Glue | GTAMotorcycle.com

Glue

jc100

Is there a glue that’s semi permanent that I can use to fix some cable management covers/grommets (plastic) on drywall? These are plastic desk grommets that you fix in place using a holesaw. I just want to stop them rotating in place but also be able to remove them easily if necessary without causing too much of a mess.

I've never tried it on drywall but peelable caulk may do the teick. It used to be called draft stop but they have rebranded it a few years ago. I cant remember the new name, homenhardware normally carries it. Normally you use it to seal windows in the winter, then peel it off in the spring and throw it out.

Do you have a picture?

Trying to glue to plaster of paris isn't that easy, and the paper can tear.

If it's close to a stud, it might be easier to just throw a drywall screw into it.

Peelable caulk is the 1st answer, then Dap Alex caulk is second best. Silicone or any of the polyurethane adhesive/ sealants are more permanent and will make a small mess removing.

3M has some tape that releases when you stretch it but it comes on the back of coat hooks. It may be available in rolls but the peelable caulk sounds the simplest.

Assuming the DW is painted put a scrap of wallpaper around the hole and use whatever glue is on hand. When you want to remove the grommets hack them off and then peel off the wallpaper.

3M has some tape that releases when you stretch it but it comes on the back of coat hooks. It may be available in rolls but the peelable caulk sounds the simplest.

Assuming the DW is painted put a scrap of wallpaper around the hole and use whatever glue is on hand. When you want to remove the grommets hack them off and then peel off the wallpaper.

It was that 3M stuff that made me think of a glue that would behave the same but I’ll try the silicone. Wife is already none too impressed that I’m taking a holesaw to a few walls. I told her that once the cables are tidied away it’ll look better than it did before. This is for a marine aquarium, there’s about 10 power cords that I’d like to feed through the wall into a closet and hide them away. Also removes the power bar from near the water source in case of leaks. I also need to feed some airline tubing to carry water/additives to the tank under low pressure and at small quantities but that will be through a separate grommet.

It was that 3M stuff that made me think of a glue that would behave the same but I’ll try the silicone. Wife is already none too impressed that I’m taking a holesaw to a few walls. I told her that once the cables are tidied away it’ll look better than it did before. This is for a marine aquarium, there’s about 10 power cords that I’d like to feed through the wall into a closet and hide them away. Also removes the power bar from near the water source in case of leaks. I also need to feed some airline tubing to carry water/additives to the tank under low pressure and at small quantities but that will be through a separate grommet.

A friend had a salt water aquarium in his living room with the maintenance tanks in the basement. It was a nightmare of plumbing but it was a nice setup as the living room tank rarely needed to be touched. Very cool looking, just way too much work for me (and my wife kills goldfish so she's no help).

A friend had a salt water aquarium in his living room with the maintenance tanks in the basement. It was a nightmare of plumbing but it was a nice setup as the living room tank rarely needed to be touched. Very cool looking, just way too much work for me (and my wife kills goldfish so she's no help).

I've done most of the plumbing to a hidden tank in the stand. I’m starting to move some of the control stuff away from the tank and also add some piping for water top up (I only have a small tank buts losing several litres of water a day through evaporation) to a remote reservoir. It’s a fun hobby.

Why not just increase the O.D. of the grommet with a couple revs of masking tape, until it fits snug?

Last edited:
Why not just increase the O.D. of the grommet with a couple revs of masking tape, until it fits snug?

I think if I did that I’d be pulling a fair bit of drywall out if I need to remove them. Some adhesive under the flange should keep things nice and neat and in place.

Hot melt craft glue. Cheap af and will do what you want it to do in short order.

[video=youtube;UofY6lOQ-q0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UofY6lOQ-q0[/video]

Don't you hate that when you get hot melt glue on your finger and then you try to get it off with another finger and you're like ow oww and then the stuff is like burning you everywhere....

Velcro ties :D

Last edited:
Use a proper grommet that attaches on both sides of the wall.

Back
Top Bottom