USB Handlebar Device | GTAMotorcycle.com

USB Handlebar Device

MHY

I recently attached a USB device to my handlebars so I can plug in a GPS or cell phone etc. to keep it powered up when riding. I connected the device directly to the battery. The device has no on/off switch nor any kind of light at all. My question is, when the bike is off and nothing is plugged into the USB outlet will it drain power from the battery regardless.

I believe it is possible to test a USB port for voltage with a multi-meter. My best guess is that if there is nothing plugged into the USB its not really going to be a parasitic draw. I think it would be basically the same thing as having a quick-connect cable for a battery tender hooked up.

Yes it most likely will drain. Its a converter and is probably working whether anything is plugged into it or not. Mine has an on/off switch, probably for that reason

Yes it most likely will drain. Its a converter and is probably working whether anything is plugged into it or not. Mine has an on/off switch, probably for that reason

Right answer.

If you are riding your bike regularly, it probably isn't an issue, but if you park for a week or more I wouldn't be surprised if it caused problems. Why wire it direct to the battery? For a low draw device like that, I normally steal power from a switched circuit (often the tail light as it is on whenever the bike is running but you can choose what works best for you). If I am farkling up a bike, biting the bullet and installing a power distribution block that allows you to have switched and unswitched circuits quickly becomes worth it, but if the only thing you are adding is a USB plug it isn't worth the time or expense.

Yes it will. A USB socket provides 5Vdc to your device. That socket is as mentioned a converter, taking your bike's 12Vdc and converting it down to the 5Vdc. That takes some circuitry and requires some current, albeit a miniscule amount to power the circuit.

Whether that small amount of current would drain your battery enough to cause you problems is doubtful over a short time-frame. Most USB sockets should be connected to some switched and fused circuit. Where the power is off when the ignition is off of the bike is not running.

I believe it is possible to test a USB port for voltage with a multi-meter. My best guess is that if there is nothing plugged into the USB its not really going to be a parasitic draw. I think it would be basically the same thing as having a quick-connect cable for a battery tender hooked up.

Not quite. Crankcall has it right. It is an active 12V to 5V converter in there. It's not just a plain wire like a battery tender cable. Now depending on how good they were with the circuit design, the draw could be tiny (or it could be quite large if they really suck/didn't care).

I installed such a device and went through 3 batteries before I realized that by not having an on/off switch means that there is a slight parasitic draw. My next project is doing just that; installing an on/off switch. Note that the draw on the battery is so small, daily riding will keep the battery topped up enough to start the bike. But if not riding for say two weeks, the battery likely won't turn over the engine.

Last edited:
best way to install some of these things is through a relay
use a 12V switched wire from a tail light or other circuit
draws mili-amps to turn the relay on

and like GG says, you can power up an aux distribution block from the relay
main power to the relay or distribution block to run the auxiliary devices is direct from battery

this way everything is off while the key is out
and you don't have to worry about overloading an OEM circuit running after-market stuff

Thank you for the replies and insight. You gave me the answer I was looking for.

I wired a new fused circuit from the battery to a waterproof cigarette lighter. When not in use its an open circuit and you can run many devices with appropriate adapters.

So what about the devices that actually have a on/off switch built in. How is that draw if any?

So what about the devices that actually have a on/off switch built in. How is that draw if any?

It depends on the type of switch. If it's a physical switch that breaks a circuit you should be fine. If it's a logic switch that turns the converter off, it will use less power than leaving it powered up but will likely still have some draw as it has to pay attention to catch the button press to turn it back on.

mine has a power switch that kills it dead, however you do have to remember to turn off the switch so connected to a circuit that powers up with ignition may be the safer choice.

I've been scouring youtube to find a how to video. I am a noob when it comes to diy and would love to learn how to do what you had mentioned in a previous post.

This knowledge would come in handy- since my next motorcycle would need the following to be installed 1. USB Charger 2. Battery tender and 3. Heated Grips.

I know the battery tender is straight forward- but I would definitely want to install the USB charger and Heated grips via relay to make sure it wouldn't drain the battery.

I've been scouring youtube to find a how to video. I am a noob when it comes to diy and would love to learn how to do what you had mentioned in a previous post.

This knowledge would come in handy- since my next motorcycle would need the following to be installed 1. USB Charger 2. Battery tender and 3. Heated Grips.

I know the battery tender is straight forward- but I would definitely want to install the USB charger and Heated grips via relay to make sure it wouldn't drain the battery.

the installation is bike specific
if you're serious about this
shoot me a PM with the details and I'll help you out
with what you need to buy and how to install and wire it up

lol That would be one way to keep the heated grips half hot. Naw, it's wired to the running light line. Front signals come on with the bike, so that line is always powered when bike is on.

Back
Top Bottom