Thinking of going Trail/Supermoto | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thinking of going Trail/Supermoto

ScorpionT16

I currently ride a 2016 CB500X, love the bike, though with the new 2019 changes made, and the Yamaha+KTM 700 adventure bikes announced, I'm thinking of saving some money to buy one of those when they come out. I'm looking at Husaberg TE450 now, with supermoto setup, or a WR456, blue plated bikes that I can take to the trails. We have a F-150 truck with the bike ramps, so hauling one isn't an issue. Though I would like days to ride on the street, to work etc...

How fun are these bikes, are there alot of places to ride a trail bike here in ontario, apart from oil changes and basic maintenance, are they costly? Would anymore recommend owning such bikes? I know it's preference, last year I used the bike for 80% commuting, and 20% touring, can a single supermoto do some touring, like from here to Ottawa?

Those are two solid offroaders but they're also big, heavy, powerful for real trail riding plus they're old and parts are less common. They'd both be not much fun doing a Toronto to Ottawa trip.
Since you've got a truck to haul I'd suggest picking up a true dirtbike for trail riding (great bikes can be found for $3000) and keep the CB500X.

Those are two solid offroaders but they're also big, heavy, powerful for real trail riding plus they're old and parts are less common. They'd both be not much fun doing a Toronto to Ottawa trip.
Since you've got a truck to haul I'd suggest picking up a true dirtbike for trail riding (great bikes can be found for $3000) and keep the CB500X.
100% agreed.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Good advice

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Awesome, thanks for the solid advice. I'm on Kijiji, and can't seem to find any decent dirtbikes (Jap/austrian brand, non-chinese) ones for under $3k, and fairly new as you mentioned. Heck, even older ones are all under 250cc. I don't mind a 250cc, though at that point I might just get a Honda CRF250 Rally. I've grown up around dirt bikes and ATVs in Kenya, did the Trail Tours bike thing last summer, and found the 250s a little low on power, I'm 6ft tall and 180lbs too, doesn't help.

Next option maybe a Yamaha 660 raptor quad, though my main gripe with owning both a CB500X and Dirtbike/ATV, is storage and space, we have a single car garage and just enough space for one bike.

You can have a good street bike, and a good dirt bike, but you wont find both in one bike. If you try you will get a bike that is mediocre at both.

DR-Z400 is a good example. I had one (DR-Z400SM) that I used for street, track, and trails(21/19 dirt rims). It did everything but it really isn't a great dirtbike, or a great touring bike. Although it is a pretty great around town do dumb stuff bike. I had a lot of fun on it, and it is a great bang for your buck, but having a dedicated dirt bike is much better.

A te450 or WR450 are decent trail bikes but a bit on the heavy end. They would be pretty fun in the city but terrible for highway/touring. The maintenance is a lot higher than what you're used to on a street bike.

As far as proper dirt bikes it depends if its 2-stroke or 4-stroke. A 250cc 2-stroke is A LOT of bike, especially an MX bike. Even 125cc 2-Stroke are very fast in the powerband. The KTM 150-200cc 2-strokes are awesome trail bikes because they are so light and nimble. 4-stroke wise 450s are also a lot of bike to muscle around in tight trails. I personally find the 250 4-stroke the perfect amount of power and weight for trails/enduro riding. Although if you go to a race the vast majority of riders are on 2-strokes.

If you thought 250cc 4-stroke dirt bikes were down on power you really wont like the CRF250 Rally. It is a detuned CRF250 with a lot more weight. The stock suspension is junk. It really is not a good offroad bike in stock form.

Whatever you do, don't buy a quad.

I have a crf250l non rally and it does me well on single tracks. I am a dirt noob but I can see myself having fun on it for a few more seasons. With the right tires it's very fun on street too just not highway.

As stated before there isn't one bike for it all. Luckily for me I have a gsxr750 for track and street. Eventually I'd want a fz09/xsr to replace the gsxr and a dedicated dirt bike to replace the crf250l

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for the solid advice. I'm on Kijiji, and can't seem to find any decent dirtbikes (Jap/austrian brand, non-chinese) ones for under $3k, and fairly new as you mentioned. Heck, even older ones are all under 250cc. I don't mind a 250cc, though at that point I might just get a Honda CRF250 Rally. I've grown up around dirt bikes and ATVs in Kenya, did the Trail Tours bike thing last summer, and found the 250s a little low on power, I'm 6ft tall and 180lbs too, doesn't help.

Next option maybe a Yamaha 660 raptor quad, though my main gripe with owning both a CB500X and Dirtbike/ATV, is storage and space, we have a single car garage and just enough space for one bike.

Try to find a YZ250 2 stroke, it's pretty much the same bike since 2006. Throw a flywheel weight on it to tame it down and have it put the power down a little smoother for the woods and have a blast. You'll probably be able to sell it for whatever you pay for one.

To answer your original question a 450 enduro/dual sport is the last bike you want to tour on. I had a KTM EXC and it's an awesome bike to take out for an hour on the street and do stupid stuff with but that's about it for street riding. You couldn't pay me enough to ride one from Toronto to Ottawa.

Do a real bunch of extensive research of where you think you are going to off road before you buy.Trespass fines are very expensive.

lots of good advice here, thanks. Am looking at some YZ250s now, does anyone know if getting a green plated bike+insurance, and removing the CB (blue plated Ins) counts as continuous insurance, or is it a gap?

Asking because I have a younger bro, and if we both like dirt bikes, Id pick another 125 or something for him so we ride together and forgo the CB all together or street, and just do 100% off road. I don't want a gap in the insurance year and have to start all over if I decide to get a street bike later on.

Oh and where can one ride these bikes, legally?

Off road insurance won't count as continuous coverage on a motorcycle. I have both types of policies and have stopped street riding before and it didn't help.

Ganaraska forest and Simcoe Country forest are going to be your two main riding areas if your looking to trail ride. Gopher dunes has trails as well as their track. If your interested in riding mx tracks I can post a list of those as well.

Yup, 05up YZ250 2T (not YZ250F). Solid do-everything offroader. Reliable, light, manageable power, good suspension, parts cheap and everywhere. Should be able to find a good one for $3k and resell it years later for the same. Can doddle along slowly and learn on it or keep up to anything else in the woods.
For anyone getting back into dirt or wanting to try it (with a solid bike experience) the YZ250 is usually my go-to. My good street/track riding buddy wanted to get back into dirt after 20yrs away last year so I rec the YZ250. He picked up a clean 15YZ250 for $5k and is loving it.

Do a real bunch of extensive research of where you think you are going to off road before you buy.Trespass fines are very expensive.

I came here to say this. I have gone from dual sport to mx bike, back and forth many times. Now have both again but thinking of selling my yz250f.. same old story. Be honest with yourself about how often, and where you will ride. Anytime I get a mx bike it usually ends up sitting due to plans falling through with riding buddies and having to haul the bike 1.5-2.5 hours away to the track or legal trails. If you'll actually ride often then yes go for it. I used to have property with a track, but thats long gone due to trespassers being able to see it from a busy road and being too much of liability while no one was around to monitor it.

I definitely get more use out of the dual sport even though its 1/4 of the performance.

I came from the race atv world and had the opportunity to ride a few bikes while in the off-road circles. I started riding on a custom chopper and soon realized that I wanted to ride further in a day. So I bought a Harley touring bike and man it was comfortable. But after 3 years I found the dirt calling me back.
not willing to give up the touring I have now moved to a 2015 KTM 1190 adventure.
im just getting started on this bike but I will say it’s going to take some getting used to. She’s big and heavy and has a Lot of power. Phenomenal on the street. I can’t wait to start hitting the fire roads and rail lines this spring.

Back
Top Bottom