Red Hill Valley Parkway long term hazard | GTAMotorcycle.com

Red Hill Valley Parkway long term hazard

A report outlining dangerous and deficient construction was supressed for six years? Say it isn't so. This is going to cost the city a fortune. They should prosecute and cancel the pension of staff members that knew about it and kept it hidden. This whole cover your *** attitude with public money has to be crushed.

wow
any parties involving a fatality on that road will have a field day with this
if there isn't already, I'd expect a nasty class action for this
taxes are going to go up in Hamilton

Why in the heck wouldn't they just force the contractors to come back and fix it if it was defective? Will they publish a list, and blacklist them at least?

Naw. They will slap them with a fine that they will not pay and tie up in court for years and still be the contractor for the city in the meantime reaping millions.

Why in the heck wouldn't they just force the contractors to come back and fix it if it was defective? Will they publish a list, and blacklist them at least?

big public infrastructure projects like that also have to be bonded
so even if the contractor has gone bankrupt
if they have not performed, the bonding agency has to pay to fix it

really a good question Baggsy

you'd almost think Hamilton had a corruption problem or something

It's not just construction defects. There are safety issues on RHP that are the result of poor engineering. For example, steel segment strips IN a curve. But we're talking about Hamilton, they love engineering poor safety conditions here. For example, I wouldn't ride downtown on main street in wet conditions, some idiot decided to paint an entire crosswalk, not stripe, but fully paint the whole damned area. Somebody didn't realize that road paint is like ice to tires. Not only did they not realize it, but they thought it was some kind of hate crime when they started noticing skid marks on the damned thing.
B88364576Z.1_20180913170906_000_GAEARKT0.3-0_Super_Portrait.jpg

The cheap solution? Lower the speed limit to 50km/h.

Your not not far off. The reported interim plan is to reduce the speed limit from its current 90 Km/h to 80 km/h with lots of police presence, until it’s resurfaced. Guess they are hoping to recoupe as much cash as possible to pay for the resurfacing. This may Prevent some of the accidents, but the bigger issue is the lack of merging space between on ramps and off ramps. Too many vehicles trying to crisscross into each other’s lanes.

around here, its nick named Body Bag Boulevard.....

Formerly, 'The Dead Hill Expressway'.

The day it opened, I came off the qew (from east) and spun a 540 where it bends. The pavement was brand new. Sun was out, warm day, nothing wrong with my tires. I'd never experienced that, and wondered wtf? I kept it off the fence.
Latest report cleared it up for me, yrs later!

So have do you make asphalt that is too slippery and why doesn't it happen more often?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Never had a issue with RHE in any weather. Has anybody ever looked at condition of vehicle and distracted driving. I sure am not a slow driver but my vehicles have no issue with road surface, just pay attention people.

agreed with above,

I just hope enough people get scared to death to use it and seek alternate routes, so the traffic congestion eases,

rush hour traffic is nasty on there.

I've never had a major issue on the RHVP, but I sure as hell can feel the difference when its wet, bike and car can get skiddish in a couple of corners and all the ramps. I've warned out of towners when the come to visit when its raining, esp on the ramps. This roads biggest issue is left lane hogs & those who refuse to carry some speed on a ramp and or apply throttle early enough get up to speed.

My son lives at RHP and Rymal -- taken RHP from QEW to Rymal a ton of times, never had a problem.

Your not not far off. The reported interim plan is to reduce the speed limit from its current 90 Km/h to 80 km/h with lots of police presence, until it’s resurfaced. Guess they are hoping to recoupe as much cash as possible to pay for the resurfacing. This may Prevent some of the accidents, but the bigger issue is the lack of merging space between on ramps and off ramps. Too many vehicles trying to crisscross into each other’s lanes.

Designed by the same imbecile who gave us the Sandalwood bottleneck on 410 in Brampton. I went to the consultation meetings for the 410 extension and tried to explain to the engineer that 410 needed to be three lanes all the way up to King Sideroad because 5 years after they finished it at 2 lanes it would be backed up. His response? "Well we can always go back and widen it..." as if the taxpayer is an endless source of wealth...then he says: "There are no developments planned for north of Mayfield road..." :roll:

I always thought the Red and the Link should have been 4-lanes, but back then Hamilton was lucky they got anything with Shiela Copps trying to stop the Red altogether to save the environment.

Back
Top Bottom