selling my bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

selling my bike

JollyGreenGiant

Hello Gents,

I'm thinking of selling my bike and wants to get the best deal I can for it...
(personal reason)

please advise me:

when is it a good time to sell?
how much is the market value for it right now?
private sell? or sell to dealer?
any other steps I need to follow?

it's a 2013 Kawasaki ninja zx-6r with 25 000 km

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thank you

I'll let others speak to your other questions but as a "kijiji-hunter" I've found this time of year to be a buyers-market in general... this is the time of year when everyone's Christmas present credit card bills come due, and people tend to try to sell off "extra stuff" they no longer need.

Hello Gents,

I'm thinking of selling my bike and wants to get the best deal I can for it...
(personal reason)

please advise me:

when is it a good time to sell?
how much is the market value for it right now?
private sell? or sell to dealer?
any other steps I need to follow?

it's a 2013 Kawasaki ninja zx-6r with 25 000 km

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thank you

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
(can i have your gear?)

:(

Sell closer to start of the season to get better value.

Private sale will definitely net you the best return.

Last edited:
You will get the most for it selling it privately. It’s probably a little early for the best time to sell it but once it’s late Feb early March summer toys start moving. Take good clear pictures of the bike from multiple angles. Make the ad easy to read and include what you think can help it sell. I generally will go with a brief description then bullet points example being

Selling my 2013 Kawasaki ZX-6r with 25,000km. I’m the original owner and the bike is in good condition with no accidents or damage.
- new xxx tires 2000km ago
- xxx slip on exhaust
- oil changed every 5000km with Motul 5100 and OEM filter
etc

Selling certified for $xxxx

I’d go with something like that anyway.

That bike has a major service (valve check, plugs, filter etc) at 24,000km I think. If it’s done make sure you include that. If it isn’t expect people to try and use that to negotiate.

thank you sir,

I'll keep this in mind come spring/summer time

You will get the most for it selling it privately. It’s probably a little early for the best time to sell it but once it’s late Feb early March summer toys start moving. Take good clear pictures of the bike from multiple angles. Make the ad easy to read and include what you think can help it sell. I generally will go with a brief description then bullet points example being

Selling my 2013 Kawasaki ZX-6r with 25,000km. I’m the original owner and the bike is in good condition with no accidents or damage.
- new xxx tires 2000km ago
- xxx slip on exhaust
- oil changed every 5000km with Motul 5100 and OEM filter
etc

Selling certified for $xxxx

I’d go with something like that anyway.

That bike has a major service (valve check, plugs, filter etc) at 24,000km I think. If it’s done make sure you include that. If it isn’t expect people to try and use that to negotiate.

thank you sir,

I'll keep this in mind come spring/summer time
Sad to hear you're selling. Hope it's not for good.

According to bluebooktrader, selling privately, you should expect anywhere between 5 - 6.3k. Selling to a dealer will fetch you a whole sale rate, looking at 4-5k.

I was in the same conundrum last year, and ended up selling privately for a lot more than what dealer's were offering me. Granted I was selling a ST motorcycle, which is cheap to insure.

Problem with SS now is insurance. People who want them can't insure them, and people who can insure them (most) have outgrown them.

Like others have said, start of the season (around April I would say) is the best time to sell. I had good luck with Kijiji, not at all with Autotrader. The mistake I first made was I put up really crappy pics of the bike. Once I fixed that, bike sold within 2 days. So good pics are key.

Good luck and hope you change your mind once the riding season is in sight!

When I was selling my last bike, I had it listed on kijiji during the autumn with a few replies and low ball offers. I reposted in spring, April I belivie and it sold right after the first warm weekend we had. I got a fair price for it and the buyer got a great bike. I was happy it was a smooth transaction.

the tips from blackcamero are bang on. I had a ton of good photos and was straight up with the buyer on the history of the bike.

good luck

That bike has a major service (valve check, plugs, filter etc) at 24,000km
Correct. If the valve clearances were not checked/serviced and the spark plugs not replaced at 24K savvy buyers will likely expect $750 to $1000 knocked-off the price immediately depending what you're asking. At 25K mileage expect prospective buyers to also scrutinize the chain, sprockets and tires among other things.

Otherwise I'd say a '13 ZX-6R in decent shape going rate could generally be anywhere from $7,000 to $9,000 depending on the condition and mods.

One other thing to note, the ZX-6R is an extremely difficult bike to insure (at least affordably) – at least here in Ontario. Keep that in mind and be weary of buyers showing up who are under 30.

Last edited:
Otherwise I'd say a '13 ZX-6R in decent shape going rate could generally be anywhere from $7,000 to $9,000 depending on the condition and mods.

Not sure about how much mods can drive up the price, but I bought a 2014 cbr1000rr (with Akra slip on valued at 1.2k) last year with less than 4k km for under $10k. No one is buying SS because of insurance, and used SS prices have significantly dropped unfortunately.

Is the 2013 injected? I know somebody who sold her older carbed gixxer in the fall, and wants an injected ss to replace it. Her first bike was a ninja.

Hello Gents, I have finally decided to put my bike on sale, it's a Kawasaki supersport.

if interested, please pm for more info and pics!

Thank you

I've sold a few, here's how I look at it.

1) It's a market, price the bike to sell. Check auto trader and Kijiji, expect the lowest price you see for a compatible year and mileage.
I always set my price at $1 lower than the best Kijiji price for a comparable model, year and mileage and condition.
2) Certify the bike. You take 99% of the buyer's negotiating power away. It also gives many buyers a sense of security to know they bike is certified.
3) Hold firm on the price. Your argument is you are priced right, you're confident the bike is safe (certified).

You'll get more than the other listed bikes and it will sell fast.

US currency is worth $1.32 right now and their riding season is longer, sell it state side and capitalize on the crazy exchange rate.

Hello Gents, I have finally decided to put my bike on sale, it's a Kawasaki supersport.

if interested, please pm for more info and pics!

Thank you

Flash forward seven months

- peak buying season has passed
- Supersport insurance getting worse
- 2020 models coming soon so another notch on the year count
- should be listed in buy and sell

Back
Top Bottom