Motorcycle through front door? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle through front door?

schnellschnell

I wanted to get my bike in through my front door to do some maintenance over the winter. My bars are 33" across, but my door is 30". Soooo.... how hard is it to turn the bars and wiggle it through? Or even have two people lift the front (bike isn't too heavy) and muscle it through?

I'm asking since I'd have to build a small ramp up to the door so I can't just 'go try it' easily. Anyone have experience?

edit: I have a KTM Duke, so: wide bars. No clip ons unfortunately.

Last edited:
I wanted to get my bike in through my front door to do some maintenance over the winter. My bars are 33" across, but my door is 30". Soooo.... how hard is it to turn the bars and wiggle it through? Or even have two people lift the front (bike isn't too heavy) and muscle it through?

I'm asking since I'd have to build a small ramp up to the door so I can't just 'go try it' easily. Anyone have experience?

It would help to know what kind of bike you have. If it has clip ons, it should be a piece of cake to rotate the bars and squeeze it in!

bars turned to lock are not gonna be much narrower
you can check yourself with a tape measure

getting it stuck in the doorway would be a bad deal
be better off to unbolt the bars and have a few friends help you get it in the door

there is a little vertical gain as well but damn awkward. You should be able to do it depending on what is on the other side of door - if clearance on the both sides then much easier ...if clearance on one side you have to think it through as to which side to tilt and rotate.

Get one through you are fine.

You could loosen the bar entirely from the clamps but I think you can do it without that.

Two person job for sure

4 machine bolts on bar and risers. Remove and push her in with help. So simple.��

I bring bike inside through a man door all the time.
Small bikes are easy, the GS1000 is a little harder, but doable.
Handle bars are easy cuz they move, turn signals stick out further, and they break REAL easy.

There is about a dozen bikes in my front room.

I've gotten a BMW GS through a door 6" narrower than the bar width. Depending on how heavy the bike is, it helps if you have two people. You have to lift the front wheel, get one end through, pull the bike in and to the side so you can get the other end of the bar through. Straight it up and then you're good to push the rest of the bike in.

Handle bars are easy cuz they move, turn signals stick out further, and they break REAL easy.

Pictures please.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

your single right ?

Pictures please.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

your single right ?

I third the pictures request, and will share a couple of my own. These pics are all older than two years as after I got married and sold my man cave and shared new house with new wife, one of the new rules was no motorcycles in the house.

A couple things to keep in mind. Best done with one or two friends outside pushing, and at least one inside to help with handlebar hurdles. I used to get the Nighthawk S in and CB900F on my own, barely. At top of ramp you cannot touch with feet, miscalculate and you will kiss the wall without blocks to put feet on. Steel ramps can have you spin and drift rear tire off ramp, came close a couple times. Riding a bike into your front door tends to bring the neighbors out in droves to watch, they are not rooting for you, you have become entertainment. When I got my XR1200, bars were too wide to get in without help, just not possible. That is when I found how much safer it is to do this with at least 4 people including yourself. Also, check with your house insurance for problems this may cause, that is why I always removed my gas tank after getting it in the house.

Last pic is XR1200 on its way out in the spring. Notice the black protrusion from wall to left of bike. Mounting a remote control electric winch to your dining room wall does not work near as well as a few buddies to push, and will not have a beer with you afterwards.

17wj441fpZbWfCXWAgYsLwMnEhRiurAtDJD7oi0g4lXicJIVzr9IlIJbj5KQAaYqvIc3mCZkSj6PqnI7tMYDCMogBlB2bD9SZsxb8kvFHMsHlxg-_8qMts9rbn3jWMNiYTdYdpWDi92iTE_Ab1kihiQyi9MWAnLCRqb1tvFGxZGTpomd500zvLqfurZ_Mswqg1vOq4kPnz3xVIWpEv8oX_J8W9cYIDXqyqW8cUFJ4hJQtXI7tHQotOEKecExL1rjjz38uDBveCnSYQWH03o__NR4jF0pP4iJtjJpsRxK27xdbrk8NB3B2joLbakcYViq0S56s9HhKCZhIuF4MkaW7b1vxADSQ7PsaId4NvkuCedhTm3ubita-tuTV6xNbcPo4JulneoY1v23_rbbFsb-Y8FaVQshXe8xnBMQIDAVp5XFjZscTHGPtu9UQb99todJbI-W1Oy1YHo7FpTIL96JkxGREUZ5zr-vjd0gj1g1JLC2DWkqHbuU5zruBxaOHSCFmJEQp2XH8SVQBdbaM7sR7lVnyi-msB0-JK_6ItTWWH2ErqTZ5V2eATt7ImpiWbtqXqk7NOZWL7k_gE5pgrRl5jQ_ICbH7tjFDlR7pSN4g1FA4HrQTSA8KP1hzNjFEEyf0uwjUcvRX5Sfyt7TX4xJGYPmoSwYkvs=w796-h597-no

PF7K677lq4msdKpt73wK4-FMOjR3Y9Sz_-H9i0BpNtG4-a9t4ZkXaZg63SPJtifM4c-Tpxob7TNib_hNXzErZpAiGCIBB2EHvn4lWNPD7p6QjVUq40ZQUtYlFdky5eMIDWuuoBgnSJfi8SS1TOujCnIw8qCRXGPI0_sv2EFdjEqqFfyKJXl487mw67OZrD_GHP6hH-Y5yTBYIviOxlPvQk2Bj7TtDV61EdFXfPpIwlDaTt-57XZ-CxKjWjWESJ5gQvszjaRscpPsC4lmtuWiu6mDukk0Vo9PeMBtvvmbGhet0CcVnkDSLvwXEvFzbBnniY2n8GeaHwtTAFR9Z5sGgFABt4noy3datIkoCKDXEceoAul4ZnKWHJ0zl54cNZyzxJ8MYa0fNXbze47oFZ0EJLCJLDMPGbvpvITFEB7exJZQKzx9VIFuJDRkKZ9eK_w4kD5x07or_1DWL0O6rlCMF4La_DkDK53Y2OlR_dz1sBHwkZGuA6yJtB-GaUnmpcEkLpIXfGnlmIiVJJ_3hdSpYNoLGpxPt5BnXcbs43PmBy9q91_DbwprI7-MJ8hSFyfznFp0nEHpgLua37drde-qXaPH_moMWGhBBtc9GCzGyJOH1ZiMqVBc8G47sy1NvYT6RUn5hvRf7R5xIcSFVfVc4pbnL8sY458=w796-h597-no

OUVtQm0i0RsrAwUuh0GurGphfi84oDQTMe9X1OCCXLIdOXXyhUDExbzfJbwgoAITZvjPfUJwnL1o1ln5CLBbpW0zfiUHOBMJU8lshm-3DjUvheRThAbDeTRsa1Iry_NVrIt_8kjiQ6W0U28HjVOFGyl-CgUxEPtASI_iPo13dCU64Cf7VUFSXBpnPYgP01mp763OcMZqlYSfd_xXk3gC4JMpcgbmfZOd7nUPSOMvJECp_Bf6Fs-5J6dLN5F76eL0NwK07o7kEvZZZyIUheaRoDbt5QFNhK-ssL83Xj-LzXCs223D208DKTAZk0YliMSHqI37kIWBSl48Y1-grXTioYzWu998aK9nHZPG4jOC0BZLSsRrYGg75LEgJe37M0mVQlZQ-21iDocCMOuWFA9ep9n7Pj-jc2-zb0VhMX9lcejR7uImDT8wZLsZCVxISGmTSkXHYsHo_IcpWiWnzp_XQP9FbvGH8atHQHju8BCwbtE2ma4TjIF5mLwBnqles_yYJvdWYbe-IaTXKkpWQTo3zH7B2Sr9tc-AquiUD6G9bRkZI3Xn1AbHW9XBjQQnqm33NjW-09dL7_5EKsAAnOqHJeabRi0Jp6vWJFDD9K4_NaArihn3iHvj2frLjd7Sd_H-ItOxUlBnlyw2eGt689VoiQBP93g2rTA=w796-h597-no

b6ANFirLhu3h-24pP-not4H95gfMbnyCBgvs7KQmurzlZTkpzMLm75O1yQOD4heLspzErkV8jh1hqiQUgVToMMlzbNfLUr4vpNwURf8_UTMprDMBimaxg0CP5LbGQ6paGlxeUxGzGLh7iLs-dC9D1Zp4Nt70SNXv_un8GwvncK3EhjUhbrSoF2pfSnZE-iZQH2NnTPZjFj8JBXDViboUcTlFrPmj5mAbfkP5Lnlep0l8dHNEDgEJkHK2Uv9VwSAnV_O53bEhaZhK8bKOSoK7ISRE-tXc94FZ6j54bW08mdb5sSD-T2gSx6hUvZt3fSe145WU4p_OdSMzhoCV6hhvtubd1QXja7FNLW-dSHrIu_SeKnh_JLrO7tVy5gVxEdcMNXfpPxpOJ_J9QfBATd4UczQsbl7GS4poblgjfKbAoH6Oc_17XmEwRkhBhOZUh6IuYXtvsEAOoJ_qbMq-MciOgBbYRL8pmIMFdmKeGAnvAHra0TLjMbvYbaDXUnUMPh7uR1PkhDvZAsWrWvV8yow57tnYjzNuIKv1GY8aFd2hUFx1oZeT8mgji6YKicrQt4tU8i7gvwCaac0q2x4Yg-WauNFH5J8XyLwO5fynHRe8JoL5eqLeSbFteNi_bWHtoYM96DFiRmlS3AMlHCMg5Nb3h1kcAVY8VF0=w338-h597-no

Last edited:
I'll play the part of wet blanket and remind folks here that most, if not all home-owner's insurance and renter's insurance policies would be voided by storing a motorcycle (or any combustion engine) inside the living quarters of the home. It has to do with fire/carbon monoxide risks. Garages that are attached to the house have to have special barriers in the wall and solid doors to prevent exhaust fumes from getting into the house.

I'm sure it's cool to have your bike parked in the living room but I wouldn't risk my life or everything I owned just to do it.

I'll play the part of wet blanket and remind folks here that most, if not all home-owner's insurance and renter's insurance policies would be voided by storing a motorcycle (or any combustion engine) inside the living quarters of the home. It has to do with fire/carbon monoxide risks. Garages that are attached to the house have to have special barriers in the wall and solid doors to prevent exhaust fumes from getting into the house.

I'm sure it's cool to have your bike parked in the living room but I wouldn't risk my life or everything I owned just to do it.

That's why someone commented above about pulling the gas tank off. It's hard for insurance to bend you over if the tank isn't in the house. If it is still on the bike, trying to fight with them over whether it was empty is probably a losing battle.

I get that. It isn't to be cool in my living room, thanks. I have a small unheated addition on the back porch that is outside of my main brick wall, so I can wrench on a few things under a roof. And I was going to remove the fuel tank. But fair point, I'll check with my insurance first. Though as I recall last time they came by for a quote it wasn't even considered 'living space'.

Each year I store my dirt bike in a cabin up north. The door is also 30" and bars 3 to 4" longer. I can't believe I need to explain this.

1. Walk the bike to the door threshold
2. Open the door
3. Turn the front wheel slightly in one direction or the other depending on what side the door is hung, or the front porch or screen door is situated
4. Move slightly inside the door threshold.
5. Dip the side of the handlebar down (you need to tilt the bike down to that side) and then move it inside behind the inside wall adjacent to the door frame.
6. Then tilt the bike the opposite way and turn the front wheel accordingly.
7. Move the rest of the bike inside.
8. (optional) Sit down and have a beer or other drink to calm your nerves.

Last edited:
Disassemble ENTIRE bike and reassemble inside.
Reverse process in spring to get it back out.

Or whatever you think is best... :D

Back
Top Bottom