Tell Ontario you want better motorcycle insurance - the petition is live | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tell Ontario you want better motorcycle insurance - the petition is live

I saw a Facebook post from this guy Vijay Thanigasalam. He posted the link to the gov survey. I think he is the in MP(P) in my local area, Scarborough. Might be worth trying to reach out to him. He put his contact details in a comment.
416) 283-8448
vijay.thanigasalamco@pc.ola.org

Looks like it's slowing a bit. Everyone that's already signed, be sure to at least double up by getting your spouse or significant other to sign up as well, they too are indirectly effected by this. If this ends up going somewhere (which is the best shot we've ver had so far), we will all end up saving literally thousands of dollars - that we deserve - in a relatively short period of time with the kind of insurance reform we need. This is a big deal.
We are at about 650 signatures, not too bad for a week. It would be nice to hit 1000 by the 15th -- we're collecting about 60 each day so that should be doable.

Now comes the heavy lifting. Once we hit 1000 or Feb 15 (which ever comes first), I'll setup a meeting with the MPP from my riding, Paul Calandra. I don't know him personally however he did give me a sit down a few years ago when he was a Fed MP -- I was looking for help in a local matter -- he's very approachable and last time we met -- very helpful. My plan is to open a dialog and get some guidance as to how we might best get traction on the issue.

I've connected with a leading direct MC insurer, I'm working to get some time with a product manager to better understand what can and cannot be done under the law. From what I have learned so far, insurers are able to be a lot more creative than they are. I'll see where that goes.

The biggest issue I still see is the strength of voice. The existing lobbies have zero interest in changes unless they benefit them. The national CMA lacks interest and probably lacks the ability to get a seat at the table. The ON Gov appears interested now, it's hard to say whether they have the fight, energy and willingness to spend political capital on insurance reform.

My thoughts are starting to gel on how to move forward and I see 2 possible fronts. 1) Get loud enough to influence gov't to make changes to the existing insurance regulations. 2) Bring 1000 riders to a direct insurer and ask them to develop a product & pricing that best suits our needs.

Any other ideas?

So far 700+ have shown support. I have made initial contact with 1 large insurer, gotta a telephone meeting setup with a VP responsible for marketing and products designed for special groups. Looks like 500 motorcyclists is enough to get the attention of a senior exec - lets see where it goes.

It would be great to see 1000 signatures, something symbolic about that number!

I'm also trying to get a feel for the number of riders that 1) insure 2 or more bikes, and 2) would insure 2 or more bikes if the incremental costs of N+ were minimal and the insurance was restricted to a single owner/rider.

I would also be interested if liability was attached to rider. Would like to here the insurance industry's argument against this.

Most companies have gone away from 'off road' use policies, i.e. policies with no liability for track bike storage and just fire/theft. This used to be a cost effective from State Farm. Allstate doesn't really offer this anymore, at least not with a competitive price. It would be nice to see an option on the market.

So far 700+ have shown support. I have made initial contact with 1 large insurer, gotta a telephone meeting setup with a VP responsible for marketing and products designed for special groups. Looks like 500 motorcyclists is enough to get the attention of a senior exec - lets see where it goes.

It would be great to see 1000 signatures, something symbolic about that number!

I'm also trying to get a feel for the number of riders that 1) insure 2 or more bikes, and 2) would insure 2 or more bikes if the incremental costs of N+ were minimal and the insurance was restricted to a single owner/rider.

Most companies have gone away from 'off road' use policies, i.e. policies with no liability for track bike storage and just fire/theft. This used to be a cost effective from State Farm. Allstate doesn't really offer this anymore, at least not with a competitive price. It would be nice to see an option on the market.
Finally got a meeting with a leading Ins co exec. We spoke briefly today -- no headway yet but the dialogue has started and they decided a sit down is worth it. They did set low expectations however though it was worth a face to face meeting next week. It seems like 1000 policies might be hitting their sweetspot, any thoughts as to what might encourage 1000 bikes to collectively swing over to an insurer. Toss out some ideas.

Finally got a meeting with a leading Ins co exec. We spoke briefly today -- no headway yet but the dialogue has started and they decided a sit down is worth it. They did set low expectations however though it was worth a face to face meeting next week. It seems like 1000 policies might be hitting their sweetspot, any thoughts as to what might encourage 1000 bikes to collectively swing over to an insurer. Toss out some ideas.

I think many riders will be on the market for renewal or new policies in the next couple months. And I would say that price or better coverage for the same price can convince people to switch..

... any thoughts as to what might encourage 1000 bikes to collectively swing over to an insurer. Toss out some ideas.
If the government takes it over 100% of us will be going with it and it would look good on them to lose the profits.

When did this become a thing?

I called AllState recently to do this; they said I needed to pay for insurance for track usage. I asked them what the **** because we can't claim (or simply don't want to, we're on track after all, not street.) They couldn't give a rational answer.

At this rate I'm very close to dropping my motorcycle insurance. Feels like I'm getting ****ing robbed. Why do I need to pay for full coverage if I'm not riding the thing on legal roads?

Any thoughts as to what might encourage 1000 bikes to collectively swing over to an insurer. Toss out some ideas.

Too late for me to switch to another insurer this year, since my policy had to be renewed by Feb 16th. New policy is already paid in full.

However, if an insurer was able to offer a better price for coverage under a group plan I would switch over in a heartbeat next February.

Agreed as Malks above...I'm paid up for this year already but if I can find a better price for the same (or better) benefits then I'm definitely able to switch in a heartbeat. Especially if I can have more than 1 bike, and not pay insurance for each one as if though it's independent. Good work MM. Thanks for the efforts!

Price plain and simple i have 4 bikes insured with td if another company could do better i would switch in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I use TD as well, I have 2 policies with them to cover 6 bikes. Here's how it works

The first policy covers my daily rides (DL650 and FJR). At renewal time I pay for the FJR because it's more expensive which saves the trouble of getting the rates reset. Once I get my slip, I switch the policy over to my DL, another slip comes so now I have slips for both bikes - that is simply for convenience. I can call TD from 8 to 8 MF and on Saturday till 4 to switch bikes, it takes about 5 minutes, they send an immediate email confirming and I'm done.

I do the same on my antiques.

It's not 100% convenient, but I figure it saves me $750 on the DL insurance and $1200 on the antiques.

I use TD as well, I have 2 policies with them to cover 6 bikes. Here's how it works

The first policy covers my daily rides (DL650 and FJR). At renewal time I pay for the FJR because it's more expensive which saves the trouble of getting the rates reset. Once I get my slip, I switch the policy over to my DL, another slip comes so now I have slips for both bikes - that is simply for convenience. I can call TD from 8 to 8 MF and on Saturday till 4 to switch bikes, it takes about 5 minutes, they send an immediate email confirming and I'm done.

It's not 100% convenient, but I figure it saves me $750 on the DL insurance and $1200 on the antiques.
That is a decent strategy i have 4 policies 2 of them are under 250 a year so no big deal and sometimes my wife rides the Ducati while i am riding the KTM but i could add another bike that way.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Need more info, one policy for two bikes, and then switch...when and for how long, each month?...how often?.....can't see any insurer putting up with this for long.

Need more info, one policy for two bikes, and then switch...when and for how long, each month?...how often?.....can't see any insurer putting up with this for long.
It's an intriguing concept, but yes, I wonder how this could work effectively.
If there are any insurance industry people reading this thread, why not consider designing coverage for individuals who own 2 or more street bikes? Something like a 'flex package' where one could easily toggle coverage from one bike to another (back and forth), activated via email or web app.
The implied premise being that you could only ride 1 motorcycle at a time. The bike corresponding to the 'deactivated' coverage could not be ridden until 'reactivated'; only 1 bike able to be actively insured for street use at any given time; mutually agreed upon intervals, for example 24 hrs, 48 hrs, 72... or at the individual's discretion.

Such a level of flexibility would be fantastic.

Hypothetical 2-bike scenario: week 01 - ride bike A; week 02 - ride bike B; week 03 - ride bike A Monday to Thursday and ride bike B Friday to Sunday. Structured as a singular dynamic coverage plan -- let's say, for example $1,000 full coverage for both bikes, as opposed to 2 separate standalone policies ($1,000 full coverage policy X 2).

Last edited:

Had no idea TD allows that. If switching bikes on one policy is possible, that opens up so many possibilities. Going to give TD a call to find out more.

Back
Top Bottom