Advice on the BEST motorcycle eyeglasses

not being argumentative
but polarized lenses are completely unusable with my preferred helmet
internal sunshade, visor with fog resistant pinlock insert
cannot see a damn thing through that combo with polarized glasses
normal sunglasses are fine
normal scrip glasses are fine
but of course everyone is different

It's probably because one of the lenses in your helmet is also polarized. Double polarization can indeed screw up your vision, or in some situations, result in no vision at all if the lines of polarization don't line up.

It's indeed something to keep in mind for those with full face helmets. My full face on the flipside however has just a standard clear unpolarized lens so I can still wear my choice of glasses behind it.

have you thought of Lasik? My sister and two relatives got it done, and a co-worker. All fed up with getting prescription glasses, spending on frames, contacts for events, etc... If your covered for it, may be an option, quick and relatively painless now days, back to normal in 2-5 days.

Eyes too precious for any fcu kups done by the doctor ....

I keep considering Lasik..especially now that my wife has a benefit plan that, with some planning, would cover it.

What stopped me in the past were two things - it would have invalidated my pilots licence medical for a year or two. Not really a big deal anymore now that I'm not flying regularly anymore, but it was then.

And secondly, I have a relative who had a less than ideal experience with it...but it was long ago in it's early days. It's been refined a lot since then and if the failure or problem rate was actually really high you'd hear a lot of people screaming (and suing) over it. Reality is, you don't.

I do however suspect that my prescription wouldn't be eligible for it anyways in the end, but I might go and inquire.

@privatepilot if you consider lasik, imho, I would stick with TLC, Bochner, etc

More expensive but most of the reported eff ups come from the mall type $500 lasik ops

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

@privatepilot if you consider lasik, imho, I would stick with TLC, Bochner, etc

More expensive but most of the reported eff ups come from the mall type $500 lasik ops

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk
Lasik is hit or miss mine went great but lasik md messed up my wifes big time her vision is worse now than pre surgery. They keep saying no problem it is fine and might get better 3 yrs later.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

... Double polarization...
;) is called cross-polarization, a polarized filter which is literally a series of straight lines imprinted on the glass should align in the horizontal direction but if you add a second polarizing filter and rotate that one relative to the first filter, then the combined filters effectively occlude all light from being transmitted.

That's how you can identify a pair of polarized sunglasses, just take a second pair, align the lenses in sequence and rotate one relative to the other, if it goes black you have 2 pair of polarized glasses.

4sSqu.jpg

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger. Going 2 routes:

1) Daily Contacts and off the shelf KDs (x2), xKD, and a set of RayBan Clubmasters.
2) Prescription Smiths LowDown and SPY Dirty Mo

Back
Top Bottom