What are you reading? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What are you reading?

klr_guy

Site Supporter
Movies & TV are well covered, figured a book thread was due.

I'm formerly a voracious reader on vacation (I'd get through 5 books in a week), but would never read otherwise. About a year ago I decided to start reading every day during breakfast, at least a chapter or two of whatever interested me.

Here are some of my recent recommendations:

Big Game: The NFL In Dangerous Times
By Mark Leibovich

The Hellfire Club
by Jake Tapper

Currently reading:
The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town
By John Grisham

If anyone is into fantasy, there’s

The Wheel Of Time series (completed)
By Robert Jordan

The Stormlight Archive series (still ongoing...waiting patiently for the next book to come out)
By Brandon Sanderson

Currently reading book 4 of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King

Also enjoy books by James Rollins and Dan Brown....and manga :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A while back I caught up with some reading while travelling the Trent Canal. Read Farewell to Arms going one way and All Quite on the Western Front going the other. Spent the night at the locks catching up on the literature and it was very pleasant.

I would have read War and Peace but we weren't circumnavigating the globe.

I recently started reading again after a hiatus of many years (blame the internet). Mostly reading non-fiction except I just started 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' over the weekend and can't put it down.

Over the holidays I read:

'Blind Descent: The quest to Discover the Deepest Cave on Earth' by James A. Tabor

'The Bandidtos Massacre'
'Hard Road: Bernie Guindon and the reign of the Satan's Choice Motorcycle Club'
both by Peter Edwards

'The Road to Hell: How the Biker Gangs are Conquering Canada' by Julian Sher

Do we detect a theme here? I'm fascinated with biker culture, and have read many other books on the subject and no, I have no aspirations of becoming one!

[h=1][/h]

"The coddling of the American Mind". It tries to explain why kids (generation "I") behave like they do these days (trigger warnings, overly reactivist, etc). It's actually pretty interesting.

Rereading I, Claudius. I love historical fiction, but it has to be mostly accurate as far as dates/events.

Plus whatever I can find at the library that I haven't read. I can easily go through a book in a day if I let myself. Some of the current fiction included all of Fredrik Backman. Loved Bear Town and the follow up, Us Against You

Season of Storms by Andrzej Sapkowski. I finished rereading the three trilogies on the land of the true game earlier by Sherri S. Tepper, as well as Takedown by Patrick Brown.

What I'll probably look for next are old books: the Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy and Profiles in Courage by John F. Kennedy, if I can find them.

It seems that many Sci Fi books have been adopting the Romance book formulas, so I'm also looking for stuff that's more on the science fiction end, and less on the romance.

I used to read constantly but stopped many years ago. I do remember enjoying Isaac Asimov Foundation series. Actually read them a few times.

Andre Norton has some decent sci fi books as well. Nothing deep but entertaining.

For something 'lighter' I read Desmond Bagley. Action/adventure. Quick reads but very entertaining as well. One was made into a movie although I don't remember which.

A Kindle helped me get back into it again but only on trips where I have time to kill.

Last edited:
I read 'the subtle art of not giving a ****', I never read self help books , but its pretty entertaining.

just finished Stalin's Daughter, Celestial Navigation, and am reading a book on designing 12V electrical systems,

I dont read fiction or fantasy, spend an hour in my head you'll know why.

I’m more into autobiographies.I just finished Robbie Robertson’s autobiography “Testimony” and found out we went to the same high school in Scarborough.Great book if your into music.

Sort of on the topic, has anyone read Frankenstein by Mary Shelly? Not the movie.

I read it not as a horror story but instead a tragedy. That would explain a woman in the 1820's keeping to the norm of the time, heartbreak.

The movies tend to portray the creature as clumsy and inarticulate where the book shows him as intelligent and athletic.

Currently reading book 4 of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King

I love the Dark Tower series. I remember when it only went up to book 4 and I thought he would never finish the series. It is so big and vast. I thought he did a magnificent job and the series is up in my favourites along side Lord of the Rings.

If you like King, The Stand is phenomenal as well. You just have to get out of your head the tv series that the were horribly made.

I love the Dark Tower series. I remember when it only went up to book 4 and I thought he would never finish the series. It is so big and vast. I thought he did a magnificent job and the series is up in my favourites along side Lord of the Rings.

If you like King, The Stand is phenomenal as well. You just have to get out of your head the tv series that the were horribly made.

This is actually the first few books that I read by Stephen King. I’ve always equated his books to = horror and stayed far far away lol
My boyfriend said it wasn’t scary and I’ll enjoy them so started the series.

The Stand is excellent as is IT

This is actually the first few books that I read by Stephen King. I’ve always equated his books to = horror and stayed far far away lol
My boyfriend said it wasn’t scary and I’ll enjoy them so started the series.

He gets that a lot. He is a masterful story teller though and he interweaves his books. Characters or events in one book will be mentioned in another. IT is mentioned in 11/22/63, at least the town and events of IT.

Some stories people do not know are his are The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, and Stand By Me.

Back to the Dark Tower I would highly recommend avoiding the movie that came out last year... or 2 years ago. Just awful and really has nothing to do with the books save some things they pulled out of it to try and make the movie for a mass audience.

He gets that a lot. He is a masterful story teller though and he interweaves his books. Characters or events in one book will be mentioned in another. IT is mentioned in 11/22/63, at least the town and events of IT.

Some stories people do not know are his are The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, and Stand By Me.

Back to the Dark Tower I would highly recommend avoiding the movie that came out last year... or 2 years ago. Just awful and really has nothing to do with the books save some things they pulled out of it to try and make the movie for a mass audience.

I'm finishing up The Outsider right now and was pleasantly surprised when characters from the Mr. Mercedes series showed up!

There are so many of his books that tie in to the Dark Tower series ... I had to search them all out while waiting for subsequent releases after book four of five. Eyes of the Dragon and Hearts in Atlantis, IIRC

Back
Top Bottom