Jagmeet Singh | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Jagmeet Singh

I think recent politics has become less about voting for something than voting against something instead. This is how you get a Trudeau, a Ford and a Trump and a Brexit too if we're going to be inclusive. Trudeau not Harper, Ford not any Liberal, Trump not Clinton and Brexit not uppity Europeans. Lurching from one problem to another following the tribe.

Thats fine...but the idiot is doing irreparable harm to higher education. That’s where you get innovation from. No innovation means service industries only. If you’re fine with that then ok. We are already way way behind many other first world countries in innovation.

I really don’t mind if he’s a populist, but being a populist and anti-intellectual that’s a dangerous combo.

Where's the irreparable harm? I've been reading up on it in the Star, and I'm not finding much to complain about.

Where's the irreparable harm? I've been reading up on it in the Star, and I'm not finding much to complain about.

Certain students with low income families are at a significant disadvantage now with Fords OSAP rules. The 10% tuition cut has drastically reduced (tens of millions in some cases) the income of a number of universities and potentially halted new hires (student to faculty ratios have been increasing steadily over the past few years). The impact is disproportionately greater in Northern Ontario where quite a few universities will struggle more than they are currently. Fords policies are anti-intellectual. The 10% tuition cut combined with new OSAP regulations benefits the wealthy more now and these are precisely the students that don’t need those cuts.

IMO our prime minister is a figure head for the backers of the party. I looked up what is needed to become a party member and the fee is between free and $15.00 a year. One condition is that you agree with the party line. Join up but don't speak up. Nothing is going to change and yeah we vote people out not in.

'Need to figure out a way to extract humans from politics, but I guess it wouldn't be politics...

There's got to be a way...
An algorithm built to decide on every issue taking into account the greatest good for the greatest number of people... Strip out all the emotion and self interest.

'Got a difficult issue to come to terms with... Let the machine decide..!

'Need to figure out a way to extract humans from politics, but I guess it wouldn't be politics...

There's got to be a way...
An algorithm built to decide on every issue taking into account the greatest good for the greatest number of people... Strip out all the emotion and self interest.

'Got a difficult issue to come to terms with... Let the machine decide..!
Skynet?

Certain students with low income families are at a significant disadvantage now with Fords OSAP rules. The 10% tuition cut has drastically reduced (tens of millions in some cases) the income of a number of universities and potentially halted new hires (student to faculty ratios have been increasing steadily over the past few years). The impact is disproportionately greater in Northern Ontario where quite a few universities will struggle more than they are currently. Fords policies are anti-intellectual. The 10% tuition cut combined with new OSAP regulations benefits the wealthy more now and these are precisely the students that don’t need those cuts.

Do you have examples? What I've read, is that Wynne's attempt was costing two billion dollars, and had people making lots of money getting payouts, which made it unsustainable. The new structure is also a first attempt, so there's room for tweaking it. As far as enrollment, I've heard that it's on the decline and won't pick back up for a decade. So, do you have references for that, as well? Remote areas have always had a struggle. That's not to say that it's right, but with less of a population, large amounts of income pumped into the area may have less impact. One thing that bothers me, is that many people believe that if they don't take full advantage of every handout, then they're somehow losing out, leaving money on the table. Yes, you're leaving money on the table, but hopefully someone less well off than you can then pick it up. Greed isn't always good. Anyways, if you can get back to me with the citations, I'd appreciate it.

Do you have examples? What I've read, is that Wynne's attempt was costing two billion dollars, and had people making lots of money getting payouts, which made it unsustainable. The new structure is also a first attempt, so there's room for tweaking it. As far as enrollment, I've heard that it's on the decline and won't pick back up for a decade. So, do you have references for that, as well? Remote areas have always had a struggle. That's not to say that it's right, but with less of a population, large amounts of income pumped into the area may have less impact. One thing that bothers me, is that many people believe that if they don't take full advantage of every handout, then they're somehow losing out, leaving money on the table. Yes, you're leaving money on the table, but hopefully someone less well off than you can then pick it up. Greed isn't always good. Anyways, if you can get back to me with the citations, I'd appreciate it.

No citations. I attended a meeting with University officers where the impact of the cuts was laid out and listened to students who have analyzed what the OSAP changes will mean to them. Universities have been underfunded for decades in this country and that has had some severe repercussions such as industry interference in programs that are by necessity sponsored by corporations. The biggest display of this was when a UofT researcher was censured when she tried to publish bad side effects of a Canadian drug from a manufacturer that ploughed a lot of cash into the University. Cutting funding further only takes us deeper into the rabbit hole. As for enrollment, it varies from University to University and region to region. At mine we have been expanding nearly every year. Some might say that you need to “trim the fat” but these places have been on a diet for years.

Many young people have a sense of entitlement too when it comes to post secondary education and it indeed has become too accessible.
The value of many 4 year degrees is cheapened 'cuz really... Everyone gets one.
University is the new high school.
I have two kids in University. One finishing up her third year, the other started back in Sept. No OSAP, no assistance at all... We get to pay for everything.
So... the student unions and the whiners writing their op-ed pieces about how tough they have it as a student and how much debt they incur can FOAD.
There was a time when if you didn't have the money for university... You didn't go.

No citations. I attended a meeting with University officers where the impact of the cuts was laid out and listened to students who have analyzed what the OSAP changes will mean to them. Universities have been underfunded for decades in this country and that has had some severe repercussions such as industry interference in programs that are by necessity sponsored by corporations. The biggest display of this was when a UofT researcher was censured when she tried to publish bad side effects of a Canadian drug from a manufacturer that ploughed a lot of cash into the University. Cutting funding further only takes us deeper into the rabbit hole. As for enrollment, it varies from University to University and region to region. At mine we have been expanding nearly every year. Some might say that you need to “trim the fat” but these places have been on a diet for years.

The problem with your argument is that it's really hard to make with what you have. You can't go up to Merrilee and say this has a negative impact because some people told me so.
I don't know enough about the new government's system to be able to judge it, but the previous government's was $2B over what they expected, so they'd have had to make changes anyways.
We need more specifics on who's getting screwed and who's gaming the system. In any case, none of my kids are likely to see any of the money.

Many young people have a sense of entitlement too when it comes to post secondary education and it indeed has become too accessible.
The value of many 4 year degrees is cheapened 'cuz really... Everyone gets one.
University is the new high school.
I have two kids in University. One finishing up her third year, the other started back in Sept. No OSAP, no assistance at all... We get to pay for everything.
So... the student unions and the whiners writing their op-ed pieces about how tough they have it as a student and how much debt they incur can FOAD.
There was a time when if you didn't have the money for university... You didn't go.
You have a problem with knowledge and potential advancement in youth being accessible? That only the well off should be able to go to school? That's rough man.
Especially when school tuition costs have increased by 3x as an average in 30 years regardless of inflation.
That's just a cyclical the rich stay rich and the poor stay wanting. Let's become America I guess.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

You have a problem with knowledge and potential advancement in youth being accessible? That only the well off should be able to go to school? That's rough man.
Especially when school tuition costs have increased by 3x as an average in 30 years regardless of inflation.
That's just a cyclical the rich stay rich and the poor stay wanting. Let's become America I guess.

I think his real issue is, where is the value in said education now. More so now that you (he) is paying said 3x increase.

that is Ford's goal
no one should be surprised by this

simple solutions from a simple mind addressing immensely complicated problems
usually doesn't work out too well

Sorry All.

I really just wanted to get a sense of what Canadians though about Jagmeet. As I said, my personal views are more aligned with the NDP as a party and I can still vote in Canada, and will move back some day, so its interesting to hear other peoples thoughts. Thanks to those that replied with their honest opinions

I'm not interested in Ford or Trudeau bashing at the moment.

Mods, you can lock this now :)

Sorry All.

I really just wanted to get a sense of what Canadians though about Jagmeet. As I said, my personal views are more aligned with the NDP as a party and I can still vote in Canada, and will move back some day, so its interesting to hear other peoples thoughts. Thanks to those that replied with their honest opinions

Jag Who?

Zero. He's got nothing to offer, I'm guessing he's gonna have a hard time keeping official party status next election.

Sorry All.

I think he is a douch bag. No real examples why, just my impression. NDP party shouldn't even exist either. There is no free lunch, which is what they keep trying to offer.

Back
Top Bottom