Germany’s Fight Over Speed-Limits On The Autobahn | GTAMotorcycle.com

Germany’s Fight Over Speed-Limits On The Autobahn

D-J

Site Supporter
maxresdefault.jpg

A fierce debate over implementing an 80mph speed-limit on the nation’s world-famous autobahn rages in Germany with auto-industry lobbyists and car enthusiasts in one corner and safety & environmental advocates in the other.

Full article: https://eatsleepride.com/c/289078/the_great_debate_germanys_fight_over_speed-limits_on_the_autobahn

Interesting point to note: Statistically speaking the Autobahn is actually the safest form of motorized vehicular travel in Germany with more than twice as many deaths occurring in urban collisions than on the Autobahn, and over four times as many deadly rural accidents than on the iconic freeway network.

They already pay so much in taxes on gasoline and they're talking about raising the taxes on it more for the carbon emissions? Didn't something similar happen in France recently? lol
So many regulations/taxes already in place and they keep wanting more and more. Aslong as China keeps polluting none of these things they do matter. it's just about more control to them and you know damn well they couldn't care less about safety.
It ain't the Germans it's the EU pressuring them. Guess the whole Brexit wasn't so crazy?
Germany won't be Germany without the autobahn!!

Speed limits on the Autobahn has been a recurring debate for as long as I remember :rolleyes:
Haven't read anything that this is driven by the EU (and I read the German papers regularly).
The latest iteration is presented under the argument of reducing emission, which the speed limit (proposed is 130 KM/H) would only affect marginally.
The government already stated that they won't be pursuing it.

They are looking for a way to tax the population even more, someones gotta pay for the new welfare state.

Didn't something similar happen in France recently? lol

yup, but the French are.....different
always looking for a reason to take to the streets in protest
not sure the Germans would do that
an ordered society with rules for everything is all they know
but I guess anyone can be pushed too far

link in the first post, I had a look
says the autobahn is a tourist attraction?
really??

the autobahn is a tourist attraction? really??

Apparently yes. "The Autobahn is responsible for its own tourism industry, with dozens of companies offering car rentals — often of the exotic variety — as well as driving lessons, trip packages, etc, all revolving around the freeway. The network of roads has become a go-to local for motorsport enthusiasts around the world and it serves as a point of pride for countless Germans."

A friend of mine was living in Munich a few years ago with his family on a work-related contract. He rented a BMW --a 7 series sedan I think-- opened it up on the Autobahn and said it was one of the most exhilarating experiences he's had [in a car] on a public road.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

As we have seen, the anti-freedom left has taken over in Germany, laden with bleeding heart causes to ruin everyone's fun.

As we have seen, the anti-freedom left has taken over in Germany, laden with bleeding heart causes to ruin everyone's fun.

Not true at all. Germany was Green before most of Europe was Green. Recycling was a huge thing there before we ever got blue bins and composting wheelie bins. Years and years before in fact. They have always been at the forefront of the green revolution, this is an extension of that. Nothing to do with left vs right...but a reasonable amount to do with science.

Not true at all. Germany was Green before most of Europe was Green. Recycling was a huge thing there before we ever got blue bins and composting wheelie bins. Years and years before in fact. They have always been at the forefront of the green revolution, this is an extension of that. Nothing to do with left vs right...but a reasonable amount to do with science.

Ha reminds me of when I had to take the garbage out when I was visiting a friend in Copenhagen. There's separate bins for two types of plastic, but some plastic is garbage, bottles, cardboard, paper, but some paper is garbage, and a few more bins. Some nice clean dude collecting bottles helped me sort it all out. Here people throw coffee cups in the recycling bin even though they are NOT recyclable but we have absurd speed limits. I rather drive home at 200KMH and spend 15 minutes sorting my garbage. Anyways it's good to be environmentally responsible, but **** the bleeding hearts.

Like I said: laden with bleeding heart causes.

The little experience I've had on the autobahn was that 99% drive at between 110kph and 130kph, like they do here on the 400. Rare is the guy who blasts past at 180+. At those excessive sustained speeds, engines suck the very expensive European gas like small aircraft. Most intelligent people realize after you do the insane speed stunt once, you're quenched. Shaving a couple of minutes off a short trip (remember Europe is small with the largest countries a fifth the size of Ontario) is hardly a concern for freedom over safety.

Yeah but where, (within about 150 km of the GTA), are EVER going to be able to drive at 200 km/h for commuting. Also unless you have a VERY expensive high performance car. Your 4 cylinder, POS or minivan engine, isn't going to last very long at daily 200 km/h commutes...lmao

Ha reminds me of when I had to take the garbage out when I was visiting a friend in Copenhagen. There's separate bins for two types of plastic, but some plastic is garbage, bottles, cardboard, paper, but some paper is garbage, and a few more bins. Some nice clean dude collecting bottles helped me sort it all out. Here people throw coffee cups in the recycling bin even though they are NOT recyclable but we have absurd speed limits. I rather drive home at 200KMH and spend 15 minutes sorting my garbage. Anyways it's good to be environmentally responsible, but **** the bleeding hearts.

Not true, just look at Trudeau's fiberals, your free to do ANYTHING, (as long as it coincides with THEIR agenda)...lol

Yeah but where, (within about 150 km of the GTA), are EVER going to be able to drive at 200 km/h for commuting. Also unless you have a VERY expensive high performance car. Your 4 cylinder, POS or minivan engine, isn't going to last very long at daily 200 km/h commutes...lmao

There is a speed limit on the Autobahn around the big cities as well ;)
Traffic tends to be a lot more congested over there than here.

Last edited:
The little experience I've had on the autobahn was that 99% drive at between 110kph and 130kph, like they do here on the 400. Rare is the guy who blasts past at 180+. At those excessive sustained speeds, engines suck the very expensive European gas like small aircraft. Most intelligent people realize after you do the insane speed stunt once, you're quenched. Shaving a couple of minutes off a short trip (remember Europe is small with the largest countries a fifth the size of Ontario) is hardly a concern for freedom over safety.

If you don't want to consume more fuel, keep to the right and cruise on. Atleast they have the option to without fines etc and 150 to 180 kph is cruising speeds on the autobahn from what a German friend tells me and that's not much worse on fuel consumption. It's the WOT runs that drink more fuel but that's to be expected when having fun so it doesn't matter, still cheaper than speeding tickets etc. Besides, there are plenty of people there who have nice toys that let them rip, it is the strongest country in the EU after all.

Nah, been there. Most traffic is doing 120-140 km/h. For every high end Benz doing 180, there are at least 10 each of VW Polo non turbo diesel, Renault Twingo 1.0, Ford Mondeo 1.6 towing a trailer bigger than the car, and vans, lots of them, all with 4 cylinder diesel engines. None of any of those are going very fast. They can't!

^ And that's why imposing a speed limit does not make sense there.

Reducing speed would save a few lives but nothing major, as only some of the very high end cars like Porsche are so few and are traveling at sustained light speed. Accidents are mainly caused by speed differentials, so if the bulk of traffic is moving at say 120 kph, then it's a very safe drive. But if 1/3 are doing 100, 1/3 do 120 and 1/3 do 140 you get frequent lane changes, tailgating and a high potential for accidents.

If you read the article the issue is more about meeting the new stricter EU emission standards. Politicians must be seen as taking affirmative action, they can't just say ..."the speed issue is minor, so forget it".

But what will happen over the long run is because of EU emission standards speeds will naturally come down. Because engine displacement will be reduced to 1 litre or less eventually in small cars. VW is a classic example, in North America their standard Golf engine was 2.0 litres in late 1990s, then went to 2.5 (temporary competitive pressure), then went to 1.8, now it's 1.4 but in Europe the standard engine is 1.0 litre. So as you drive down displacement with the goal of lower fuel consumption, the speed issue eventually disappears for the vast majority of vehicles.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom