Can anyone recommend ethernet cable installer over 3 floors? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can anyone recommend ethernet cable installer over 3 floors?

Pistachio Nuts

We have a POS that needs to be wired over 3 floors via ethernet cables. Can anyone recommend someone?

We had it done by someone else, but they didn't do it as requested.

Anyway, we need this done ASAP. Please help!

Thanks, dudes!

PS-Or, is there a wireless option? It's being used with TouchBistro. Server is now located in the basement, b/c of the way the tech wired the ethernet cables (not what we wanted; supposed to be on ground floor). And, the 2nd floor doesn't appear to be wired at all! Printer doesn't work, even there's an ethernet input.

Last edited:
I don't think you want to try to run a POS over wireless across multiple floors. Also, it sounds like you need someone who understands networking in addition to a cable installer

As a starting point, i would try to map and test what the last guy did. Most ethernet problems are due to termination issues.
You could use wireless bridges to give you a wired drop at each location but ss Kestrel said, that wouldnt be my first choice in a commercial application.

As a starting point, i would try to map and test what the last guy did. Most ethernet problems are due to termination issues.
You could use wireless bridges to give you a wired drop at each location but ss Kestrel said, that wouldnt be my first choice in a commercial application.

Good point about testing! I actually was testing and setting it up last night. Spent a good 5+ hours trying out many different configurations. I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is. It's just trying to reconfigure the cables through floor, walls, and ceilings that is going to be the problem. Certainly not my expertise, and don't have the luxury of time now to figure it out myself.

The previous tenants had it setup, so there are existing ethernet cables running from the upstairs to main floor. However, the contractors have made them inaccessible. I need to either cut the existing ethernet cable and reattach another extension, or try to reconfigure their new ethernet system that they had set up, which is the problem. The new system is not what I asked for. I even gave them a diagram of how it should be wired! :roll:

I'm seeing the project manager today, and will let him know the issue. However, I need this solved by opening, which is this Thursday. TBH, I'd rather have someone else do it, b/c the guys that did it (they specialize more in installing security cameras) did it wrong the first time.

Last edited:
How about something like this?

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Powerline-Adapter-Starter-TL-PA4010KIT/dp/B00AWRUICG

I've been using an older model like it for 3 years with no problem. Well the only issue would be that it'll take up one outlet.

Hmmm, I'm not sure. Our system was to be wired like this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I96hyGraFrcJJw52VqR608wnoLisjmrb

Now, it's wired so the server (Airport Extreme) has to be in the basement. And, the upstairs (Floor 2) doesn't seem to be connected with either the Main floor or basement.

The simplest solution might be your range extender (haven't dealt with one before, tho), or to use the existing ethernet cable that already runs from the upstairs to the main floor. We'd keep the server in the basement (not ideal b/c of the signal has to go through 2 floors). However, that cable needs to be cut (on the main floor) and attached to a new cable that then needs to either be run through walls or run along the outside wall to our ethernet switch on the main floor.

Power lines are great. The new ones have minimal bandwidth loss and you dont lose an outlet as they have extras built in. The only issues with them are if your electric wiring is a bit weird.

Hmmm, I'm not sure. Our system was to be wired like this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I96hyGraFrcJJw52VqR608wnoLisjmrb

Now, it's wired so the server (Airport Extreme) has to be in the basement. And, the upstairs (Floor 2) doesn't seem to be connected with either the Main floor or basement.

The simplest solution might be your range extender (haven't dealt with one before, tho), or to use the existing ethernet cable that already runs from the upstairs to the main floor. We'd keep the server in the basement (not ideal b/c of the signal has to go through 2 floors). However, that cable needs to be cut (on the main floor) and attached to a new cable that then needs to either be run through walls or run along the outside wall to our ethernet switch on the main floor.

Cutting and extending ethernet cable (via twisting or soldering cables together) is destined for problems. Ethernet is finicky without proper termination. Since the basement and the main floor are linked via ethernet cable, you can run a cable from the main floor switch to the second floor switch and it will work. Obviously not ideal for the long term as a single point of failure has a larger impact, but entirely functional. To get you up on thursday, a wireless bridge should work if you need it too (it connects to the wireless network and provides ethernet jacks). I'd try to help, but I have too much going on this week.

How about something like this?

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-Powerline-Adapter-Starter-TL-PA4010KIT/dp/B00AWRUICG

I've been using an older model like it for 3 years with no problem. Well the only issue would be that it'll take up one outlet.

If this is for a business, there is no reason to use anything other than Ethernet over UTP, especially if the business is not open yet. Do it properly the first time, instead of chasing down transient problems over the next five years. Powerline networking is fine for homes... I guess it could work for a business? Greatly depends on wiring, electrical panels, etc. Seems like a bad idea to me. You REALLY want your POS to work in a restaurant, people aren't going to hang around forever if you can't run their card, and you don't really want them to return the meal

Cutting and extending ethernet cable (via twisting or soldering cables together) is destined for problems. Ethernet is finicky without proper termination. Since the basement and the main floor are linked via ethernet cable, you can run a cable from the main floor switch to the second floor switch and it will work. Obviously not ideal for the long term as a single point of failure has a larger impact, but entirely functional. To get you up on thursday, a wireless bridge should work if you need it too (it connects to the wireless network and provides ethernet jacks). I'd try to help, but I have too much going on this week.

Ok, thanks, GreyGhost. Will look into this wireless bridge. I'm assuming that's what moarmoto linked to. I've also contacted a cable installer to get a quote.

If this is for a business, there is no reason to use anything other than Ethernet over UTP, especially if the business is not open yet. Do it properly the first time, instead of chasing down transient problems over the next five years. Powerline networking is fine for homes... I guess it could work for a business? Greatly depends on wiring, electrical panels, etc. Seems like a bad idea to me. You REALLY want your POS to work in a restaurant, people aren't going to hang around forever if you can't run their card, and you don't really want them to return the meal

Yes, that's a good point, too! Guess getting a cable installer's the way to go. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to know. Thx everyone!

Oh, I somehow didn't read that it was for a business.

Yeah, it makes sense. Could always try until something you have it sorted.

You have cables going from basement to 1st and then another set from 1st to 2nd? Throw a router in between.

Back
Top Bottom