Are Supersports Over? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are Supersports Over?

The insurance screws it for the younger crowd, and around the GTA there is nothing but lame riding roads anyway. So what happens is that the younger crowd that want it, can't get it and the old crowd who can get good rates are just no longer physically fit for em especially when they have to drive hours out to find some twisties. Hence SS on the decline in ON... In other places they are very much alive though despite what people here say. A car does all the boring regular commuter stuff, I'd prefer to have an SS for the few months we get here.
Not always a physical issue. Many guys like me who have gotten our speed fix on track or in the dirt after being tired of riding a fast bike slow on the street. We move on to other fun street rides instead of SS bikes.

Millenials on Liter bikes doesn't add up. Perhaps that's what's happened...there's no men left.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

I ride a SS on the street, in the summer its my primary vehicle, i just take the truck as a weekend family mover or the jeep to get groceries mid week.

i do want to go back to a cruiser but i wont be selling my 600rr any time soon.
insurance is cheap, im paying under 600 a year full coverage on mine.

Its a dying breed for sure in the GTA, but elsewhere in the world especially down in south US, its alive and well

Honda is the only brand I recall that got rid of the 600, everyone else is still pumping out 600+cc

2019 models are up for sale, no major changes just lighter but rumors of it being redesigned soon.

Do insurance companies even know what a super sport is? I thought they had just a general sport bike category. When i was calling around for quotes on a Ninja 650 a few years ago I was getting higher quotes than what I ended up paying for my gixxer 600 because they were both sport bikes but the ninja had more cc's. I don't know if things have changed since then.

Do insurance companies even know what a super sport is? I thought they had just a general sport bike category. When i was calling around for quotes on a Ninja 650 a few years ago I was getting higher quotes than what I ended up paying for my gixxer 600 because they were both sport bikes but the ninja had more cc's. I don't know if things have changed since then.
Depends on the insurer. Some go by CCs among other factors, others actually understand the difference between cruisers vs sport touring vs supersports.

But almost all insurers have a surcharge for "sport bikes". This may include STs, and most definately SS.

Example: TD goes by CC. Allstate goes by bike category among other things.
TD was pricing my 650 ST close to the premium of a 600 SS. Intact was almost $1000 cheaper per year.

Depends on the insurer. Some go by CCs among other factors, others actually understand the difference between cruisers vs sport touring vs supersports.

But almost all insurers have a surcharge for "sport bikes". This may include STs, and most definately SS.

Example: TD goes by CC. Allstate goes by bike category among other things.
TD was pricing my 650 ST close to the premium of a 600 SS. Intact was almost $1000 cheaper let year.
TD was actually one of the only companies that would insure me on a 600CC SS. The majority of insurance companies wont even consider insuring you on a SS unless you have 5+years continuous coverage under your belt with a Motorcycle. Age plays a huge factory also, if you are 30+ TD's rates for a SS literally gets cut in half.
We get screwed in the GTA....it's not that expensive across entire country. My cousin lives in Calgary and is 17 (been riding dirt since he was 6) and is paying $850 a year full coverage on a 600rr.
I see tons of SS on the roads in the Halton region, but am definitely seeing more and more naked bikes, FZ07s and FZ09s in particular. But damn, I find an FZ09 to be a much less forgiving bike than any 600cc SS.

That's what I'm saying, they don't differentiate between supersports and "regular" sport bikes. At least they didn't when I was getting quotes.

I'm still looking forward to owning an SS at some point in time in my life (38yo). Was tossing it out there last season when I went with the Rebel 500 but the insurance on a 600RR wasn't much different...maybe $80-120/year. I enjoy the Rebel for the short time I've had it, but one day I might have 2 bikes in the garage (if I have the space). Might buy an SS just for a year to get it out of my system but I enjoy the longer rides and I'm not sure the Rebel is the winner there either.

That's what I'm saying, they don't differentiate between supersports and "regular" sport bikes. At least they didn't when I was getting quotes.
I think that again depends on the insurer. Bottomline, if you own a regular sport bike (aka sport touring aka street bike) you're likely better off going with an insurer that rates according to motorcycle category as opposed to cc. Even though all sport bikes have a surcharge, it won't be close to what SS get surcharged at.

Example is in my previous response. TD vs Intact. If I were to insure my ST with TD, then yes, no difference between ST and SS because TD surcharges it the same. But there are other insurers that don't, like intact. Even though all sport bikes may be surcharged, some insurers don't surcharge it as bad as SSs.

TD was actually one of the only companies that would insure me on a 600CC SS. The majority of insurance companies wont even consider insuring you on a SS unless you have 5+years continuous coverage under your belt with a Motorcycle. Age plays a huge factory also, if you are 30+ TD's rates for a SS literally gets cut in half.
We get screwed in the GTA....it's not that expensive across entire country. My cousin lives in Calgary and is 17 (been riding dirt since he was 6) and is paying $850 a year full coverage on a 600rr.
I see tons of SS on the roads in the Halton region, but am definitely seeing more and more naked bikes, FZ07s and FZ09s in particular. But damn, I find an FZ09 to be a much less forgiving bike than any 600cc SS.

Yeah, gotta respect TD for that. Rates do get cut in half after 30, which is why I'm considering moving everything to TD, including my SS this year, if Allstate jacks up my rates. Only thing I would miss is not being able to pay using my credit card, and the fact that TD collects motorcycle premium over 6 months rather than 12 is a pain.

I think if you're licensed for 6+ years from M2, then a standalone motorcycle policy with Wawanesa is the best bet for SSs.

Last edited:
high cost of insurance in Ontario is slowly killing the segment , sadly :(

Yeah, gotta respect TD for that. Rates do get cut in half after 30, which is why I'm considering moving everything to TD, including my SS this year, if Allstate jacks up my rates. Only thing I would miss is not being able to pay using my credit card, and the fact that TD collects motorcycle premium over 6 months rather than 12 is a pain.

I think if you're licensed for 6+ years from M2, then a standalone motorcycle policy with Wawanesa is the best bet for SSs.

I've been insured with TD for many years now (SF and Dalton Timmis for a year here and there) and have always paid either a full year up front, or monthly over 12 months for motorcycle insurance. Never had them tell me 6 months premium collection.

I've been insured with TD for many years now (SF and Dalton Timmis for a year here and there) and have always paid either a full year up front, or monthly over 12 months for motorcycle insurance. Never had them tell me 6 months premium collection.
That's odd. Every time I quote with them, they tell my about the 6 month thing, and my payment amount is also double. I'll clarify next time I call them. Thanks for the info

TD now does it over a 7 month period. If you are paying $700/yr you will see $100 taken out of your bank from March till September.
When I was with Intact I paid over a 12 month period. I prefer paying more over a 7 month period than on a monthly basis :)
I just went online and checked out my TD insurance info and you are able to pay the whole year at once (unfortunately no discount). But they will debit your bank rather than let you use a credit card because if you use credit they are out the 2-3% service fee that VISA and MASTERCARD charge their merchants.

Last edited:
TD now does it over a 7 month period. If you are paying $700/yr you will see $100 taken out of your bank from March till September.
When I was with Intact I paid over a 12 month period. I prefer paying more over a 7 month period than on a monthly basis :)
I just went online and checked out my TD insurance info and you are able to pay the whole year at once (unfortunately no discount). But they will debit your bank rather than let you use a credit card because if you use credit they are out the 2-3% service fee that VISA and MASTERCARD charge their merchants.
Wish I could afford to pay upfront lol .. paying with credit card is great. Free credit card points. I don't believe Allstate charges its clients that 2-3% service fee, but could be wrong.
I don't see anything on my policy about it either.

Wish I could afford to pay upfront lol .. paying with credit card is great. Free credit card points. I don't believe Allstate charges its clients that 2-3% service fee, but could be wrong.
I don't see anything on my policy about it either.

They do, but you need to factor in the 1-2% cash back/credit points you receive and the ~1.5% yearly depreciation in cash value vs paying per month. Its pretty close to a wash.

They do, but you need to factor in the 1-2% cash back/credit points you receive and the ~1.5% yearly depreciation in cash value vs paying per month. Its pretty close to a wash.
Ah I should pay closer attention to these details. That sucks

I've been with Td for all my insurance since 2010. I like the 7 payment setup as winter usually involves a layoff for me.
I also have the disappearing deductible, I'm down to 300.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I just moved everything out of TD , cars , house, bikes. They had a killer introductory price two yrs ago, renewal comes around and its up $2000. overall for the 'package' . Cited previous discounts are no longer available. Bye bye.

There is a lid for every pot.

Back
Top Bottom