Oil Change Necessary? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Oil Change Necessary?

arogal

Hi guys,
Yes I know....another oil related question. Did search and couldn't find anything related to this.
Put a new stator & rectifier in my bike last September. I only put on about 800kms on it before the end of the season. I've always changed my oil before winter storage (its always had over 2000km at that point though), but didn't bother doing an oil change before winter storage as the oil was still fairly fresh.
Would you recommend doing an oil change before spring, or am I good to go? I use Motul 7100. I know it wouldn't hurt to do one...just not sure if its necessary or not.
Thanks

as long as you aren't cranking the engine and idling or going for short runs you aren't really breaking down the oil.

If you are questioning it, change it. I’d rather ride without having second thoughts.

Personally, I like to start the season off with fresh fluids.

To hell with the environment and sure, it’s not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as long as you aren't cranking the engine and idling or going for short runs you aren't really breaking down the oil.
Haven't started it since its been stored. Battery is out on tender, and I don't plan on starting it until I ride.

I agree with Nakkers - May not be necessary, but if you're questioning it, then do it.
It's relatively inexpensive, quick & easy peace of mind.

in almost all cases
the answer is no

but if your engine is not running well - rich
and the bike is open to the winter elements
I'd be changing that oil before putting it back in service

If it was me I'd have changed the oil as part of the winter storage prep. If I hadn't done that then I'd change it in the spring. I don't know what bike you have, how many km it has on it, where you store it or how long you intend to keep it, but oil is dirt cheap vs. any type of oil failure or wear related repair. Needless to say others will disagree.

In OPs case, may not be needed
but I always start new season with fresh fluids...

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I would most certainly NOT bother with the time nor expense of changing oil with only 800KM on it. Chances are if you pulled some out you'll still find it's golden.

Now, if you're one of those sorts of people who likes to start your bike once a week and idle it all winter long, then yeah, you're going to have all sorts of moisture in it and a change in the spring makes sense...but since you've mentioned you're not one of those sorts (good), you're just fine. Ride it come spring.

If it was me I'd have changed the oil as part of the winter storage prep. If I hadn't done that then I'd change it in the spring. I don't know what bike you have, how many km it has on it, where you store it or how long you intend to keep it, but oil is dirt cheap vs. any type of oil failure or wear related repair. Needless to say others will disagree.
I have a ’09 ZX6R. It has just under 30k on it. It is stored in underground parking (no, not in Toronto lol) which temps don’t reach bellow 2c. Put a rag in the pipe and it’s sitting on 2 stands with a cover on it.
Got it Dyno’d last year and it’s running very well…not too rich/lean.

I would most certainly NOT bother with the time nor expense of changing oil with only 800KM on it. Chances are if you pulled some out you'll still find it's golden.

Now, if you're one of those sorts of people who likes to start your bike once a week and idle it all winter long, then yeah, you're going to have all sorts of moisture in it and a change in the spring makes sense...but since you've mentioned you're not one of those sorts (good), you're just fine. Ride it come spring.
Haha yep, not one of those people. What’s the point ofstarting the bike if you are not going to ride it. To me that would only want me to ride it more LOL! She’s been sleeping since November L

Last edited:
I changed my oil in September and put bike to sleep in December with 1200km on the new oil. I am not gonna redo oil change because of 3 month winterization. Seems like a waste.

I always wonder if people are as religious as they seem with oil when it comes to their cars as well...

I always wonder if people are as religious as they seem with oil when it comes to their cars as well...

doubt it
modern cars have oil life systems that adjust intervals based on type of use
I had a Ford that never told me once, in the 3 years of driving it, that it needed an oil change
I ran synth oil and did it at 10k anyway and reset the oil life thingy
I bet there are a lot of the 3 year lease crowd that don't do it at all unless the car says so

doubt it
modern cars have oil life systems that adjust intervals based on type of use
I had a Ford that never told me once, in the 3 years of driving it, that it needed an oil change
I ran synth oil and did it at 10k anyway and reset the oil life thingy
I bet there are a lot of the 3 year lease crowd that don't do it at all unless the car says so

Well to be fair to the lease crowd, why waste money on maintenance? That just drives up your cost of ownership with no benefit to you.

Back
Top Bottom