Mishap with U-Haul bike trailer | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mishap with U-Haul bike trailer

Thanks, I just put a request on their site, I'll see what they say. I don't know of any bike salvage yards, and even so, I haven't seen many of these on the road for some reason.
Not sure if Bike Yard on Airport is still around....too lazy to Google it right now

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

There is also a salvage place Peterboro cycle I believe it's called. There is a place in North Bay, they deal primarily with ATV's, but they MIGHT have bike parts too Believe it is Bent toys

Thanks, I just put a request on their site, I'll see what they say. I don't know of any bike salvage yards, and even so, I haven't seen many of these on the road for some reason.

probably doesnt need to be said but if any of you back yard hacks decide to put a steel pry bar in a fuel tank and whack it with a steel hammer you might want to be sure that tank is empty and has been purged.
Tap, tap, tap, spark, kaboom.

probably doesnt need to be said but if any of you back yard hacks decide to put a steel pry bar in a fuel tank and whack it with a steel hammer you might want to be sure that tank is empty and has been purged.

Well that solves the dent problem. :)

If your going to be into it anyways I would do the orange instead of stock matte black. Might as well make it yours while you're at it.

I had a guy airbrush a tank for me years ago for an old bike. Tank was originally black but I as well had a small mishap that resulted in a large dent. I popped out the dent best I could and he finished it up with some bondo. When it was time for paint I was going to do stock black again but he said to trust him.

He sprayed the tank a bright silver, and then when that dried he mixed the clear coat with some black paint. He sprayed that on and with expert execution covered the silver with this black tinted clear coat. When it was dried the tank was black but with the deepest almost carbon fiber type effect as some of the silver base barely showed through. Super depth, looked an inch deep. Very cool.

How does that long winded story relate to your situation?. If you end up with a new tank I would urge you to try mixing some of that orange paint you were talking about and mix it with some clear and try a section on your old scrap tank and see if the results are interesting. I don't know if it would work as well with a dark base coat and lighter clear but what's to lose? Would be neat effect on new tank and fenders.
I am considering having the dent pdr'd and then finish up bodywork and get it sprayed. I used to do custom ricer body work back when fast and furious was about racing lol, so no stranger to bondo and finishing putty.

I have a set of pry bars that are curved, almost question mark like in shape. They are perfect for this. Down into the tank through the filler neck and then roll it back and gently work out the dent. No striking whatsoever. Gentle is the key, don't want to misshape the other side of the tank with the other side of the bar.

I'd say leave the dent - "scars are just tattoos with a better story" but poor loading/strapping isn't that great a story.

Back
Top Bottom