Bank Recommendations | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bank Recommendations

I was closing out a CIBC registered account and they wanted $100 IIRC to close the account. I asked what happened if I defunded the account but left it open. That costs $0. I still have that account open with no balance. Idiots.

I still have $0.03 in a CIBC account from 1993 for the same reason. No RBC in the town, so I opened a CIBC chequing account for convenience. I was getting charged up and down (fee for depositing and withdrawing money). Went to close the account and there was a fee for that. I'm pretty sure they've spent a hell of a lot more than the fee dealing with my 3 cents over the last 25 years. Shidiots.

Shitiots. Love it.

Gotta give props to CICB though, they are really good when opening a charity account. Mention that and they waive most fees.

Sent from a credit union fan

I still have $0.03 in a CIBC account from 1993 for the same reason. No RBC in the town, so I opened a CIBC chequing account for convenience. I was getting charged up and down (fee for depositing and withdrawing money). Went to close the account and there was a fee for that. I'm pretty sure they've spent a hell of a lot more than the fee dealing with my 3 cents over the last 25 years. Shidiots.

This is brilliant. I bet it takes just as much time to administer that account as it does one with $100k in it.

This is brilliant. I bet it takes just as much time to administer that account as it does one with $100k in it.

It was 25 years and several concussions ago. The account was with TD. I went to the CIBC in town first and they told me they'd only open an account if I included a VISA, and I didn't want nor need a second one.

Actually, they just service charge the thing.

Yeah, you might end up with service charges over and above the few cents left in the acct. Depends on the type and billing. I have one acct that charges me $4/month and it's mostly deposits going into it. They do give a "discount" of $4 on it though.

I don’t have a lot of time to post but I thought I would comment on this one.

I’m retired but spent my life in software engineering and process control and I’m helping out a company in Vancouver at the moment. Their goal is to try and enable services for people in second and third world countries (South East Asia, India, Africa, etc.) that we in the West take for granted. So, Entertainment, E-Health, Remote Education, Banking, etc. It sounds like a noble effort, but they are a for profit business and generally work with the local governments in these locals to roll out services.

A big part of their portfolio is banking. In many of the places they service, people may have to walk for a day to get to a bricks and mortar bank. They have moved all of that on line and employers or the government can make payments to that account, and they can settle debts through the same system. Its cell phone based as 3G is pretty much ubiquitous and cheap phones are easily provided. As someone said above its basically adding and subtracting numbers from a total that’s kept in a table. Its not real physical money.

Since the application was build from the ground up, and its used in some sketchy area’s security on both the client and server side was paramount and was built with that as a first priority, unlike on-line banking applications in Canada. I’m and RBC customer and their application contains GlassBox that basically tracks everything that I do on my screen. Its similar with every interact transaction I do and every web banking transaction. I can see it when I log onto on-line banking and it gives me reports on my spending patterns and habits.

Why do they do that? Its not for my benefit to track my spending. They sell it to people like Amazon, Advertisers and Retailers so they can better target their promotions to me and drive sales. This is an enormous money maker for the banks. So much so that Stats Canada tried to get into the act a few months ago. There was a good Globe and Mail article on it

Before we retired my wife ran the Data Science group there. Basically, there are petabytes of information on all their customers that is worth a lot of money. BTW, that’s why 95% of my banking is now done through Meridian.

Nevertheless, there are almost 220 million people in third world countries that depend on this new banking solution. They are in the process of regularity approval in Canada and the US and if approved it will be a major shift in how banking is done. Clearly the big banks will fight it tooth and nail. It may not be for everyone or replace all banking but if I could get third world bank fees in a more secure and convenient environment, I would certainly consider it. BTW, Paypal sounded crazy at first - now it’s a verb

One of the slides in the pitch deck is interesting. The CEO compares himself with the big 5 CEO’s. So, you have McKay there that’s making $12mm a year salary with total comp around $70mm, for doing quite a poor job IMHO. Keith’s salary is $1 a year. Now clearly, he doesn’t need the money, but that money he is not talking is coming back to people in the form of minimal fees.

Banking will change. Bitcoin was a bit of a cluster **** but the underlying technologies have proven to be very solid and secure. Too secure. I was given 2 bit coin back in 2011 when it was worth about $200. I tried to sell when it was close to $20k but I have lost the keys and there is no way to retrieve them. That money will be in cyber space forever.

Last edited:

I’m retired but spent my life in software engineering and process control and I’m helping out a company in Vancouver at the moment. Their goal is to try and enable services for people in second and third world countries (South East Asia, India, Africa, etc.) that we in the West take for granted. So, Entertainment, E-Health, Remote Education, Banking, etc. It sounds like a noble effort, but they are a for profit business and generally work with the local governments in these locals to roll out services.

A big part of their portfolio is banking. In many of the places they service, people may have to walk for a day to get to a bricks and mortar bank. They have moved all of that on line and employers or the government can make payments to that account, and they can settle debts through the same system. Its cell phone based as 3G is pretty much ubiquitous and cheap phones are easily provided. As someone said above its basically adding and subtracting numbers from a total that’s kept in a table. Its not real physical money.

Since the application was build from the ground up, and its used in some sketchy area’s security on both the client and server side was paramount and was built with that as a first priority, unlike on-line banking applications in Canada. I’m and RBC customer and their application contains GlassBox that basically tracks everything that I do on my screen. Its similar with every interact transaction I do and every web banking transaction. I can see it when I log onto on-line banking and it gives me reports on my spending patterns and habits.

Why do they do that? Its not for my benefit to track my spending. They sell it to people like Amazon, Advertisers and Retailers so they can better target their promotions to me and drive sales. This is an enormous money maker for the banks. So much so that Stats Canada tried to get into the act a few months ago. There was a good Globe and Mail article on it

Before we retired my wife ran the Data Science group there. Basically, there are petabytes of information on all their customers that is worth a lot of money. BTW, that’s why 95% of my banking is now done through Meridian.

Nevertheless, there are almost 220 million people in third world countries that depend on this new banking solution. They are in the process of regularity approval in Canada and the US and if approved it will be a major shift in how banking is done. Clearly the big banks will fight it tooth and nail. It may not be for everyone or replace all banking but if I could get third world bank fees in a more secure and convenient environment, I would certainly consider it. BTW, Paypal sounded crazy at first - now it’s a verb

One of the slides in the pitch deck is interesting. The CEO compares himself with the big 5 CEO’s. So, you have McKay there that’s making $12mm a year salary with total comp around $70mm, for doing quite a poor job IMHO. Keith’s salary is $1 a year. Now clearly, he doesn’t need the money, but that money he is not talking is coming back to people in the form of minimal fees.

Banking will change. Bitcoin was a bit of a cluster **** but the underlying technologies have proven to be very solid and secure. Too secure. I was given 2 bit coin back in 2011 when it was worth about $200. I tried to sell when it was close to $20k but I have lost the keys and there is no way to retrieve them. That money will be in cyber space forever.

What you're saying doesn't coincide with my experience.

What is your experience?

McKays salary and package is reported on line

You can google World Capacity Builders and see how they are bringing financial freedom the the disenfranchised.

The company that provides RBC infrastructure is listed by GlassBox as a partner

The Globe and Mail (google it as I cant be bothered) published a story where Stats Canada wanted to work in conjunction with the big banks to be another channel for their data.

Last edited:

We work with an accelerator. They were one of the companies that bootstrapped Paypal. They have 2 virtual bank startups on their books right now. I think competition to the banks will come, just as UBER and Lyft provide competition to taxi companies. I think there will be a fight just as there was with the taxi companies. Some people will embrace it, some will use both, and some will never trust anyone but a big bank.

Its interesting about the data piece. There is a whole clause in my TD contract allowing them to collect my data. I don't know if thats changed with PII and GDPR or not.

Not quite true.

Your credit rating (FICO score or VantageScore) is based on your history of paying back debt on time. The total amount you can borrow has 0 impact on the credit rating. Now banks may look at that total amount of potential debt and *possibly* deny you a mortgage, line of credit or credit card if your income won't support it, but that has nothing to do with the actual numerical credit rating score.

It is true that your credit rating is negatively affected at the time you *apply* for new credit, but that quickly recovers to the level it was at after a few months of regular payments.
Not exactly. Your credit rating is based on the 5Cs of credit with Canadian credit agencies. Your credit score is impacted partially by your repayment history (how you pay back credit) it also considers available credit (Riceburner was correct), how much of your available credit you have utilized, and history of shopping for credit and any derogatory credit activity (collections, discharges etc).

If you have a bankruptcy, forget about getting unsecured credit for 7 after the discharge date. If you file a consumer proposal, extend that to about 13 years for typical cases -- they don't always tell you this when you call the "debt relief when you can't repay" guys.

Last edited:

This is a complicated issue, my feeling is it's lots of good intention that faces insurmountable odds of success. Money is just to controlled, it's not easy to dis intermediate the existing banking infrastructure.

Banks have been at the center of our economy for 200+ years, they know what they are doing, they are pretty stout as a whole. Sure there are failures, but most banks today are too conservative to do anything that puts their business at risk -- including letting the likes of PayPal or Amazon get too deeply rooted in their space.

The 2 big Canadian banks make more than $35m in profit per day, 365 days a year - any startup fintech company would be snatched up with lunch money.

Not exactly. Your credit rating is based on the 5Cs of credit with Canadian credit agencies. Your credit score is impacted partially by your repayment history (how you pay back credit) it also considers available credit (Riceburner was correct), how much of your available credit you have utilized, and history of shopping for credit and any derogatory credit activity (collections, discharges etc).

Not to put too fine of a point on it, but Riceburner was alluding that the more available credit you have, the lower your credit rating. This is not true. Someone with $1,000,000 of available credit can have exactly the same credit rating as someone with $2,500 credit available, given the same history, repayment, etc.

You are talking about % credit utilization, which we were not even discussing.

I corrected myself. It wasn't the credit rating I was thinking of...it's the potential for debt with multiple credit cards.

Not to put too fine of a point on it, but Riceburner was alluding that the more available credit you have, the lower your credit rating. This is not true. Someone with $1,000,000 of available credit can have exactly the same credit rating as someone with $2,500 credit available, given the same history, repayment, etc.

You are talking about % credit utilization, which we were not even discussing.
Your statement is true, but unlikely.

You are incorrect on credit utilization -- it is the most significant part of your credit score. If you have a $10,000 credit card (available credit) and you pay your balance down balance below $3300 (<33% utilization) your credit score will be higher than if you keep the balance at $5000.

You are incorrect on credit utilization -- it is the most significant part of your credit score.

Credit utilization is not the most critical part of your credit score, payment history is.

Here is a reference:

https://www.thebalance.com/what-your-credit-score-is-made-of-960450

Here's another one:

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/help/5-parts-components-fico-credit-score-6000.php

If you have a $10,000 credit card (available credit) and you pay your balance down balance below $3300 (<33% utilization) your credit score will be higher than if you keep the balance at $5000.

But what does this have to do with what we are talking about? This is the original quote:

Best to have multiple CCs, Visa, MC, etc....but not too many as that hits your credit rating. Each limit adds up to what you could potentially be in debt for.

And I responded:

The total amount you can borrow has 0 impact on the credit rating.

Nowhere did either of us talk about credit utilization. We were talking about the cumulative total of potential liability. Having one or ten credit cards will have 0 impact on your credit rating.

And even if we were to pursue your line of thinking about credit utilization, more credit cards hence higher potential liability will actually *lower* % credit utilization, if the balance owing stays the same.

ie. I have one credit card, limit $10K, currently has $5K on it. I am at 50% utilization. If I apply for more cards, the available credit increases. Say I have 5 cards at $10K each. I now have a $5K balance from a total of $50K available. That's a 10% utlization. Much better than the 50% utilization with only a single card.

It's actually more *beneficial* to have more cards, or more credit available to reflect a lower credit utilization.

Strange, all the info I've heard was that it's not beneficial to have multiple credit cards in general.
Sounds like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other...
one write up:
https://www.investopedia.com/articl...y-credit-cards-can-hurt-your-credit-score.asp
The Bottom Line
Having a lot of credit cards can hurt your credit score under any of the following conditions:

You have so many payments that you haven’t been able to keep up with all them
Your outstanding debt is more than 30% of your total available credit
You have added too many cards in too short a time
You lack diversity in your credit accounts
Good reasons to acquire more cards include:

Getting a low-interest rate
Transferring a balance to a 0%-interest card
Obtaining better perks, such as a rewards program
Adding available credit to lower your debt-to-credit ratio
However, if you do have too many cards, don’t simply start closing accounts. That can never help your credit score. Instead, leave them open but just stop using them.

lol... Just got a letter from RBC that one of my accounts wasn't used in at least 2 years and a $20 charge for inactivity would be levied if I don't reactivate it by doing a transaction. If there's not enough $$ in the account to cover the fee, they will close it.

Last edited:
It gets off track from the thread but, what constitutes a good credit rating isn’t always the score. It really depends who is evaluating the report and for what purpose.

You can have a great credit score and be denied a financial product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just got a letter from RBC that one of my accounts wasn't used in at least 2 years and a $20 charge for inactivity would be levied if I don't reactivate it by doing a transaction. If there's not enough $$ in the account to cover the fee, they will close it.

I received the same letter last week on a $US account I have with $1K balance. Advised to make a transaction by mid March or $20 applies.
I have not travelled to the US for 3 years so money is just there.
Here is the kicker. Upon receipt of the letter I tried to transfer funds. Not allowed in...not allowed out. Insufficient funds.
I contacted RBC and they had already locked the account but would take the hold off to allow transactions.
WTF!! .?
Now I am thinking I will take the nice exchange rate and move it to my other savings account, if they want to be like that.

I received the same letter last week on a $US account I have with $1K balance. Advised to make a transaction by mid March or $20 applies.
I have not travelled to the US for 3 years so money is just there.
Here is the kicker. Upon receipt of the letter I tried to transfer funds. Not allowed in...not allowed out. Insufficient funds.
I contacted RBC and they had already locked the account but would take the hold off to allow transactions.
WTF!! .?
Now I am thinking I will take the nice exchange rate and move it to my other savings account, if they want to be like that.

That's Crazy. Check the contract you signed and see if they are trying to change the terms of your service. Bell tried to do that with my Cell service once and I argued with them until they reinstated the original terms.

My RBC BankManager was extremely ****** off when I went in to close my accounts. She even asked was this personal. I told her no, its just business. RBC couldn't support my needs.

I did get meet with the TD Bank manager. They have assigned me a personal representative and I have his direct line if something should go happen and I need help immediately. He only deals with 40 customers in total, and can provide a more personalized experience. That's a really nice touch, and I'm not a wealthy guy by any stretch of the imagination. I wonder how someone with a $100mm net worth gets treated :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom