So Finally I bought my First bike in Canada. Before hitting the roads.... | GTAMotorcycle.com

So Finally I bought my First bike in Canada. Before hitting the roads....

SentsunaKiryu

So Finally I bought my first bike in Canada and it's Suzuki GSX-S750ZA. So, Before hitting the roads coming summer, I wanted to know few thing that I need to follow while riding DownTown, Highways and Parking.

1. Where do we park our bikes, if suppose I go to watch a movie at Yonge-Dundas or anywhere Downtown?
2. For Malls or any place with huge Parking grounds, where do we park our bike so it is safe ?
3. On Highways, what are the things to be careful about (Granted - Stupid Four Wheels driver).
4. If suppose I want to test the bike against it's speed which highway is the best option (401 is not, I know, 400 is more like it but Not sure) ?
5. We can wear Action Cams, correct, It isn't Illegal, right ?
6. Should I enrol for the "Get your Feet Wet" courses, before Hitting the roads ?

Thanks,

most of this stuff you'll have to figure out on your own

going to a movie near Dundas Square I'd take the TTC
really good place to have a bike stolen from
or knocked over

parking at malls etc, get as near to the entrance as possible
I've never had an issue pulling the bike up onto the concrete aprons
of course not where people walk, look where other people park and mimic that

there is not a public road in Ontario where it's smart/safe to test the speed of a 750 gixxer
take in a track day for that

don't sweat the 400 series highways
they are boring, but not challenging to ride on

in town, people pulling out of driveways, parking lots etc
are going to be your biggest problems, especially left turners
over time you will get a sense for these cagers, and see it coming

forget about the cam, learn to ride the bike, enjoy it

rider training is always a good idea

You got an insurance quote for that before buying, I hope?

4. If suppose I want to test the bike against it's speed which highway is the best option (401 is not, I know, 400 is more like it but Not sure)

Now call back and ask for a new insurance quote with a licence suspension, stunt driving charge, and vehicle seizure on your record.
whistling.gif

On your body or on your bike, yes. On your helmet, no. There's another thread on this exact topic happening right now titled "Where to mount a Action cam". Go read it.

1. Where do we park our bikes, if suppose I go to watch a movie at Yonge-Dundas or anywhere Downtown?

I am not 100% sure, but I guess you can park motorcycles (meter) for free. But like another person had already pointed out, why take a chance and risk theft/vandalism/somebody backing into your parked motorcycle if you can avoid it? Take TTC to catch a movie.

2. For Malls or any place with huge Parking grounds, where do we park our bike so it is safe ?
I usually park closer to the entrance, where foot traffic is higher.

3. On Highways, what are the things to be careful about (Granted - Stupid Four Wheels driver).
Everything. Be alert to sudden slowdowns, don't be in blind spots of cars/trucks, be as visible as possble. Ride in city roads for at least a month before you hit the 400 series highways so you can get to terms with your bike and your capabilities.

4. If suppose I want to test the bike against it's speed which highway is the best option (401 is not, I know, 400 is more like it but Not sure) ?
Test it out early Sunday morning on any highway (I am talking about late spring or early summer when temperature supports early rides), even 401 traffic isn't bad early sunday mornings

Multiple threads posted here about legality. People have got tickets, but it's rare. I have worn action cam on my helmet (chin mount) for 2 years, and have never been pulled over. But I know that there is a chance i could be given a ticket for this.

6. Should I enrol for the "Get your Feet Wet" courses, before Hitting the roads ?
That depends on you, your prior riding experience and your confidence level. Nobody can tell you if you need it. I am sure it would help, but can't say if you need to enrol in one. However, if you are wondering about enrolling in a course like this- definitely take at least a month before you ride on 400 series highways.

Enjoy your 1st riding season- good luck!

Last edited:

I am not 100% sure, but I guess you can park motorcycles (meter) for free. But like another person had already pointed out, why take a chance and risk theft/vandalism/somebody backing into your parked motorcycle if you can avoid it? Take TTC to catch a movie.

I usually park closer to the entrance, where foot traffic is higher.

Everything. Be alert to sudden slowdowns, don't be in blind spots of cars/trucks, be as visible as possble. Ride in city roads for at least a month before you hit the 400 series highways so you can get to terms with your bike and your capabilities.

Test it out early Sunday morning on any highway (I am talking about late spring or early summer when temperature supports early rides), even 401 traffic isn't bad early sunday mornings

Multiple threads posted here about legality. People have got tickets, but it's rare. I have worn action cam on my helmet (chin mount) for 2 years, and have never been pulled over. But I know that there is a chance i could be given a ticket for this.

That depends on you, your prior riding experience and your confidence level. Nobody can tell you if you need it. I am sure it would help, but can't say if you need to enrol in one. However, if you are wondering about enrolling in a course like this- definitely take at least a month before you ride on 400 series highways.

Enjoy your 1st riding season- good luck!

Thanks for Details.

Thanks People for the advise, Much Appreciated. Also, I am not looking to test my bike against speed. And yes I will ride for more than a month on Streets before going to Highways.

@Roadrash - It's 2018.

@Itsme - Yes, I have my M2.

Thanks for Details.

Thanks People for the advise, Much Appreciated. Also, I am not looking to test my bike against speed. And yes I will ride for more than a month on Streets before going to Highways.

@Roadrash - It's 2018.

@Itsme - Yes, I have my M2.
Nice! In my personal experience, if you have prior riding experience, then riding on Canadian highways is no challenge. Watching out for idiots goes without saying wherever you ride. In fact, I believe riding in the city is way more challenging, experienced or not.

Edit: should mention, all of the above assumes you've driven a car on Canadian highways before.

Congrats! That's an awesome bike! :)

I agree with the above comments regarding Dundas Square specifically. I generally don't ride/park around there. Anywhere downtown: park for free at pay and display locations (street parking) at 45-60 degrees angle from the curb. There is also motorcycle specific parking around town too. There was a map showing the parking locations somewhere online...

Agree that somewhere visible with high foot traffic is best. I tend to have a quick look around to see where other bikes might be parked if it's a lot I'm unfamiliar with.

In addition to what's been mentioned, I would say road debris. I've had several near misses from random sh*t lying on the highways around the GTA - large rocks, scrap steel, wooden planks, wheel hub caps and an armchair make the list of things I've encountered in the last year of riding. Also, unlike some other countries, the use of four way flashers to warn other drivers of something up ahead is virtually non-existent here so 99% of the time, it's on you to see it. That being said, I always try to have a clear line of sight of what's up ahead so I usually pick my lane on the highway considering that.

Any highway early on a Sunday morning works. I'm close to the DVP so that's my highway of choice.

I have a chin mounted one on my helmet. Haven't had any issues to date.

What did it for me when I first started riding in Toronto a couple of years ago was choosing the time of day to ride. Early Sunday morning rides or super-early Saturday morning rides to get experience riding around town, getting used to the bike, safe speed, potholes, highways, drivers, pedestrians, cyclists etc... Then started riding late mornings and early afternoons on weekends, and finally commuting to work. Training is always good - but I guess if the goal is to get comfortable with riding around town, the best way to do it is to get that experience under your belt and, at first, doing it at times when the external risks are at their lowest.

Congrats on the bike and welcome to the addiction! I like the questions too, shows that you are open and willing to learn. Suggestion would be to invest in some rider training in order to make you the best/safest rider you can be. I'm a coach with the California Superbike School so feel free to ask any questions about rider technique and riding skills. I'm happy to answer questions and love talking about it when I'm not out riding/coaching!

As for testing speed on the street or Hwy?....take it to the track. The track is the safest place to test your skills and speed in a controlled environment, and it's hella fun too.

All the best! And please, fire off any questions if you have any!

A heads up on #4 in case you are not aware. The OPP have at least one plane that cruises over the 400 series highways and more. If you get clocked at 150kph+ on highway, they follow you till you are off the highway and direct a cruiser to intercept you then. Cannot run from a plane.... well maybe from a helicopter.

[video=youtube;SJWxQLXrO54]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJWxQLXrO54[/video]

Interesting Surrey B.C. chase. Rider got away, but RCMP impounded bike and fined owner who may or may not have been on bike $13000 according to another later video. You don't want to be that guy, track day is the way to go.

So I just spent the day installing a Sena C10 Pro system into my helmet only to find out now that the cam is illegal. I'm so upset to learn this. The dealer was very weary about customizations that I wanted to do that may have legal implications, but recommended this Sena system to me. ?

So I just spent the day installing a Sena C10 Pro system into my helmet only to find out now that the cam is illegal. I'm so upset to learn this. The dealer was very weary about customizations that I wanted to do that may have legal implications, but recommended this Sena system to me. ?
Well there's technically illegal and then there's the real world. Dont be a dick when you are talking to the police and you shouldnt get value-added tickets.

Well there's technically illegal and then there's the real world. Dont be a dick when you are talking to the police and you shouldnt get value-added tickets.

Thank you for the great advice, GreyGhost.

I've been wearing a GoPro knockoff chin mount cam for a couple of years. I have never been pulled over so far. Police cars have pulled alongside at lights, and have never once charged me for this.
I know that there are a few threads out here with people reporting getting tickets at other parts of GTA, but I have been spared so far. YMMV.

A few years ago police might have assumed you had the cam to capture stunts and high-speed splitting and other **** that "vloggers" typically do. Nowadays I think police might be more sympathetic to those that want a camera for the same reason people want dash-cams in cars; to capture the bad drivers and other threats we face. They might prefer a bike-mounted system but the near-360-degree coverage offered by a helmet cam has obvious advantages; I think they increasingly understand that.

Once you have a little bit of riding experience and understand the basic functions of a motorcycle, in particular a sport bike I strongly recommend considering advanced rider training such as

Racer5

This will teach you correct fundamentals in a closed environment. You will be able to explore the traction limits of a motorcycle in a safe and controlled way.

Back
Top Bottom