Brexit | GTAMotorcycle.com

Brexit

nobbie48

Site Supporter
Should this be in Trash Talk?

Have I missed something like "The subject is too inane for even GTAM."

P.S.

I have been advised by a moderator that political discussions usually end up in Trash Talk but this may be allowed to stay in RR if there is general overall benefit to the masses. Keep it polite.

Last edited:
There is a twenty page Brexit thread going on a sailing forum I read. Its a global sailing website so lots of UK/AUS/IRISH citizens and ex pats weighing in. Its a very informed group that are 'living it' and twenty pages in I don't really understand how they will sort it out.

It could be May's undoing in the long run, like Churchill saved the country in '45 then got the boot.

It could be May's undoing in the long run, like Churchill saved the country in '45 then got the boot.

She's got an unenviable job. She seems to be doing the best she can with the s&it cards she's been dealt, but there's no clear resolution that both the UK and Europe will agree to. Her political detractors at home have no better solutions, yet relish in throwing sticks and stones at her.

[video=youtube;9LK64vacCYk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LK64vacCYk[/video]

Last edited:
Here's an excellent, mostly neutral FAQ on the subject from the BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887

I scanned a lot of the article and wondered how many of the Brexit voters understood any of the items before they said "Leave".

The UK will survive. There will be winners and losers, just not sure who will be who and if the spin offs will affect us.

Any chance the voting machines were made by Joseph Lucas?

The

#1 google search topic in the UK
day after Brexit vote
was what is Brexit

very much the same sort of blind decision making
that culminated in the win for that orange idiot

and it's proven the Russians meddled with Brexit campaign as well

Most of the people that voted for Brexit are the people that head off to Benidorm in Spain to eat a “full English”, watch football and get drunk while turning slowly red on a Spanish beach. They like Europe enough when they do this.

I scanned a lot of the article and wondered how many of the Brexit voters understood any of the items before they said "Leave".

Populism at it's finest. Vote the way that you think will "fix" your perceived problems, or will "give the finger" to the establishment. The fact that you really have no idea what you're voting for other than someone yelling "I'll fix EVERYTHING!" (despite the fact they have no plan whatsoever, much less a realistic one) results in this.

People had NO idea what they were voting for...they just wanted something fixed that is really only going to become worse when they leave.

I'd almost guarantee that if they took the vote again it would be a landslide AGAINST leaving. Sadly only now do people finally understand what the hell they voted for.

She's got an unenviable job. She seems to be doing the best she can with the s&it cards she's been dealt, but there's no clear resolution that both the UK and Europe will agree to. Her political detractors at home have no better solutions, yet relish in throwing sticks and stones at her.

Pretty much. If it were me I'd have thrown in the towel after she was destroyed in the big vote last week and said "Fine, you have a better plan? Run with it, I'm outa here". The fact that they DON'T actually have a plan is why just a few days later she survived a confidence vote - the opposition has nothing better to offer, and they damn well know it - if they toppled the government, they would probably lose again and it would all be back to square one, except the UK probably would have exited with no deal during a snap election.

It's all a huge mess.

A simplified version is " Hello , let show them fellows across the channel whats what eh?? " , and it gets momentum since those pesky Poles are coming in and taking all the jobs.
Like every imigrant ever, they will do actual work for wages.

Then comes we shan't bend the knee to the EU. well yes you might. Scotland says we like the EU, your out maybe we stay in. Oy vey. Then we have that border in Ireland, we stay / you go?? and then there is the whole build border checks at the channel again. and the dozens of insurance and financial companies pulling out of the UK for Belgium/Luxumbourg/ that other place i cant spell.

And the opposition parties kicking sand at Ms. May, who may be smarter than the rest but has been left holding a turd rolled in flaming fish wrappers.

Well. Let's see how many companies pull out of the UK and relocate to mainland Europe now. I predict that in a couple of years the UK will be worse off than it is now...and maybe not so United any more.

I was reading some comments on various forums this morning and saw a common theme....people claiming that they have vanquished “communism” by voting conservative, people ignoring creeping privatization of the national health service, people claiming that the conservatives will fix the issues that they currently have, that were caused by the conservatives. Seems to be a bunch of common themes these days exploiting the less well read and more easily influenced.

Ah well, you reap what you sow.

Simple argument of Nationalism vs Globalism. Nationalist feel that is the state as a whole becomes more productive, that state deserves to enjoy the benefit, and conversely that an lazy or unproductive state ought to own the consequences. Globalist believe in equalization, that we should all share and suffer the same.

When a state is seeing the decline in standards, it will tend to become Nationalistic. When it sees others doing better, they will move towards Globalism.

You see that here in Canada to some degree. The West feels alienated and that their standards are declining as the east benefits from their riches. They are feeling Nationalistic. You saw this in the USA, years of recession, stagnant growth, and regional employment woes helped fuel a nationalistic wave in 2016. I'm sure this sentiment was rising in the UK as traditional culture and economic stress appears to be playing hard on the UK.

The master stroke, as I mentioned above, is claiming everyone else is responsible for the mess when the conservatives have been in power all that time.

People just hear what they want to hear at times.

fat blond idiots seem to appeal to the unwashed
here and south and overseas
Looks like Boris Thatchered the left - little chance of undoing Brexit now.

If the pendulum swings too far left, an industrious population reacts and brings things back toward center. You are seeing this in many democracies today.

On the blonde thing, I think that's just coincidence. Trump, Ford and Johnson share the same hair color, they are campaigned in democracies where majority rules - not the elite, not acedemia. I guess majorities are favoring smaller government, tighter border controls, and some curtailing of expensive social experiments that crush the public purse. Conservatives create division quickly, but they also create opportunity and are demonstrating some ability to unleash economic potential that is proving to leave their constituents better off. Over time and the pendulum will swing too far right and the leftists will regroup under the promises of a spending frenzy - they too will create division -- it just happens more gradually. Rinse and repeat.

Back
Top Bottom