Fairing repair? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fairing repair?

datguywithtaste

https://imgur.com/a/YP7ATDB

No cracks or broken pieces, fairings were shaved down when the bike slid across the pavement. Would it be possible to use some kind of filler/bondo/putty and sand it down and paint it? OEM fairings are over $2000 for what I need which is ****ing ridiculous. aumotorfairing have kits for around $650CAD, but im worried it wont look good. What would you do in my situation?

More stickers? It will be hard to rebuild that and have it look good. It I was going to try, I would use plastic to build up the areas and then file it back to shape. On such a flexible surface, I don't give bondo a chance as it will crack. What plastic are the panels made of? Methyl Methacrylate + ABS makes goo. The MM then flashes off and you are left with ABS. You then need a repaint.

Personally, I wouldn't go to the cost and effort required to repair those fairings, but to each their own. To make this bike mint again, you need a bunch of time and/or money for the fairings, probably a decal kit, cleanup and/or replace the mangled metal coming through the fairing, and probably some work on the bar end/mirrors/signals. The numbers add up very quickly.

EDIT:
Wear a good mask and goggles if using MM. That stuff is nasty.

Last edited:
carbon fibre tape or carbon fibre look heat shrink stuff and a hair dryer :|

I tried patching a deformed side box with one of the filler putties and it made it worse. It was abs solvent mixed with abs shavings. It might have worked for a scratch but on larger areas it softened the whole thing and it deformed.

Bought a bike last year from a lady with similar fairing damage. Got it for a steal because the lady I bought it from didnt ride much and it obviously had that damage. Spent a few days sanding and bondo, got a chinese decal set for ~$40 and factory colour (https://www.dpars.com/en). Now you cant tell that there was any fairing damage.

However I will say, it does take time, effort and A LOT of patience to get fairing mint again. If you have a place to get the work done over the remaining of the winter, go for it. Not sure of the year but I'm sure you can find something on ebay in mint condition if you do not want to purchase a complete set.

Leave it as is. "scars are just tattoos with better stories"

By the photo, this appears to be from a late model GSXR. Used parts should be available; look on ebay and look on internet forums dedicated to those bikes. Those bikes are not rare. If these were from some rare and valuable bike for which parts are unobtainium, then maybe it would be worth professional repair ... but not for that bike. Repair to a "like it never happened" quality will cost more than buying new replacement parts from the dealer. (Shouldn't be $2000 for ordering only the specific parts that you need)

Unless you are an expert in plastic repair and painting, no do-it-yourself job will have the results that you appear to be looking for.

Back
Top Bottom