Lithium batteries - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lithium batteries

Re: Lithium batteries

I put a cheap Chinese lithium battery on my old Honda as an experiment. I suspect a lot of the Chinese so-called "lithium" batteries are in fact cheap nickel-cadmiums, judging by the way they keep a charge. I have a 4-cell on my CM250 that does the job but tends to run down if left for a few days, just like an NC bat. Glad I have a kick starter. Not willing to take it apart to see because of the toxic chemicals inside. It's super small and lightweight though. Currently out of the bike and on a li-ion maintainer. Any charging off the bike should be done in ceramic bowl. Things have been known to catch fire without warning.
    Last edited by Roadghost; Today at 10:48 AM.

Won't be a Ni-Cd battery - cannot be, the cell voltage isn't appropriate. LiFePo (and not other lithium chemistries!) works because its nominal cell voltage is almost exactly 50% higher than lead-acid, so a 4-cell LiFePo has the same nominal voltage as a 6-cell lead-acid.

It's probably self-discharging because it has an internal high-resistance short circuit. Good LiFePo batteries have a very low self-discharge rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadghost View Post
    I put a cheap Chinese lithium battery on my old Honda as an experiment.

I suspect a lot of the Chinese so-called "lithium" batteries are in fact cheap nickel-cadmiums, judging by the way they keep a charge.

I have a 4-cell on my CM250 that does the job but tends to run down if left for a few days
    The reasons the batteries are not performing properly and prematurely dying is because you've damaged them by installing them in vehicles that don't manage them properly. See my last response.

Vehicles not designed from the factory for lithium batteries should not be used with lithium batteries.
    --VTX1300 (Mine)
    ---Vstar 1100 (Wife)
    ----VStar 650 (Sold)
    -----GZ250 Marauder (Sold)
    Insurance Price Heat Map

Is it summer yet?

If your regulator regulates to 14.4 volts (typical sealed maintenance-free) it will work. If it regulates to less than 14 volts ((old flooded lead acid) it will kill a LiFePo battery. I replaced the stock crap regulator in my older bikes to make it work. I don't miss having to keep an eye on the water level...or getting stranded by a crap voltage regulator. I have a pile of dodgy stock FZR regulators and I've tossed a couple that obviously let out the internal smoke that makes them work.

Lithium batteries are great and all, but yeah, as Brian mentions...you need to make sure the bike is properly upgraded to play nice with them to begin with, otherwise you're potentially just wasting your money.
    --VTX1300 (Mine)
    ---Vstar 1100 (Wife)
    ----VStar 650 (Sold)
    -----GZ250 Marauder (Sold)
    Insurance Price Heat Map

Is it summer yet?