Where to mount a Action cam? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to mount a Action cam?

I just bought a Schuberth and it looks as though I could attach a Scala Rider clamp on it, as long as I'm careful of the sun visor mechanism.

Decided to go with Gary and Baggsy ideas. Mount it on fuel tank then probably in the drawer lol.

Thanks for the reminder. I have a Ubolt mounted behind my windshield and it looks dangerous without the GoPro case attached to it.

Also, if you do get a GoPro don't leave it in the waterproof case for an extended period. My camera itself got all sticky from doing so.

Sorry, there does it say that clamp attachments are allowed and adhesive are not?
Also, if you're referring to "smooth outer shell", let me remind you that there are no helmets with absolutely smooth outer shell. Any helmet with a top vent is not smooth anymore and should then be illegal.

Read my followup response.

As for intercoms, by the letter of the law, they too are probably not kosher, and I'm fairly confident I have read in the past of at least one rider here being given a ticket for it...but I can't be sure if it was here, or some other forum. Again, depends on the officer, and if he/she woke up on the wrong side of bed that morning, or you copped an attitude, etc.

However, it's been my observation that the sportbike guys are far more likely to catch the attention of LEO's vs the guy like me on a couch doing the same thing.

Hate to say it, but it comes full circle to the image of the sportbike crowd vs the old farts on cruisers crowd. You can thank the douchenozzles who participate in things like "ride of the 6ix" and the "5 mile long 401 wheelie squid" for that perception being placed upon you by both LEO's as well as many other motorists, and accordingly, attracting unwanted attention.

(c) have a hard, smooth outer shell lined with protective padding material or fitted with other energy absorbing material and shall be strongly attached to a strap designed to be fastened under the chin of the wearer;

Sorry, there does it say that clamp attachments are allowed and adhesive are not?
Also, if you're referring to "smooth outer shell", let me remind you that there are no helmets with absolutely smooth outer shell. Any helmet with a top vent is not smooth anymore and should then be illegal.

What I'm trying to say is that both clamp and adhesive attachments are equally legal or illegal. And if they are NOT legal (Sena, Cardo, etc.) they should not be legally sold in Ontario (like radar detector)

Just because using a product in a specific manner is not legal doesn't make it illegal to sell or buy them.

Again, the law is vague, most laws are. It's about how the police interpret it and if the court agrees or not. For now, the courts are in agreement and people are eating tickets.

However, you do make a point. People should be eating tickets for bluetooth setups then too, but i haven't heard of one yet.

I just bought a Schuberth and it looks as though I could attach a Scala Rider clamp on it, as long as I'm careful of the sun visor mechanism.

Thanks for the reminder. I have a Ubolt mounted behind my windshield and it looks dangerous without the GoPro case attached to it.

Also, if you do get a GoPro don't leave it in the waterproof case for an extended period. My camera itself got all sticky from doing so.
Could you share some pics of your installation? I have C4 and C3 Pro. The neck collar sits in a groove of a helmet shell. How are you going to insert the clamp between the collar and a helmet shell (without damaging the collar) is beyond me...

Read my followup response.

As for intercoms, by the letter of the law, they too are probably not kosher, and I'm fairly confident I have read in the past of at least one rider here being given a ticket for it...but I can't be sure if it was here, or some other forum. Again, depends on the officer, and if he/she woke up on the wrong side of bed that morning, or you copped an attitude, etc.

However, it's been my observation that the sportbike guys are far more likely to catch the attention of LEO's vs the guy like me on a couch doing the same thing.

Hate to say it, but it comes full circle to the image of the sportbike crowd vs the old farts on cruisers crowd. You can thank the douchenozzles who participate in things like "ride of the 6ix" and the "5 mile long 401 wheelie squid" for that perception being placed upon you by both LEO's as well as many other motorists, and accordingly, attracting unwanted attention.
Just because using a product in a specific manner is not legal doesn't make it illegal to sell or buy them.

Again, the law is vague, most laws are. It's about how the police interpret it and if the court agrees or not. For now, the courts are in agreement and people are eating tickets.

However, you do make a point. People should be eating tickets for bluetooth setups then too, but i haven't heard of one yet.
Well said. Completely agree with both of you.
Just wonder, whether these tickets treated the same as speeding, etc. by insurance company?

Well said. Completely agree with both of you.
Just wonder, whether these tickets treated the same as speeding, etc. by insurance company?

Not even that, more like a parking ticket.

I think the actual charge is “improper helmet”.

The ****** part is that they can potentially park you on the side of the road and make you have someone bring you a replacement helmet if they wanted to. Typically you just get the ticket and a warning to “take all that crap off your helmet”, but again.....wrong side of bed, all that Jazz.

Not even that, more like a parking ticket.

I think the actual charge is “improper helmet”.

The ****** part is that they can potentially park you on the side of the road and make you have someone bring you a replacement helmet if they wanted to. Typically you just get the ticket and a warning to “take all that crap off your helmet”, but again.....wrong side of bed, all that Jazz.

Maybe everyone should carry turban with them to avoid this? Crazy law... You are allowed to ride without helmet, but you can't attach a tiny BT to it

I haven't ridden after they made the helmet exemption for Sikhs, I wonder if I will see any this season riding w/o helmets.

.............it's been my observation that the sportbike guys are far more likely to catch the attention of LEO's ...............

Yes, LEO have a fair amount of discretion in who they stop and how tickets are issued. I been using a Scala for 10 years and never had an issue.

A little tip.If you use your camera on a group ride,make sure you have the permission of all the other riders before posting anything up on youtube etc.Not everyone likes their activities posted where anyone and everyone can see them.

Javafan "appears to be a problem in the Lyndsay area"

Hey, I don't have any problem with it. The town is Lindsay. L

A little tip.If you use your camera on a group ride,make sure you have the permission of all the other riders before posting anything up on youtube etc.Not everyone likes their activities posted where anyone and everyone can see them.

Hogwash,

No one has any expectation of privacy in public.

I have found that for day-to-day use, helmet mounting results in video that's stomach turning. Since I've got a naked bike (EN650), mounting on the mirror stem results in more stable video that follows my direction of travel better. Sure, I can't turn to point at something alongside, but that has never really been an issue. A camera ahead and one behind, and the wide angle view does pretty well. I would recommend fairing mount on a sportbike.

Hogwash,

No one has any expectation of privacy in public.

It's not about expectation of privacy. You can certainly record anyone in a public place, in Ontario (Quebec riders beware). It's about being polite and decent to your fellow riders which seems to be something in short supply in these "MeMeMe!" days.

It's not about expectation of privacy. You can certainly record anyone in a public place, in Ontario (Quebec riders beware). It's about being polite and decent to your fellow riders which seems to be something in short supply in these "MeMeMe!" days.

I did miss the 'group ride' part (go selective reading!)

In this instance i would concede it's fair to ask. That being said, i would say the door swings both ways.

Last edited:
I have found that for day-to-day use, helmet mounting results in video that's stomach turning. Since I've got a naked bike (EN650), mounting on the mirror stem results in more stable video that follows my direction of travel better. Sure, I can't turn to point at something alongside, but that has never really been an issue. A camera ahead and one behind, and the wide angle view does pretty well. I would recommend fairing mount on a sportbike.

Are you referring to the wobble/vibration or the sudden head movements? If it's the former it's likely the person did not have a cam equipped with Image Stabilization. More current cams use this tech and it's pretty cool. For example, held in your hands it eliminates the 'bobbing' associated with footsteps.

Are you referring to the wobble/vibration or the sudden head movements? If it's the former it's likely the person did not have a cam equipped with Image Stabilization. More current cams use this tech and it's pretty cool. For example, held in your hands it eliminates the 'bobbing' associated with footsteps.

Sudden head movements.

I did miss the 'group ride' part (go selective reading!)

In this instance i would concede it's fair to ask. That being said, i would say the door swings both ways.

I would, however, encourage any and all participants in those massive highway-blocking rides to use cameras at all times ;)

I would, however, encourage any and all participants in those massive highway-blocking rides to use cameras at all times ;)

Yo, gotta vlog my ride bro, my subs need content, and my rad 5km long wheelie on the 401 is just the fix. Big stacks from YouTube rolling in soon.

Back
Top Bottom