Are Supersports Over? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are Supersports Over?

my reply to your insurance ending the ss era argument still stands, if the only issue was insurance most riders over the age of 35 would all be on ss bikes, no?

Genuinely curious, what do you think is the reason for SS decline, if not insurance?

I believe insurance is the main factor. And I also believe that around that 35ish age is when people either lose interest and gravitate towards other, more comfortable bike segments and/or just can't handle the riding position due to age. In the GTA, it's near impossible to own a SS for someone under 30 years old. Only one way left is to be licensed for 6+ years, otherwise have to be at least 30. SSs mostly tend to attract the younger crowd, majority of whom can't afford insurance.

Genuinely curious, what do you think is the reason for SS decline, if not insurance?

I believe insurance is the main factor. And I also believe that around that 35ish age is when people either lose interest and gravitate towards other, more comfortable bike segments and/or just can't handle the riding position due to age. In the GTA, it's near impossible to own a SS for someone under 30 years old. Only one way left is to be licensed for 6+ years, otherwise have to be at least 30. SSs mostly tend to attract the younger crowd, majority of whom can't afford insurance.

because manufacturers are offering better alternatives, and people are getting smarter, also Vanilla Ice is no longer rocking a gsxr 1100 in his videos (thank god for that)

I believe there are a number of reasons for the decline of the supersport class of motorcycle.The main one being that their purpose has become so narrowly focused. They are not designed to be ridden in the real world of potholes and rough rough roads, thats why all road tests and reviews you read are done on racetracks where they excel. Ergonomics are great if your a twelve year old gymnast,they have minimal protection from the elements, neither of which offer any advantage until your closing in on 100mph plus.Love looking at them but would never own one.

Last edited:

They optimized their racetrack performance such that they became irrelevant on the street. Add to that, the 600 class is regarded in some circles as entry-level, and it's price sensitive. Can't do the specialty niche-market models that will sell at a premium price in small numbers and still make money.

A 2018 Yamaha R6 is for practical purposes a styling-makeover of a 2006 R6. To be honest it's an awful street bike. It's uncomfortable, it runs hot in traffic, it's revving below where it makes power, the suspension is too harsh for dealing with real world bumps. Then there's the FZ07/FZ09 (take your pick) in the same showroom, which are excellent street bikes. For that matter the R3 is an excellent street bike and in a world of 100 km/h speed limits (here and in Japan) and speed cameras everywhere (in Europe, for example) and brutal traffic (any big city), it's all you really need. And they cost less, and they cost less for the manufacturer to build.

Somewhere in the manual I'm sure I read the key to dealing with the harsh rear suspension is to ride it on the rear wheel more and treat bumps as an opportunity to familiarize yourself with the bikes refined airborne capabilities.
Although it was written in Italian so it might have said something completely different then that.

I believe insurance is the main factor. And I also believe that around that 35ish age is when people either lose interest and gravitate towards other, more comfortable bike segments and/or just can't handle the riding position due to age.

Don't know why I am responding to this but ...this is my 2nd year owning an SS and I am doing more back extensions and cardio in the gym than ever before to make sure I am fit for riding the bike. I turn 35 this year and have booked my FAST training this yeae. I do not see my age restricting me riding an SS.I mean look at Rossi...

Point is those who want to ride SS, will.

But I'm not sure if my post was relevant to the topic at hand..

Dude I agree, people getting older have so many good options these days compared to an SS so they don't bother. Like that 150 hp ST mentioned earlier.
But those under 30 don't really got a shot at even trying the whole SS thing in the first place, Insurance makes sure of that. If these guys can't get them, who will? Hence the decline in the Ontario SS scene.

Dude I agree, people getting older have so many good options these days compared to an SS so they don't bother. Like that 150 hp ST mentioned earlier.
But those under 30 don't really got a shot at even trying the whole SS thing in the first place, Insurance makes sure of that. If these guys can't get them, who will? Hence the decline in the Ontario SS scene.

They are just riding dirty sadly.

Back
Top Bottom