USB Handlebar Device | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

USB Handlebar Device

'Simple way to power something as light duty as a USB port

qyy8bb.jpg

Rather than splicing wires just locate a switched fuse and use the piggyback to power right from the fuse box..
This is where it's handy to have a simple/cheap multi-meter (to help locate the switched fuse as well as the "hot" side of the fuse slot)
In a pinch you could probably rig up/use a 12v light bulb and a couple lengths of wire to make a crude "test" tool.

Original fuse goes into the bottom, fuse for your USB in the top. (Original fuse should be of a higher amperage than the une you put in the top slot)

Last edited:
still have to be careful you're not over-currenting an OEM circuit
that fuse tap would be fine for some things
but I wouldn't use it for grip heaters or HID's etc

Like a usb port..?

Nor would I...

we are in complete agreement on this

there is the likelihood - very strong
that down the road aways
someone else will read this thread when looking to wire up peripherals
maybe carrying more current than a USB port

that is all

cheers Hack

A Deltran USB charger is an easy solution. Simply plug into your Battery Tender pigtail, then run USB cable to your device. No fussing with wires or fuses. About twenty bucks, available just about anywhere.

081-0158-USB-Charger-open-2017-new.jpg

A Deltran USB charger is an easy solution. Simply plug into your Battery Tender pigtail, then run USB cable to your device. No fussing with wires or fuses. About twenty bucks, available just about anywhere.

081-0158-USB-Charger-open-2017-new.jpg

That doesnt seem to solve any problems unless you unplug it every time. That is what the OP originally had, a constantly powered unfused usb converter.

That doesnt seem to solve any problems unless you unplug it every time. That is what the OP originally had, a constantly powered unfused usb converter.
Yep, I get that, but this works for me. Mine is strapped to a frame rail, always plugged in. The USB cable resides permanently on the bike and runs to the tank bag or anywhere I choose. Disconnect when charging the battery.

The draw is of no concern. Overnight? Who cares. No effect. If your bike will sit idle for an extended period, simply disconnect.

via Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom