What are you reading? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are you reading?

I'm finishing up The Outsider right now and was pleasantly surprised when characters from the Mr. Mercedes series showed up!

There are so many of his books that tie in to the Dark Tower series ... I had to search them all out while waiting for subsequent releases after book four of five. Eyes of the Dragon and Hearts in Atlantis, IIRC

More then that, The Stand is in there as well and I am sure even more that I have not read.

I forgot about Heats in Atlantis. I had first watched the movie before I had read the book and even knew it was connected to the Dark Tower. When I finally did get around to reading the book I loved it and way more interesting then the movie.

I have my nose buried in this right now.

209iu4z.jpg

Have read it cover-to-cover 28 times already.

Bought this a few years ago to read when i retired.It's time.And yes,it's written by "that" Brian May.The book comes with a stereoscope and sterioscopic pics inside.Really neat old technology.
images

Becoming by Michelle Obama was a lovely read. Such an intelligent/caring woman and mother.

I've always loved Jack Whyte, all his series but most specifically the Dream of Eagles series, just discovered a prequel "Burning Stone"

Happy chicklet

Thx for the Michelle Obama recommendation, I'll put it on my reserve list!

"We will soon be starting our descent into Ascension."
"Erebus: The Story of a Ship" by Michael Palin.
Fabulous read.

Just finished "Lone Rider: The First British Woman to Motorcycle Around the World" by Elspeth Beard. Fantastic read - thanks rotten_ronnie for the recommendation.

Trevor Noah: Born a Crime - interesting read (my wife is of South African descent)
John Sweet: The Dambusters Raid - very very technical and dry but interesting nonetheless
Steve Perry: The Bishop's Pawn - nice bit of fiction re: MLK's assassination
Stephen King: The Dead Zone - just finished it yesterday. Fabulous read, not sure how I missed it all these years.

Currently reading "Atomic Habits" phenomenal book
Also reading Sport riding techniques by Nick Ienastch, great book(finally found it for non insane prices)
In addition I'm reading Haynes motorcycle basics techbook, its hardly 'basic' fairly indepth book about motorcycle repair/maintenance/engineering I would say,
I know more about 2 stroke reed valves than I will ever need to know now.

Always look on the bright side of life: A sortabiography
Eric Idle

Great read.

Does ear reading with audiobook count?

Currently reading the Expanse novels. I'm on the 8th one.

I'd never had time to actually read but with audible, whenever I'm driving or at the gym, it's a great opportunity.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Does ear reading with audiobook count?

Currently reading the Expanse novels. I'm on the 8th one.

I'd never had time to actually read but with audible, whenever I'm driving or at the gym, it's a great opportunity.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Distracted driving

I recommend "Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us)" by Tom Vanderbilt.

A look at the subconscious mental processes and conscious rationale behind everything from merging early to feeling out a safe speed.
Stories about motorcycles are sprinkled in, though this is mainly about driving in general so focuses on cars.

Nevertheless has made me a more thoughtful driver and rider, and triggered more reflection on my own habits.

1572270408009.png

"The coddling of the American Mind". It tries to explain why kids (generation "I") behave like they do these days (trigger warnings, overly reactivist, etc). It's actually pretty interesting.

Thank you for this. I'm going to give it a read.

The original article in the Atlantic article back in 2015 was a fantastic read as well. I agree with it all.
How Trigger Warnings Are Hurting Mental Health on Campus

"The first section of the book focuses on three great untruths that the authors say now "dominate college campuses"[6]—untruths that have been increasingly included as part of American childhood and education. These include the Untruth of Fragility: What doesn't kill you makes you weaker; The Untruth of Emotional Reasoning: Always trust your feelings; and The Untruth of Us Versus Them: Life is a battle between good people and evil people.[6] The authors specifically target microaggressions, identity politics, safetyism, and intersectionality.[6] The authors say that these "Great Untruths" are the cause of many problems for young people, on university and college campuses and liberal democracies.[7] "

I like oldskool fantasy and even have my own favorites.
Recommend you to check Ursula le Guin and Andre Norton.

Back
Top Bottom