is designed to warn of mass distruction to the masses. That's the bottom line.

The same result would have been had using the amber alert on the highway signs..the father would have been apprehended by the OPP as all eyes on the 400 would have been on the lookout.

I think this instance of abuse of this system will generate change to the criteria for use of the system, as well as an opt out choice.

In a democracy, people control the government, not the other way 'round. Next thing you know they'll be telling you that only person's of certain skin colours and religions in Ontario have to wear motorcycle helmets! Hmmm...

Interesting. When mine is connected to a WiFi network (anytime I'm home) it's not going to get the alerts. Only when connected to LTE. So never going to get disrupted at home. Come to think of it, I may have gotten an alert a while back when I was on the road.

It's been reported that people as far away as Winnipeg got the alert. That's ridiculous and breeds apathy.

"Their sleep was disturbed" = invasion of privacy.

The Ontario government misused a system that is designed to warn of mass distruction to the masses. That's the bottom line.

The same result would have been had using the amber alert on the highway signs..the father would have been apprehended by the OPP as all eyes on the 400 would have been on the lookout.

I think this instance of abuse of this system will generate change to the criteria for use of the system, as well as an opt out choice.

In a democracy, people control the government, not the other way 'round. Next thing you know they'll be telling you that only person's of certain skin colours and religions in Ontario have to wear motorcycle helmets! Hmmm...

So Canadians can't opt out....but if enough people complain they'll change it? And that's fascism? You're obviously confused. That's the opposite of fascism isn't it? When you don't like a law that isn't a dictatorship if you can vote in someone who changes the law. That's called democracy. If no one cares enough and nobody forces the government to change that's apathy but still not fascism. I get that this has everything to do with skin colours and your ability to use an apostrophe.

I got the alert at 5:50am on the way to the office -- scared the snot out of me when it blasted over my car's Bluetooth! My phone shuts off at 10PM, so nothing overnight -- if I did get a blast, I'm OK with that, I would listen and do my part for a missing child.

For those who complained -- shame on you. If you got a Facebook notification about a funny cat pic that would be OK. If a missing kid notification makes you call 911, you're simply a loser.

Back
Top Bottom