German MotoGP travel/Accommodation questions | GTAMotorcycle.com

German MotoGP travel/Accommodation questions

tat2

Site Supporter
My wife & are are travelling to Germany for the GP race this summer and have a few questions.
We are flying over and using train/car rental to get around.

1) Camping recommendation(s)?
2) If staying in hotels, how is the public transport Train etc for getting to race from surrounding towns?

Any other tips for us? My brain is fried from google searches right now and I, not finding a lot of answers.

Thanks in advance.

Sachsenring?

With 100,000 people wanting to be there, everything anywhere close to the track is sure to either book solid or be really, really expensive!

Public transportation in Germany is generally excellent. It appears that the closest train station is about 15 km away, it appears that there is a bus from there to the track. I have no feel for how full those transit routes would be with 100,000 people trying to get into the track. Obviously not all 100,000 will want to be on that bus but it will probably be a lot of them!

Google Maps suggests that there is a campground practically across the river from the track, within walking distance, and you can bet that it will be party central during MotoGP weekend, and that it will fill up fast. If you want to do that, best to track them down to see if anything is available. (Check Google Streetview ... those fields are full of campers, and partiers!)

If that doesn't work, I'd be tempted to rent a motorcycle in Germany and ride that to the track, especially if you can't find any accommodation close by.

I'm going to be in Australia the week after MotoGP and had thoughts of flying there early and going to MotoGP, until I tried to find accommodations. That put an end to that thought. Perhaps the situation in Germany is a bit better; Phillip Island isn't very big and there's only one road in and out of there from Melbourne. At least in Germany the people can be dispersed in multiple directions.

Update this with your findings!

Germans play as hard as they work
that campground looks like fun - Ankerberg
don't imagine there'd be much opportunity to sleep though

[video=youtube;-DsYN_WRDTM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DsYN_WRDTM[/video]

that would be a great trip to the race

Yep Sachsenring. We ended up reserving with a different campsite that is next to that larger camp ground Javafan has posted about. They say 200m to track entrance. 120euro for the weekend. We thought about staying in a town nearby but most hotels are booked or $$$ and relying on local transit or driving in with those crowds was not a risk want to take. Were renting a car mainly to have a place to lock our belongings in when there, same as we did a few years ago when we camped for the GP race in Aragon, lots of drinking & bikes bouncing off rev limiters Saturday night. We were fine there. We are also car camping at the track for the Dutch GP in Assen the week before.

It's a running joke with my wife & I now, we look to go back to Austin to see the races, we haven't been since its first year. However when we look at time to drive there & back or airline tickets it's not much more to hit Europe & see different tracks.

Sounds like an awesome plan. Don't expect to get much sleep, and take pics!

OP it sounds like you have camping sorted. If you change your mind and can't locate a hotel in Hohenstein you should be able to get a room in Chemnitz. It's an easy drive. Take the back roads.

Get a car in Germany. You can get anywhere very quickly for obvious reasons.

If you're out that way be sure to check out Dresden as well - beautiful town. Also head over to Prague if you're down for a drive.

Turn 12 is a nice place to sit.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom