Are Supersports Over? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are Supersports Over?

taking a break
segment didn't really exist until the mid 80's
when they were called repli-racers

with declining discretionary income for the middle class
not too many average riders are looking for that kind of performance
or like mentioned, pay through the nose for insurance

I find its usually older people with disposable income that get their licenses later in life. They are usually the Harley/cruiser crowd.

Millenials seem to be less interested in bikes; and broke.

Been teaching m1x for 13 years. This has been the trend I have noticed, at least in the Shwiggity.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

i've been saying for years that these bikes are useless for the street, the public is coming to the same conclusion

i've been saying for years that these bikes are useless for the street, the public is coming to the same conclusion
I respectfully disagree. Insurance is the reason for SS decline. "Useless" is subjective. Personally, I enjoy riding it more than my ST. Maybe I'll get bored of it in a few years but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I got bored of my ST in 1 year.

Just my opinion.

Supersports are alive and well in the GTA, if the Thursday night L&L meetups are any indication once riding season is in full swing.

As long as motorsports exist (MotoGP, WSBK, Formula 1, ... et al) and enthusiasts who are passionate about racing and performance-oriented design, supersports and their spirit will endure.

Unparalleled power to weight, breathtaking acceleration cornering and braking agility. Supersports embody all that is pure and captivating about motorcycles.
Not everyone wants (or needs) plush La-Z-Boy recliner comfort or the utility of a 5-door split-folding seat minivan with 6 cup-holders sandwiched into their ride.

It's their inherent impracticality: typically cramped ergonomics, lack of storage amenities, the fact they're more at home on the track —all attributes that make them so appealing. They're exciting and dangerous in the wrong hands.

It makes absolutely no sense and that's precisely the point.

Long live supersports.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

In Canada, motorcycles don't make sense. So as rr said, as long as it's insurable, my sportbike is on the road.

Has the era ended or just taking a break?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

I say it's on the verge of ending. Enough people have had mishaps that they are becoming blacklisted and insurance is sky rocketing. Unless there is a sizable overhaul of the insurance structure people will eventually move to naked and street RR's will become the track toys they should be.

But they do look cool!

I still ride the rockets and always will. Is a corvette a good commuter car? Not really but it is fun. My insurance is under a grand a year.

Swapped my tuono for my buddies rsv4 during a ride this past season. My wrists were hurting after 15 minutes... I have 95% of the performance his bike has, and mine is much more street-able.

I love supersports, but for the real world, nakeds are great.

Not saying anyone should ditch their SS for a cruiser. For me, the whole point of riding is corners. Every cruiser I have ridden has nowhere near the ground clearance I require. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

They're dying as a breed. It's not just insurance or Ontario. Big manufacturers are getting out of that game. It doesn't make sense to Euro4 or Euro5 a bike that might sell a hundred units. Litre SS bikes look here to stay for a bit but I suspect they'll be next.

Just like sedans are dying (and car makers are getting out them) due to popularity of the various "_UV" (insert letter of your choice), SS bikes are being replaced by the SUVs of the motorcycle world: adventure bikes and cruiser-like machines.

Just like sedans are dying (and car makers are getting out them) due to popularity of the various "_UV" (insert letter of your choice), SS bikes are being replaced by the SUVs of the motorcycle world: adventure bikes and cruiser-like machines.

I think its mostly the buyers demographic that is changing. Younger riders can't afford it. Older riders want something less back breaking.

Blackfin, You and I have the right idea. Tuono ticks all my boxes.

I got rid of my SS last year in favor of an ADV and ST.

The adv is great as a city bike and tours fine -- modern ADV's are remarkably quick through turns -- they're not your father's XR650 enduro. The ST has decent performance and is almost as much fun, way more comfortable (except for heat), and about 30% less to insure.

Its a dying breed for sure in the GTA, but elsewhere in the world especially down in south US, its alive and well

Honda is the only brand I recall that got rid of the 600, everyone else is still pumping out 600+cc

Its a dying breed for sure in the GTA, but elsewhere in the world especially down in south US, its alive and well

If insurance was more affordable I would probably have a SS in the garage as well as my naked bike. But as it’s not, I’ll just go with the bike I ride the most.

I think the manufacturers are adapting to sport focus street use. For example I just recently purchased a Ducati Supersport. It has the looks of a Panigali , although not the same high level performance. But it s alot more street focused , reasonably comfortable, approx. Same level of performance as 600 - 750 SS. It has all the high end suspension , braking, electronics. So I wouldn't necessarily say the era of supersports are over. I think we will see more bikes that still offer the same level of performance one would expect out of a super sport but also be more practical for daily street type riding while also be able to take that same bike to track day if you wanted to.

Back
Top Bottom