Where to mount a Action cam? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to mount a Action cam?

they usually come with an assortment of mounts
I like it on the windshield
can use one of the screen mounting bolts to attach a quick release bracket

On your helmet, chin for best results.

Until an OPP officer decides to give you a ticket for it. Can't adhere stuff to helmets. Mostly unenforced, but an easy "gotcha" ticket, or an add-on if you're pulled over for something else.

If nothing else, it increases your heat score.

Until an OPP officer decides to give you a ticket for it. Can't adhere stuff to helmets. Mostly unenforced, but an easy "gotcha" ticket, or an add-on if you're pulled over for something else.

I'm well aware. I've had conversations with police at meets/on the street and they're staring right at it. Never got so much as 'tsk tsk' from them. They do and should have far better things to enforce then this.

Are you running the risk? Sure. Is it the best mounting point? Imo, yes.

EDIT: In retrospect it's likely cause of the GROM. It's loud as balls and if roll by cops they just laugh. If i was on a SS i imagine they would be less amused.

Last edited:
For 99% of people. You need two. On swivel mounts.

First one goes on the back of the bike leading you, second goes on the front of the bike trailing you.

After a couple of runs, watch the videos, find out how awful you are, then mount them both in a junk drawer, or sell them.

Chin mount is the best mount by far. Also stuck to the underside of the visor on a dirt bike helmet is good too, it just gets in the way of goggles. If neither of those, leave the GoPro at home, because the footage is trash mounted anywhere else.

Also if your biggest concern while riding is getting pulled over for having a GoPro on your helmet, you've got your priorities out of order.

What's the difference between chin mounted camera and side mounted Sena then? Are you saying BT on a helmet is illegal? I don't see any note on Sena, Cardo etc. that they are "for off-road use only"...

What's the difference between chin mounted camera and side mounted Sena then? Are you saying BT on a helmet is illegal? I don't see any note on Sena, Cardo etc. that they are "for off-road use only"...

Because the Bluetooth communicators are largely attached via a 'clamp' system, so it's not really fixed to the outside shell of the helmet.

Where as, Action Cams are typically attached via an adhesive mount.

I believe the law basically says you`re not allowed to fix anything to the shell that disrupts the naturally smooth surface of the helmet.

Because the Bluetooth communicators are largely attached via a 'clamp' system, so it's not really fixed to the outside shell of the helmet.

Where as, Action Cams are typically attached via an adhesive mount.

I believe the law basically says you`re not allowed to fix anything to the shell that disrupts the naturally smooth surface of the helmet.

I suppose, you're talking about a mount, not a device itself, because both cameras and BT's clamp to mounts.
All BT's come with 2 mounts: clamp type and adhesive type. According to your logic - clamp type mount is legal and adhesive is not? I'd call it BS!
BTW, I wear Schuberth helmets and there is absolutely no way to use clamp type mount, thus I have to use adhesive. Am I breaking the law? :)

Also, what about this mount (not in terms of usability, but legality)?

81smS7pmHnL._SL1500_.jpg

91lbiVWzgcL._SL1500_.jpg

I suppose, you're talking about a mount, not a device itself, because both cameras and BT's clamp to mounts.
All BT's come with 2 mounts: clamp type and adhesive type. According to your logic - clamp type mount is legal and adhesive is not? I'd call it BS!
BTW, I wear Schuberth helmets and there is absolutely no way to use clamp type mount, thus I have to use adhesive. Am I breaking the law? :)

81smS7pmHnL._SL1500_.jpg

91lbiVWzgcL._SL1500_.jpg

Couldn't tell you, i'm not studied up on interpretation of the law in regards to that image.

Yes it would appear you`re breaking the law.

As for what is or isn't BS, i didn't write the law (as i'm sure you`re aware they're all fairly vague for a reason), i can only pass along what i've heard and seen.

Also, not to nit pick, neither my BT device (which i no longer use) or my fiances came with adhesives. /shrug

Last edited:
Also if your biggest concern while riding is getting pulled over for having a GoPro on your helmet, you've got your priorities out of order.

Not a giant concern to me in the grand scheme of things (I actually have a Go Pro mount on one of my helmets so I'm hardly completely innocent), but I also don't like doing things that might waste my time on the side of the road somewhere and leave me with a ticket, so I rarely use it, and on the occasions I have (which was last several years ago) it was for short periods of time simply to get a shot of a certain stretch or road or whatever.

Others who want to wear them every second of every ride for whatever possible reason will feel differently. Whatever.

Yes, if it's adhered to the helmet it's against the law. Heck, even that decal in the photo of the helmet you posted is also against the law.

Like I said, this is rarely enforced, but it sometimes is - the luck of the draw is if the officer cares, or not. And the law itself in the HTA is written vaguely enough that the crown knows how to make the argument well enough to make the charge stick - this topic has been beat to death here and in every other MC forum out there, and in Ontario..if you get charged with it, you're going to eat the ticket.

Yes, if it's adhered to the helmet it's against the law. Heck, even that decal in the photo of the helmet you posted is also against the law.

Could you share the official source (HTA?) of this information? Specifically, I'd like to see there it states that adhesive attachments to a helmet are illegal, but other types of attachments (clamps, etc.) are not.

Decided to go with Gary and Baggsy ideas. Mount it on fuel tank then probably in the drawer lol.

Could you share the official source (HTA?) of this information? Specifically, I'd like to see there it states that adhesive attachments to a helmet are illegal, but other types of attachments (clamps, etc.) are not.

it's legit
been posted here in several threads
appears to be a problem in the Lyndsay area
OPP there have a problem with it
and have a 100% conviction rate

Section 1C

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900610/v4

Again, beat to death here in the past. Just try searching for "helmet smooth outer shell" or related keywords and it should turn up about eleventy million threads from years passed.

it's legit
been posted here in several threads
appears to be a problem in the Lyndsay area
OPP there have a problem with it
and have a 100% conviction rate

This.

Highway Traffic Act
R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 610
SAFETY HELMETS

1. A helmet worn by a person,
(a) riding on or operating a motorcycle; or
(b) operating a motor assisted bicycle,
on a highway shall,
(c) have a hard, smooth outer shell lined with protective padding material or fitted with other energy absorbing material and shall be strongly attached to a strap designed to be fastened under the chin of the wearer; and
(d) be undamaged from use or misuse. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 610, s. 1.

So what i should have said earlier is "the courts and police believe you're
not allowed to fix anything to the shell that disrupts the naturally smooth surface of the helmet."

Last edited:
For the record, I'm not saying I agree with the law (the argument that a sticker or a gopro mounted on a flimsy plastic mount) is going to somehow cause the helmet to shatter or end up in my cranial cavity is weak, I agree. Heck, most modern helmets manufactured today no longer have a "smooth outer shell" because of vents, controls for visors, and even just the plain design of the helmet shell itself.

But I'm just stating the law and how it's been interpreted in court many, many times.

Until someone with very, very deep pockets appeals a charge high enough and convinces a judge or any of these arguments however, we are all wasting our breath. You get charged with a helmet infraction for having stickers or gopro mounts, or cameras, or whatever on your helmet, you might as well just pay up and move on.

Hell, ask any 81 member - when they get pulled over and officers can't actually find anything to nail them on, they often ride away with a helmet ticket in the end because of a sticker on their bucket.

Section 1C

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900610/v4

Again, beat to death here in the past. Just try searching for "helmet smooth outer shell" or related keywords and it should turn up about eleventy million threads from years passed.

This.
(c) have a hard, smooth outer shell lined with protective padding material or fitted with other energy absorbing material and shall be strongly attached to a strap designed to be fastened under the chin of the wearer;

Sorry, there does it say that clamp attachments are allowed and adhesive are not?
Also, if you're referring to "smooth outer shell", let me remind you that there are no helmets with absolutely smooth outer shell. Any helmet with a top vent is not smooth anymore and should then be illegal.

What I'm trying to say is that both clamp and adhesive attachments are equally legal or illegal. And if they are NOT legal (Sena, Cardo, etc.) they should not be legally sold in Ontario (like radar detector)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom