Commuting on a SS | GTAMotorcycle.com

Commuting on a SS

arogal

I commute to work 3/5 days during riding season from Burlington to Mississauga (80km round trip). I know that 600cc's like to be rev'd high as that's what they were made to do.
My question is, with sitting in stop and go traffic (can take up to an hour some days when I decide to be a good boy and not sneak in the HOV lane), does this put any strain/stress on the bike? I can see it being hard on the charging system...but other than that, is the bike not liking those riding conditions? The zx6r runs pretty cool (even on warm summer days) and the fan only goes of if I'm not moving/moving slowly for a couple minutes. I've had it stall out on me in cold conditions while in stop and go traffic/rolling to a stop (maybe because of the dense air+no movement).
Not too concerned by any means, but I thought I'd just throw the question out there.

Bike won't care - its liquid cooled so it will take care of the temperatures. You would be surprised how well most 600cc Japanese sport bikes ride in traffic. Since the powerband is so high they are basically like riding a scooter until you get it past 6-7k RPM.

I commute to work 3/5 days during riding season from Burlington to Mississauga (80km round trip). I know that 600cc's like to be rev'd high as that's what they were made to do.
My question is, with sitting in stop and go traffic (can take up to an hour some days when I decide to be a good boy and not sneak in the HOV lane), does this put any strain/stress on the bike? I can see it being hard on the charging system...but other than that, is the bike not liking those riding conditions? The zx6r runs pretty cool (even on warm summer days) and the fan only goes of if I'm not moving/moving slowly for a couple minutes. I've had it stall out on me in cold conditions while in stop and go traffic/rolling to a stop (maybe because of the dense air+no movement).
Not too concerned by any means, but I thought I'd just throw the question out there.

Bike won't care; run some engine ice coolant and see if you can get a ECU flash so they can lower the point at which the fans kick in. I've yet to see my R6 exceed 100 degrees C after the ECU flash, even in stop and go.

I will also bring up a separate point. If stop and go and commuting is the bulk of your riding, why not pick up something like an MT-09? Will be much more usable for the kind of riding you do. This video comes to mind...
[video=youtube;cYahwC4fcNk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYahwC4fcNk[/video]

no
if maintained properly
the engine is the last thing to worry about
on a modern Japanese motorcycle

You're fine. I put 25,000 onto my GSXR doing that from Markham to Mississauga, crashed it half a dozen times (literally) then turned it into a track bike, and it's still perfectly fine.

Just be anal with maintenance and pay attention to the details.

Bike won't care; run some engine ice coolant and see if you can get a ECU flash so they can lower the point at which the fans kick in. I've yet to see my R6 exceed 100 degrees C after the ECU flash, even in stop and go. I will also bring up a separate point. If stop and go and commuting is the bulk of your riding, why not pick up something like an MT-09? Will be much more usable for the kind of riding you do. This video comes to mind..
[video=youtube;cYahwC4fcNk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYahwC4fcNk[/video]
I have engine ice in my bike and got it tuned by Matt at Speedlab Performance last July....followed by new battery, rectifier, and stator in September. The highest I have seen my bike before the fan comes on it 103 degrees.
Like you mentioned in an earlier post, there's something about a SS that makes me feel at home. I have ridden family members and friends FZ09, Street Triple, Speed Triple, Z1000 and whenever I hop back on the SS it just puts a smile on my face. I do a ton of riding weekends as my inlaws live in Huntsville, so the fun with the SS up there pays off. The random stall here and there kinda confuses me. Maybe the tune for the bike (summer temperature & air density) plays a factor?

油井緋色;2602927 said:
You're fine. I put 25,000 onto my GSXR doing that from Markham to Mississauga, crashed it half a dozen times (literally) then turned it into a track bike, and it's still perfectly fine. Just be anal with maintenance and pay attention to the details.
Picked up the bike with 20k on it and since I've owned it its been well maintained. Can't say how the previous owner took care of it, but she is running very well atm. Valve check and a couple other little services once the weather clears up and I can ride it to SJPowersports in Woodbridge (they are great guys over there).

Last edited:
wan't it you awhile back, arogal
that said you were done with bikes?

not being judgmental, just thought maybe it was you
and you had decided to switch to cars instead?

Every ZX6R made will be 100% happy in traffic AFAIK, unless somebody has messed with it (e.g. heat discoloration on aftermarket exhaust, set to run stupidly rich at idle for some reason)

Like you mentioned in an earlier post, there's something about a SS that makes me feel at home. I have ridden family members and friends FZ09, Street Triple, Speed Triple, Z1000 and whenever I hop back on the SS it just puts a smile on my face. I do a ton of riding weekends as my inlaws live in Huntsville, so the fun with the SS up there pays off. The random stall here and there kinda confuses me. Maybe the tune for the bike (summer temperature & air density) plays a factor?

Yea, at the end of the day, logic can go out the window, we all ride because it's fun and we enjoy it. Ride whatever makes you happy :D
Weird about the stalling thing, I definitely would take it up to whoever did you tuning. Perhaps you need to adjust/sync the throttle bodies? Or maybe new spark plugs? I couldn't believe the difference new plugs made when I changed them on my bike! My throttle bodies also needed synchronizing after straight piping my exhaust.

Yea, at the end of the day, logic can go out the window, we all ride because it's fun and we enjoy it. Ride whatever makes you happy :D
Weird about the stalling thing, I definitely would take it up to whoever did you tuning. Perhaps you need to adjust/sync the throttle bodies? Or maybe new spark plugs? I couldn't believe the difference new plugs made when I changed them on my bike! My throttle bodies also needed synchronizing after straight piping my exhaust.
I will get the throttles looked at when I get my valve clearance service done. Did an oil Motul 7100 oil change day before tune, and Matt changed out my spark plugs and thew in a K&N filter on the spot immediately before he tuned the bike for me! It was definitely night and day difference with the plugs, filter, and proper tune. Didn't know how ****** the bike was running with the M4 and PCV base map until I rode away from speedlab with the biggest grin on my face. He also knows that I do commute on the bike often and wasn't too concerned about only making high numbers (which really are only for bragging rights LOL!). Rather he focused on making the AF ratio perfectly linear (dead straight after 4500rpm) and wanted it to run strong, which he succeeded at after about 18 runs on the dynojet.
no I remember that guy
had a string of bad luck
rear ended on his old cafe
then had a woopsie on his SS
this was a GSXR guy, had a lot of charging issue problems
no worries man, all good
Bike problems suck! There is always that piece of you that makes you feel somewhat accountable, when in reality the bike has a mind of its own LOL!
I have had my fare share of charging problems with the ZX6R myself, it't not fun. After replacing the charging system with OEM parts in Sept I hope she will be good to me this summer

Last edited:
I will get the throttles looked at when I get my valve clearance service done. Did an oil Motul 7100 oil change day before tune, and Matt changed out my spark plugs and thew in a K&N filter on the spot immediately before he tuned the bike for me! It was definitely night and day difference with the plugs, filter, and proper tune. Didn't know how ****** the bike was running with the M4 and PCV base map until I rode away from speedlab with the biggest grin on my face. He also knows that I do commute on the bike often and wasn't too concerned about only making high numbers (which really are only for bragging rights LOL!). Rather he focused on making the AF ratio perfectly linear (dead straight after 4500rpm) and wanted it to run strong, which he succeeded at after about 18 runs on the dynojet.

Bike problems suck! There is always that piece of you that makes you feel somewhat accountable, when in reality the bike has a mind of its own LOL!
I have had my fare share of charging problems with the ZX6R myself, it't not fun. After replacing the charging system with OEM parts in Sept I hope she will be good to me this summer

I paid $80 for my tune and basically told him "make it fast". 50,000km's later bike is still running top notch. I did the valves on it last winter, wasn't too bad of a job but everything looked mint inside. I attribute it to my oil. I swear by Rotella T6 oil on nearly everything I own. I even use it for cooking :D

I told myself if the R6 makes it to 100,000kms before I destroy it, I'll retire it as a decorative living room piece

I paid $80 for my tune and basically told him "make it fast". 50,000km's later bike is still running top notch. I did the valves on it last winter, wasn't too bad of a job but everything looked mint inside. I attribute it to my oil. I swear by Rotella T6 oil on nearly everything I own. I even use it for cooking :D

I told myself if the R6 makes it to 100,000kms before I destroy it, I'll retire it as a decorative living room piece

I knew of a guy with almost 100,000 on his 675. Very possible, just proper maintenance is key.

No strain at all on the bike, not sure how hot it runs just try and keep it cool. Years back I rode my cbr929rr to work for a whole season from Alliston to Scarborough 5 days a week, it was more hard on myself then bike. I installed a fan switch from a 1983 Nissan pulsar to my cbr and let the fan turn on a liitle sooner to keep bike cooler in traffic, bike has 110,xxxkm on it and still runs like a champ, only sees rotella T6 oil:headbang:

The bike will be fine. You, on the other hand, might be a different story. It all comes down to how comfortable (both physically and mentally) you'd be sitting in stop and go traffic. You'll never know until you try. For me, 45 minutes of never fully releasing the clutch lever gets old fast. If you have any kind of dress code at work, showing up with helmet hair, your clothes drenched in sweat, covered in bugs, or wrinkled from your riding suit might all be considerations too.

Easily doable, I used to commute on a SV650N, not an SS, though naked and 40mins-1hr a day. The only thing that got tiring quick was the no windshield on hwys, and the clutch was so stiff, my left hand was always sore.

Ride my 09 gsxr 600 from Pickering to YYZ every day in the summer along the 401 and haven't had an issue. Put my km on it in my 2 summers of ownership than the previous 7 years.
End of last summer I had the ecu tuned for smoother throttle and lower fan temps for the sake of my sack.
Still running like a champ.

The bike will be fine. You, on the other hand, might be a different story. It all comes down to how comfortable (both physically and mentally) you'd be sitting in stop and go traffic. You'll never know until you try. For me, 45 minutes of never fully releasing the clutch lever gets old fast. If you have any kind of dress code at work, showing up with helmet hair, your clothes drenched in sweat, covered in bugs, or wrinkled from your riding suit might all be considerations too.

I was very lucky that when I commuted on my bike (CB500F) I was in a job that appearances didn't matter! Construction work so was great as the shifts were at times when the highways were fairly good (6am and 2-3pm or so).

Then when I went back to an office project I kept a spare set of clothing at the office, and would arrive early enough (6am) to change into it, and the ride home sucked (3:30pm) due to traffic. Haven't tried the Rebel yet, but will do a few runs once it warms up to see how comfortable that is.

My previous bike, an FZ8S, was a rock when it came to engine cooling etc. Never had any issues with it.

My V4 Tuono OTOH, hates August heat and stop and go traffic; temp just keeps rising... Might be engine packaging or fan efficiency etc, but I4s seem to do pretty well in those conditions while V4s, L-twins etc get f**king hot.

Back
Top Bottom